• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Athelete of the decade

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else here think the naming of Tiger Woods as athelete of the decade as bogus ? I doubt he gets his heart rate near 100 anywhere outside of bed; Lance like him or not, does represent someone from a sport that requires peak condition, training, planing and all that; and he didn't just bow out when he won the Triple Crown, he came back again and again; he was a kid (younger than most of his competitors) when he started and an old man ( older than his competitors) today- and he's still going at it. I mean, like really, golf is not a sport- it is a waste of time ( and a boring one at that ).

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
Anyone else here think the naming of Tiger Woods as athelete of the decade as bogus ? I doubt he gets his heart rate near 100 anywhere outside of bed; Lance like him or not, does represent someone from a sport that requires peak condition, training, planing and all that; and he didn't just bow out when he won the Triple Crown, he came back again and again; he was a kid (younger than most of his competitors) when he started and an old man ( older than his competitors) today- and he's still going at it. I mean, like really, golf is not a sport- it is a waste of time ( and a boring one at that ).

And golf requires precision, technique and probably a bunch of other things I'd know about if I actually followed golf (say training and planing). Really comparing athletes in different sports is always pointless, but the fact that you dislike golf has no bearing on that.

As for LA not bowing out when he won the triple crown what are you talking about? The Triple Crown usually refers to the Giro, the Tour and the WC in the same year. Sometimes any 2 GTs and the WC and sometimes all three GTs, but Lance has never won 3 of those let alone in the same year.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Bedroom athlete....maybe

These "awards" are generally bogus, usually a meaningless PR exercise by some self-appointed gits intended to generate a few column inches.

Any sport that can be played and won by fat bastards is not played by 'athletes'. It may still be a sport (just) but athletes they are not.

As for "precision and technique", that is required for tiddly-winks or marbles but no one is suggesting that the dominant players in those 'sports' are athletes. Sheesh!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Not really surprised. The sooner he recovers from this and regains his image in the public's eyes, the faster the "cash cow" gets back to work. He makes a ton of money for a lot people, not just himself. Including the AP...which voted for him.

Just look at Kobe Bryant...he's loved once again is he not?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hard to compare. Especially since a lot of sports had a shady (start of the) decade (like baseball and cycling)

Federer and Woods seem right. Phelps should be up there.
Any boxing fans here? I thought the Klitschko brothers did something special the last years.

Any sport that can be played and won by fat *******s is not played by 'athletes'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Perry_(American_football)

Pure athlete.

ak-zaaf said:
Hard to compare. Especially since a lot of sports had a shady (start of the) decade (like baseball and cycling)

Federer and Woods seem right. Phelps should be up there.
Any boxing fans here? I thought the Klitschko brothers did something special the last years.

Klitschko's are good, but they haven't beaten anyone special. It would be akin to winning a Tour de France with your toughest opposition for the podium being George Hincapie, Jurgen van den Broeck and Sandy Casar.

If you want to look at a great boxer, someone's already mentioned him, but look no further than Manny Pacquiao. Wins in 6 weight classes this decade with victories over some of the top boxers of the decade like Barrera, Marquez, Morales (who he beat twice and lost to once) Cotto, and the biggest name in Oscar de la Hoya. The way he did it was so impressive too. Top guy, would definitely be in my top 10 athletes of the decade.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Klitschko's are good, but they haven't beaten anyone special. It would be akin to winning a Tour de France with your toughest opposition for the podium being George Hincapie, Jurgen van den Broeck and Sandy Casar.

If you want to look at a great boxer, someone's already mentioned him, but look no further than Manny Pacquiao. Wins in 6 weight classes this decade with victories over some of the top boxers of the decade like Barrera, Marquez, Morales (who he beat twice and lost to once) Cotto, and the biggest name in Oscar de la Hoya. The way he did it was so impressive too. Top guy, would definitely be in my top 10 athletes of the decade.

Thanks for that, I'm off to youtube :)

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
Anyone else here think the naming of Tiger Woods as athelete of the decade as bogus ? I doubt he gets his heart rate near 100 anywhere outside of bed; Lance like him or not, does represent someone from a sport that requires peak condition, training, planing and all that; and he didn't just bow out when he won the Triple Crown, he came back again and again; he was a kid (younger than most of his competitors) when he started and an old man ( older than his competitors) today- and he's still going at it.

I agree.

rata de sentina said:
Any sport that can be played and won by fat bastards is not played by 'athletes'. It may still be a sport (just) but athletes they are not.

As for "precision and technique", that is required for tiddly-winks or marbles but no one is suggesting that the dominant players in those 'sports' are athletes. Sheesh!

That's just what I was thinking. A real athlete gets tired doing his sport. Golf, shooting, darts and the like where there isn't really a physical workout aren't really sports in my opinion but rather just pasttimes. Of course, there are plenty of people who will disagree with that. :)

Moondance said:

Manny Pacquaio is not the best athlete of the last decade. He's an exciting fighter to watch, but he is not the best boxer in the world at the moment (far too many flaws in his style). He's been very fortunate over his last few fights to fight either severely weight drained fighters (De la Hoya didn't rehydrate after weighing in at 147; he was on an IV just before the fight--Manny actually out weighed him) or come-forward fighters who make him seem like a giant killer (Hatton, Cotto). Not to mention that he's been beaten once in this decade Morales) and got a bit of a gift decision that spared him a second loss (Marquez). I'm a big fan of his, but as I said he's not even the best boxer in the world--which makes it hard to make him the best athlete of the decade.

As for Tiger, infidelity aside, one cannot argue with his singular dominance of the golfing world since 2000. Lance was only dominate in one race over a 6 year period.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
rata de sentina said:
These "awards" are generally bogus, usually a meaningless PR exercise by some self-appointed gits intended to generate a few column inches.

I agree. Golf is an amazing skill sport though. Cycling not so much.

Publicus said:
Manny Pacquaio is not the best athlete of the last decade. He's an exciting fighter to watch, but he is not the best boxer in the world at the moment (far too many flaws in his style). He's been very fortunate over his last few fights to fight either severely weight drained fighters (De la Hoya didn't rehydrate after weighing in at 147; he was on an IV just before the fight--Manny actually out weighed him) or come-forward fighters who make him seem like a giant killer (Hatton, Cotto). Not to mention that he's been beaten once in this decade Morales) and got a bit of a gift decision that spared him a second loss (Marquez). I'm a big fan of his, but as I said he's not even the best boxer in the world--which makes it hard to make him the best athlete of the decade.

Yes and his PBF victory will be next decade.

Moondance said:
14 Olympic golds, 23 World Championship golds, 37 World Records..... Meh?

Golf is a game, not a sport.

People probably downgrade swimming achievements given the absurd world record progression and technology issues. But you could look at that in a way which makes Phelps' 2004 and 2008 performances even more extraordinary. Swimming isn't a weekly event like many other sports, there is 0-1 major events a year, and what you do between then means nothing (see pulling cones).

Boxing is not a sport either - it's fighting.

Motor Sports are not sports - it's racing a vehicle

Racing is not sport - it's racing a horse

The only sports are endurance and team field sports or those which require a blatantly obvious level of technical proficiency (not obvious enough in the case of golf).

People fail to realise that all sports are games, sport simply refers to the competitive nature of the game. i.e going out and riding your bike is a hobby, but racing it is a sport. Going out and swinging a club is a game, but playing in the PGA is a sport.

Ferminal said:

Spoken like a true non-student of the game. Styles make fights. That saying is repeated often but I don't think folks appreciate it's true meaning. Too many flaws in his game. And this is written as a long time fan of Manny's.

Unless he dramatically changes his style, in all likelihood, he gets KO. It's going to be really shocking to a lot of folks. Really shocking. But if you understand the adage styles makes fights, it's pretty simple to decipher. He has a puncher's chance. That's about it.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
14 Olympic golds, 23 World Championship golds, 37 World Records..... Meh?

Golf is a game, not a sport.

soccer, football, baseball, hockey and basketball are all games but they are also sports, I completely agree with this although he is going through a rough patch he has been the most dominant athlete in all sports, micheal phelps has been dominant but he has only been the best in his sport since 2003 while tiger has been the best since 1997.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I remember in high school I used to argue with a guy I had lunch with about games vs sports.

I swam, he played tennis. My argument was that sports are verbs.

You RUN. You SWIM. You JUMP. You BIKE.

Games are things you play.

You PLAY tennis. You PLAY golf. You PLAY basketball.

But then he won the argument. He pointed out that you also BOWL.

Publicus said:
Spoken like a true non-student of the game. Styles make fights. That saying is repeated often but I don't think folks appreciate it's true meaning. Too many flaws in his game. And this is written as a long time fan of Manny's.

Unless he dramatically changes his style, in all likelihood, he gets KO. It's going to be really shocking to a lot of folks. Really shocking. But if you understand the adage styles makes fights, it's pretty simple to decipher. He has a puncher's chance. That's about it.

Never claimed to be, only a fan, if the odds are right, I know where my money will be :)

//should move the thread to cafe as no one wants to talk about cycling (not even Lance!)

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
It's the classic argument of how you define "sport" or even "athlete"--by more raw physiological output or by motor skills?

Even many athletes who would be considered more "pure" athletic performers--cyclists, runners, etc--are often deficient in some important areas such as muscle strength and flexibility.

Anyone remember the old "superstars" competitions? Events ranged from a cycling, swimming, lifting and running to bowling and sinking hoops. (Also noteworthy that a soccer player-Kyle Rote Jr--won the first competition over all of the better known professional football, basketball and baseball players).

There will never be a consensus opinion as to what constitutes a "best athlete".

Publicus said:

So who's better than Pac-man? I imagine you'll argue Mayweather, and I'll agree that Mayweather is more skilled (in fact I'm heavily leaning Mayweather in their fight) but Pretty Boy Floyd simply hasn't proved he's the best in the ring. He beat some great guys in Corrales and Gennaro Hernadez in his early days (which is how he rose to be #1 P4P) but he arguably lost to Castillo in their first fight, and ever since the Castillo fights he's not fought truly challenging opponents. He didn't fight Acelino Freitas, he didn't fight Joel Casamayor, he didn't fight Paul Spadafora, he didn't fight Kostya Tszyu, all fights that could've been made and all fights he would've probably won. But you said it yourself somewhere else, to be the best you gotta beat the best.

And his competition since he's been a welterweight has been vomitous. Sharmba Mitchell, Zab Judah, Juan Carlos Baldomir? He didn't fight Margarito, even though the fight was thrown in his lap, he didn't fight the likes of Cotto, or Mosley. Credit for moving up to light-middle to face DLH, but that's not the type of fight that your legacy should rest on.

If he'd beaten but two or three of the guys I'd mentioned, I don't think I could argue against you, but Mayweather simply hasn't proven himself against worthy opposition. Which the Pac-Monster has. He's beaten a host of top guys, at numerous weight divisions. And who cares if he lost to Morales once, he went on to win twice. Noone cares about the first loss if you revenge yourself, especially twice. I don't care about one loss if it came to a great guy. If Pretty Boy Floyd had fought Acelino Freitas, Joel Casamayor, Leonard Dorin, Paul Spadafora, Stevie Johnston, Kostya Tszyu, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley noone would care if he lost to one of those guys if he beat all the others. He would be the undeniable greatest fighter since Ali, maybe even Sugar Ray Robinson. But he did not.

Mayweather has everything you'd need to become one of the all time greats, except the record.

Azdak6 said:
It's the classic argument of how you define "sport" or even "athlete"--by more raw physiological output or by motor skills?

Even many athletes who would be considered more "pure" athletic performers--cyclists, runners, etc--are often deficient in some important areas such as muscle strength and flexibility.

Anyone remember the old "superstars" competitions? Events ranged from a cycling, swimming, lifting and running to bowling and sinking hoops. (Also noteworthy that a soccer player-Kyle Rote Jr--won the first competition over all of the better known professional football, basketball and baseball players).

There will never be a consensus opinion as to what constitutes a "best athlete".

I would consider athlete to be more on the physiological side, whereas sportsperson simply refers to someone who competes in sports. Which would make Woods the most successful sportsperson of the decade, not athlete

Ferminal said:

People probably downgrade swimming achievements given the absurd world record progression and technology issues. But you could look at that in a way which makes Phelps' 2004 and 2008 performances even more extraordinary. Swimming isn't a weekly event like many other sports, there is 0-1 major events a year, and what you do between then means nothing (see pulling cones).

Boxing is not a sport either - it's fighting.

Motor Sports are not sports - it's racing a vehicle

Racing is not sport - it's racing a horse

The only sports are endurance and team field sports or those which require a blatantly obvious level of technical proficiency (not obvious enough in the case of golf).

People fail to realise that all sports are games, sport simply refers to the competitive nature of the game. i.e going out and riding your bike is a hobby, but racing it is a sport. Going out and swinging a club is a game, but playing in the PGA is a sport.

That's just wrong. Boxing is a sport, one of the greatest and most storied sports in history. In fact wasn't Muhammad Ali voted by pretty much everyone as the greatest sportsman of the 20th century? AP, BBC, Sports Illustrated? I think he was. He lit the Olympic Flame in 1996 for crying out loud.

TRENDING THREADS