• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Coming from someone who has never had any problem accusing riders of doping if they beat his favourite riders:rolleyes:

Like who? Valverde and Conta. These two guys are young and upcoming indeed. Future of cycling for many years yet.

Please.... :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
but it depends on the innate talent of a rider.

a rider might be talented enuff to pull off 6w/k

but a rider who is limited to 5w/k might also be able to do 6w/k, but with a little assistance. say, like a 41yo at the Vuelta.

we aint all created even, we aint all created with LEmond like numbers. Some just have their genes against them, even on the off the bell curve end of pro cycling peloton

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
...a rider might be talented enuff to pull off 6w/k

but a rider who is limited to 5w/k might also be able to do 6w/k, but with a little assistance. say, like a 41yo at the Vuelta.

we aint all created even...

1+

That´s the mistake the all-are-dopers posters do. They can´t extract talented (and maybe a lit assisted*) performance from obvious über doped performance.

Aru is young and gradual progressing, Horner is old and has not even been on a GT roster his age.

Some clinic guys are blinded like naive fanboys. Both groups can´t distinguish because of their fanatism...

* Who isn´t in 2014? It starts with power and chemical/genetic enhanced food, goes trou so-called energy drinks and ends with a pill for these and that (sleeping, headache, painkillers, psycho pills, and what else)...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
1+

That´s the mistake the all-are-dopers posters do. They can´t extract talented (and maybe a lit assisted*) performance from obvious über doped performance.

Aru is young and gradual progressing, Horner is old and has not even been on a GT roster his age.

Some clinic guys are blinded like naive fanboys. Both groups can´t distinguish because of their fanatism...

* Who isn´t in 2014? It starts with power and chemical/genetic enhanced food, goes trou so-called energy drinks and ends with a pill for these and that (sleeping, headache, painkillers, psycho pills, and what else)...

Ricco was also young and progressing but I suppose he is in a special category.

May 19, 2014
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Richie Porte also did well in the Baby Giro. Amateur results don't always correspond to what happens later. Roman Sicard ? Many good amateurs never reach the top pro level. Same in most sports.

I remember reading a CN(?) article comment which cited an off-the-record French journalist who dismissed Sicard as "a rider created in a lab," or something to that effect.

Yes, all very Internety--I can't even find the original comment now--but I am reminded of that characterization every time his name comes up. Especially since he has done nothing before or since 2009 while better riders with stronger palmares as espoirs--Coppel springs to mind--are ekeing out careers at Pro Conti level.

Aru is very narrow on a TT bike, I'll give him that; I saw a head-on shot on Eurosport and found myself wondering where the rest of him went.

hrotha said:
Yes, hence the "very promising rider" bit. He still took a ridiculously large step forward all of sudden in this Giro.

He's almost 24, so the perfect age to podium a GT if you're Coppi Gimondi Merckx Lemond Anquetil Bartali Hinault Fignon. I don't get why scrapping around in 5th to 20th for few years makes you more likely to be clean. There's not really anything physically to gain in those years and unless you grew up outside the system you worked out how to train when you were 14. If you take any longer than that you're dismissed as a transformation doper.

There is nothing in the timing to suggest he is a doper, in my view it is an argument in favour of him being clean. And if someone who was the best climber after Novikov and Dombrowski for 2011-12 looks dodgy podiuming a GT, then who doesn't?

movingtarget said:
Richie Porte also did well in the Baby Giro.

Porte won the tt.

Which is why no one has ever held his tt performance against him.

He did nothing special in the mountains which is why when he dropped even Quintana and everyone else on bonsacre while only half trying and trying to chat with other riders, it got a different response.

Fagniniwins said:
I remember reading a CN(?) article comment which cited an off-the-record French journalist who dismissed Sicard as "a rider created in a lab," or something to that effect.

Yes, all very Internety--I can't even find the original comment now--but I am reminded of that characterization every time his name comes up. Especially since he has done nothing before or since 2009 while better riders with stronger palmares as espoirs--Coppel springs to mind--are ekeing out careers at Pro Conti level.

Aru is very narrow on a TT bike, I'll give him that; I saw a head-on shot on Eurosport and found myself wondering where the rest of him went.

So the future looks like the Vertically Challenged against the Stick Insects. Next time they meet could be interesting probably in Tour 2015. What a shame we can't seem to get all of the best GC riders in the one GT anymore. Would have been fascinating to see how Froome, Nibali and Contador would have gone in this race.

The Hitch said:
Porte won the tt.

Which is why no one has ever held his tt performance against him.

He did nothing special in the mountains which is why when he dropped even Quintana and everyone else on bonsacre while only half trying and trying to chat with other riders, it got a different response.

I obviously misheard. I thought he went well in the overall.

movingtarget said:
So the future looks like the Vertically Challenged against the Stick Insects. Next time they meet could be interesting probably in Tour 2015. What a shame we can't seem to get all of the best GC riders in the one GT anymore. Would have been fascinating to see how Froome, Nibali and Contador would have gone in this race.
indeed. cold weather works against the stick insects, so disadvantage froome on the 16th stage. he would have smoked the others in the flat TT and mountaintop finishes however, so depends how much bonking in the cold would have costed him.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
1+

No, he is not. If this is gradually progressing, within a 5 years he'll finish the Tour de France a day before the others.

TRENDING THREADS