• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana? What will happen?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have seen valuable people let go in the business world because it came out that they were seeking alternate employment. On one level, it makes sense that Contador was trying to cover his bases during the Astana affair. On another, he has been making all kinds of alliances to protect against real or perceived threat from Lance taking over as leader. Bottom line is that Contador has never been what I would call leadership material. Like him or hate him, Lance knows how to lead a team and that is what we can count on him doing come July 4. Contador just screwed himself.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I still think we will be able to infer a lot from the picks to fill up the last slots of the team. Again, as a reminder, Contador's english is very poor.

Communication has been a problem for Menchov, when he moved to Rabobank. No one could ever guess what the "sfynx" was up to, he was unclear, and intransparant. Riders never knew what he wanted and how he wanted it. That makes it difficult for a team to fully put its weight behind the designated leader. Breukink (ONCE) was one of the people who did speak spanish, and could communicate with him. Most dutchies on the team couldn't.

If Contador does not get to take his buddies Noval and Paulinho on the team, it's the way the article says, he will be completely isolated. If he isn't proficient enough in english, how the heck is he going to order the boss around. I doubt he would have dared to do that even if he had been born in Mile End or Bethnal Green!

When a leader falters, (like Menchov in 07) another one (has to) step(s) up to the plate (like Rasmussen 07)...

I think you forget that Lance speaks spanish. Its the primary language for the state of Texas. I remember in HS, yes i grew up in Texas, there were classes specificly for English as a Second Language.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
I have seen valuable people let go in the business world because it came out that they were seeking alternate employment. On one level, it makes sense that Contador was trying to cover his bases during the Astana affair. On another, he has been making all kinds of alliances to protect against real or perceived threat from Lance taking over as leader. Bottom line is that Contador has never been what I would call leadership material. Like him or hate him, Lance knows how to lead a team and that is what we can count on him doing come July 4. Contador just screwed himself.

I agree with this statement. If I was Contador's boss I would be pretty ****ed to learn about this in the press.....especially if it was something not said before he was out looking for other employment. I think Lance's comment only can make you beleive Contador was looking without Johan's blessing..........i don't see it being Garmin where he goes to.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Sounds about right to me. Why does anyone think Contador is happy with the current situation. He said at the start of all this, that he wasn't. I think he's just now being professional and biding his time.

Contador will NOT be riding for Bruyneel next year. You can take that to bank.

And yes, this is a problem for Astana. Find Levi's recent interview with Velonews. Doesn't sound like he thinks Contador is the leader. Levi's even laboring under the notion that he could win. LA has said he's there to win in the same interview. Screw his earlier comments about supporting Contador. LA's there to support LA.

I personally think Levi and Lance will work together. Not sure who'll support Contador on Astana. Might be pathetic to see them both dropped on major climbs though. Levi's incapable of responding to Contador's accelerations. LA we don't know about yet.

We could see some fun in the mountains. Suppose Contador puts in one of his attacks and drops LA. Who'd be surprised to see Levi pacing LA back to Contador?

Bruyneel's really screwed the pooch on this one. Losing Contador will be something he'll regret. And Bruyneel will be left without a tour contendor.

I'm hearing that Johan really likes Andy Schleck. And that he might go after him like he did Basso when he was with Riijs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
I think you forget that Lance speaks spanish. Its the primary language for the state of Texas. I remember in HS, yes i grew up in Texas, there were classes specificly for English as a Second Language.

Not to attack you in any way, but from the fact that it is taught in (some) schools as a primary language (general), you can't logically infer that Lance speaks Spanish (specific). English is taught in dutch schools as well, and some still don't really speak it (well enough).

So my question is, does he actually speak spanish, or what is his proficiency? :confused:

greenjersey said:
Lance will be right there; he is fit and ready to take over if ASTANA needs a leader.
IMO, LA will support Contador and still make the podium.

LA "still making the podium after riding in support of Contador,", is the daftest theory I've heard, yet.
IMO: If LA can do both, he'll riding for number 1, solely for the number 1 spot.
Unless, there's another Lance out there....

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.
Hinault/LeMond 1986 ring any bells?

Bagster said:
LOL, What Giro were you watching! Armstrong supported Levi all the way through, even dropping back to support him on the climbs. Hate LA if you like, but internalise it, don't spout drivel in public

No, I think we can leave the drivel spouting in your capable hands.

jackhammer111 said:
Levi was great in support of Contador in 07.
If you call sitting on Contador's wheel for a whole Vuelta and disappearing on every major Giro climb great help......

Mellow Velo said:
LA "still making the podium after riding in support of Contador,", is the daftest theory I've heard, yet.
IMO: If LA can do both, he'll riding for number 1, solely for the number 1 spot.
Unless, there's another Lance out there....

Does he have a Chimera like Hamilton?! :eek:

Bala Verde said:
Not to attack you in any way, but from the fact that it is taught in (some) schools as a primary language (general), you can't logically infer that Lance speaks Spanish (specific). English is taught in dutch schools as well, and some still don't really speak it (well enough).

So my question is, does he actually speak spanish, or what is his proficiency? :confused:

No kidding. I'm from Texas and the only Spanish I know is how to count to 10 and about 10 other words. Now, my French is much, much better...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi everybody....

Looking back at the original article it is claimed that the Contador move was revealed by an Astana team source.

I dont think anyone can blame Contador for looking for an alternative team -and for wanting to bring two of his loyal riders with him - when the funds for the team appeared to be exhausted.

So, who could benefit from the release of this information now? As this has the potential to fracture the team.
Could this be the first 'attack' of the 2009 Tour?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
No kidding. I'm from Texas and the only Spanish I know is how to count to 10 and about 10 other words. Now, my French is much, much better...

Ok, well, if that's the case and may I, for the sake of the argument, assume that Lance is intellectually not your inferior (please take no offense, I know I might be pushing it :eek:), Contador's conversation should be along the lines of

AC (speaking slowly): "Yo soy el numero uno. Tu eres cualquier otro numero..."
LA (pointing at himself): "Numero uno"
AC: "NO, NO". (pointing at himself) "Numero Uno", (pointing at lance) "Numero dos!"
LA: :confused:

;)

**Uru** said:

I can't imagine how many Tours one can expect Contador to miss for the sake of loyalty. He signed with Bruyneel initially because of his sterling rep in the grand tours and it has worked out with the exception of missing the 2008 Tour. One has to look out for themselves when the roof is caving in. If you look at Gerolsteiner last year the management was giving the okay for riders to pursue their own interests when there was the chance that they would not find a replacement sponsor. Contador was looking at possibly missing the Tour for a second consecutive year. How can one be under contract when the contract isn't being honored by one of the parties? Doesn't that make the contract null and void in some cases? Loyalty? Loyalty to a sponsor that isn't paying you? I know if I was working for someone and they hadn't paid me for several months, I would definitely be looking for another job. Its called self preservation AND common sense.

The supposed "alliances" are a figment of over active imaginations. In the Dauphine he was riding conservatively, measuring his efforts versus Evans. It just so happens to have benefited the race leader, who just so happened to be a Spaniard riding for a Spanish team. Coincidentally that team happens to be the only Spanish team that he could sign with that is taking part in the Tour. All coincidences that when put together have folks creating drama where there is none. The fact that he is said to have been close to signing with Garmin and not Caisse should be proof of that. There has been absolutely nothing to back up any type of alliance or connection between Contador and Caisse D'Epargne other than in the forums. I don't recall seeing any media blurbs mentioning that a source said that Contador was talking with Caisse D'Epargne reps. The Caisse reps were too busy trying to use their influence in getting Valverde into the Tour.

Now of course if anyone has any links to refute me please post them. I'd love to read them.

Bala Verde said:
Ok, well, if that's the case and may I, for the sake of the argument, assume that Lance is intellectually not your inferior (please take no offense, I know I might be pushing it :eek:), Contador's conversation should be along the lines of

AC: "NO, NO". (pointing at himself) "Numero Uno", (pointing at lance) "Numero dos!"

;)

AC to LA: numero uno es la cantidad de cojones que teneis!!! (number one is the quantity of balls that you have!!):D

Bala Verde said:

;)

LOL!!! I just sprayed my monitor with juice laughing at that one!!

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

Sorry, I really wish there was a sarcasim emote as I was really being sarcastic. English is the primary language of Texas, but my HS did really have an ESL class for those that spoke spanish or another language as their primary language.

I have a feeling Armstrong knows some spanish, maybe not totally proficient, but he does seem to have loyalty with Ruberia and i am sure he would help with translating if Contador needs it.

I am sure they can communicate okay. Get put into a mix of languages, and you get used to trying to communicate. I have a friend who is French, but speaks fluent English and Spanish. He knows I speak some Spanish and bits of French, so he speaks to me in this strange mish-mash of languages that pleases him (being French and from Paris, it's no use changing him). You get used to it after a while.

My understanding is that Lance speaks pretty good French, and bits of other languages (plus English, duh). If he learned Latin-American Spanish growing up, that is pretty different from what they speak in Spain. The Spaniards tend to force their language to me, the inflections are often wrong and out of place. It's like learning the Queen's English, then traveling to Lubbock, Texas. Yeah, it's all "English", but...

Argentinean Spanish is even more peculiar, any Spanish speakers ever listen to that? Strange rolling words and it sounds like Italian, but the words are Spanish!

Anyone watch the start of the Giro when the interviewer asked Gilberto Simoni questions mostly in French, and he answered mostly in Italian?! Then after the interview ended, Gibo turned to the camera "Good bye!"

Anyone know how much English or French Contador speaks? Those would be the two most likely languages he would learn growing up into cycling. But like I said, I'm sure they communicate okay in a mish-mash of languages. Must be fun being a fly on the wall.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I am sure they can communicate okay. Get put into a mix of languages, and you get used to trying to communicate. I have a friend who is French, but speaks fluent English and Spanish. He knows I speak some Spanish and bits of French, so he speaks to me in this strange mish-mash of languages that pleases him (being French and from Paris, it's no use changing him). You get used to it after a while.

My understanding is that Lance speaks pretty good French, and bits of other languages (plus English, duh). If he learned Latin-American Spanish growing up, that is pretty different from what they speak in Spain. The Spaniards tend to force their language to me, the inflections are often wrong and out of place. It's like learning the Queen's English, then traveling to Lubbock, Texas. Yeah, it's all "English", but...

Argentinean Spanish is even more peculiar, any Spanish speakers ever listen to that? Strange rolling words and it sounds like Italian, but the words are Spanish!

Anyone watch the start of the Giro when the interviewer asked Gilberto Simoni questions mostly in French, and he answered mostly in Italian?! Then after the interview ended, Gibo turned to the camera "Good bye!"

Anyone know how much English or French Contador speaks? Those would be the two most likely languages he would learn growing up into cycling. But like I said, I'm sure they communicate okay in a mish-mash of languages. Must be fun being a fly on the wall.

It's actually amazing how much these guys learn from years in the peloton. Now that Maggie Backstedt is commentating on cycling.tv you almost always get a translation of the post-race interview as he has a decent idea of what's being said no matter what language is being spoken.

Sheltowee said:
I'm hearing that Johan really likes Andy Schleck. And that he might go after him like he did Basso when he was with Riijs.

A. Schleck just has to look at how Contador was screwed over to make that decision. Saxo is a fantastic team. Riis is a better strategist and tactician than Bruyneel. His team has been able to win all types of races from classics to GTs with a wide variety of riders. The Schlecks would be crazy to leave.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
I have a feeling Armstrong knows some spanish, maybe not totally proficient, but he does seem to have loyalty with Ruberia and i am sure he would help with translating if Contador needs it.

Yes I see that working very well with Lance yelling at Rubiera, who's 10 riders back: "Tell Contador I'm going to attack"...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
A. Schleck just has to look at how Contador was screwed over to make that decision. Saxo is a fantastic team. Riis is a better strategist and tactician than Bruyneel. His team has been able to win all types of races from classics to GTs with a wide variety of riders. The Schlecks would be crazy to leave.

But Astana really has to start looking for new riders. Look at the ages of Leipheimer, Klöden, Zubeldia (and Armstrong). They're all seniors. The only young and upcoming gun I can think of is Brajkovic and he doesn't seem to be progressing that fast. They really need a new support rider for Contador in 2011 at least. And if they want to think about winning other races...

RdBiker said:
But Astana really has to start looking for new riders. Look at the ages of Leipheimer, Klöden, Zubeldia (and Armstrong). They're all seniors. The only young and upcoming gun I can think of is Brajkovic and he doesn't seem to be progressing that fast. They really need a new support rider for Contador in 2011 at least. And if they want to think about winning other races...

Evidently they are doing amazing things with drugs these days. Leipheimer gets better every year. By the time he is forty he will be winning every GT every season.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
If you call sitting on Contador's wheel for a whole Vuelta and disappearing on every major Giro climb great help......

Dude! 07 at the tour.... not 08