• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Athlete "Hall of Shame" Top 10

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
If Lance belongs on the list, why are there no other cyclist now?

What about Bjarne 1996 doped to the gills Tour Champ/Chump?
What about Vino and his blood doping?
What about Tyler and his doping?
What about The whole Festina team, including spotty man Richard Viranque?
What about FLandis and his testimony under oath that he did not dope to win the 2006 Tour?

Yes, LA may eventually crack the top-10 of the cycling Hall of Shame, but until something is proven, He doesn't yet make the top 10!

Make it all sports and I'm not sure he gets a top-10 even when there is more evidence than the proven liar FLandis telling the story.

Killers, Rapists, and spouse abusers (tons of them in sports) clearly rank as more despicable than a doper in my book.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
OJ murdered two people and did his little thug move "sting" in Las Vegas: what Tiger did was wrong, but not illegal or even that different than half the NFL and NBA . . . Damn there are guys in those leagues with more illegitimate kids than Tiger had flings.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
If hypothetically Lance is found to have defrauded Trek and his cancer charity is a sham plus he doped, i dont think its an understatement to say hes not that far behind OJ, that kind of mass deceit is almost as bad as murder in my eyes, bad bad man

European guy here, and no I don't know half those names.

Lance betrays and belies 28 million, he's in a league of his own. Like he seems to prefer to be. He'll be flown in his own jet to the jail of his preference.

If he were to get out of it soehow , and only be put on social duty, please let him visit all busy places in the US to hand out DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE bracelets?

Or:
DOPING WILL EVENTUALLY LOSE POWER, SHAME NEVER WILL.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Better yet why Kobe but not Ben Roethlisberger who has two separate "rape" incidents.

Yeah...it's an American institution called "Racism". Any crime carried out by a black athlete and a white athlete will be worse for the former. Just a fact of life here in the Good 'Ol USA.

Sad.

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
The Top 10 American Shameful are:
1) Roger Clemens
2) O.J. Simpson
3) Tiger Woods
4) Pete Rose
5) Mike Tyson
6) Barry Bonds
7) "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
8) Lawrence Taylor
9) Kobe Bryant
10) Mark McGwire

O.J. was found innocent, not that I think he was but those of you calling him a murder might remember that.

Mike Tyson was convicted of rapping a girl that went on a date with him, to his hotel room, removed her tampon and then slept well that night. Oh and she cried rape against her first boyfriend and the DA was a known racist and four jurors asked for a retrial, and evidence was withheld... Check out some facts from his trial: scary. Kobe got done wrong too. He wasn't convicted, but lost some serious cash and made this list for not rapping a girl.

I feel like this list should be based on things committed within the sporting realm. That does mean that Mike Tyson might make it for biting Evander's ear. Sosa for a corked bat? The Patriots for spying on teams hand signals?

How do dopers rank against other cheats? Like those that bet on outcomes of their games? Or those that accepted money while in college?

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
BASIL USA said:
O.J. was found innocent, not that I think he was but those of you calling him a murder might remember that.

Uhm, technically you are incorrect.

OJ was found Not-guilty, which is different than innocent.

A "not guilty" verdict means that the prosecutors did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. Innocent means he didn't do it.

Also, he was found liable in a civil trial where the preponderance of evidence shown at trial convinced a majority of the jury that he did it.

So, when you decide to split hairs, plese make sure your razor is sharp and accurate. Otherwise, you just under cut your own argument.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Rae Carruth, Ben Roethlisberger, and what about the awful Ty Cobb?

Denny McClain, anyone?

Shawn (Daddy) Kemp?

Ugh.

I agree. Joe Jackson was the only guy NOT in on the black sox scandal so I have no idea why he's here. Ty Cobb was just a horrible human being.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Old School said:
Yeah...it's an American institution called "Racism". Any crime carried out by a black athlete and a white athlete will be worse for the former. Just a fact of life here in the Good 'Ol USA.

Sad.

kobe did not rape anyone he banged some drunk ***** who decided she did not like that he did not call or whatever typical and stupid. its funny how as a man when i drink im held responsible for my actions but girls not so much they can do whatever and blame alcohol and its ok thats whats sad. seriously its not like kobe a pro basketball player cant get laid if he wants to. rape what a joke total b.s.+ hes black again b.s.:mad:

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:

A "not guilty" verdict means that the prosecutors did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. Innocent means he didn't do it.

Also, he was found liable in a civil trial where the preponderance of evidence shown at trial convinced a majority of the jury that he did it.

So, when you decide to split hairs, plese make sure your razor is sharp and accurate. Otherwise, you just under cut your own argument.

i choose reality to lies. oj cut two peoples heads off moving on.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
agree. what's tiger's crime? having sex with consenting adult partners outside of his marriage? he's really only guilty of horrible judgement. i don't excuse what he's done but it's on here because it's such a recent event. as time passes we'll gain perspective and he'll slide down, and maybe even off this list.

same applies to RC, how is OJ Simpson not #1?

exactly beat me to it.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
marinoni said:
I agree. Joe Jackson was the only guy NOT in on the black sox scandal so I have no idea why he's here. Ty Cobb was just a horrible human being.

All of the other participants in the Black Sox scandal later said that Jackson was not part of the plot. I wouldn't blame him if he was, given the way players were treated under the reserve clause.

I agree that Ty Cobb was slime.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
in this puritan little wonderland, marital infidelity is somehow worse than rape. I can't explain my own countrymen....

i can ignorant christians. 2010 some believe the bible word for word to this day lol. these same people dont mind reaping the scientific benefits a bunch of atheists produced how ironic. they also see infidelity as worse than rape and if your black well even better there sick weak minded people who live a fear based life.:rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Here is an Athlete "Hall of Shame" compiled by NBCSports:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37571954/ns/sports/displaymode/1247/?beginSlide=1

The Top 10 American Shameful are:
1) Roger Clemens
2) O.J. Simpson
3) Tiger Woods
4) Pete Rose
5) Mike Tyson
6) Barry Bonds
7) "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
8) Lawrence Taylor
9) Kobe Bryant
10) Mark McGwire

Three questions:
1) Will Lance crack the Top 10?
2) If yes, where will he end up on the list?
3) If yes, who will get bumped out of the Top 10?

I still have problems with Rose being excluded from Cooperstown.

He was one of the greatest players to play the game!

He made some stupid mistakes, but betting against baseball after his career was over gets you banned from the Hall of FAme ???

Come on!

Michael Jordon and other professional athletes do that kind of stuff all the time and no-one says a word.

Rose's situation has become too personal between him and Selig.....

He's admitted he was wrong, give the guy a break.

JMO FWIW

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:

You are innocent until proven guilty. He was not proven guilty therefore he is (chorus please) innocent.

lean said:
this has very little to do with puritanism. it has to do with how much media coverage the transgressors/transgressions receive. it also has to do with the phrasing of polling questions. ie "average american" is asked who are the most shameful athletes? the first person that springs to mind is RC because it's on the news NOW. no one, because of their puritanism or otherwise, thinks his PED use is worse than OJ's homicidal behavior. OJ just isn't regularly in the news and so isn't mentioned as frequently by polling responders. you dig?

a poll like this is just a snapshot, it's value is limited. there's great danger in applying deeper meaning to it.

No, yes it does L,M&G. For America has separated religion from the State, but not God from politics or a puritanical moralism from its national ethos. In no European democratic state would marital infidelity be seen as a public issue of dire consequences, for a high profile figure, the way it is in the States (with perhaps the exception of Britain, but puritanism was invented there after all). The people of the Continent simply don't care who their rich and powerful representatives sleep with and how their husbands-wives feel about it, also because too busy thinking about the real problems in their lives and the world to be bothered with such an outdated and petty moralism. In America, by contrast, high profile figures like its sports heros and, above all, its politicians, are expected to comport themselves in a wholesome manner; because they are seen as the model examples (or should be) of that greater "wholsemeness" which Americana is supposed to represent throughout a world that is otherwise a haven of moral turpitude. To betray that image of moral impecabilty, is to go agianst a myth that is seen as both an anecdote to society's evils and a justification for exporting the so called American-way-of-life (even by force when necessary, as we have seen). Monicagate is the leading example of this in the recent chronology of events, followed by Tigergate. Whereas, to cite just one contrary example, when Miterand was asked point blank by a French journalist if he was having an affair he responded just as directly with: "yes, next question."

Assuming the moral high-ground has always been the leading publicity of the empirial state, and has become a lietmotif in the rhetoric of a wide range of US exports from Hollywood blockbusters a la Forest Gump (which is a uniquely American fable) to its so-called economic development programs in the Third World (which are merely a disguised debt-creation imperialism). The government, the US corporations and the mass media in the States have all contributed to the dissemination of the myth at home and abroad, not by force of conspiracy, but as a simple biproduct of its own puritanical culture, self-rightious belief in its own moral superiority and sense of the salvific and providential role it assumes it plays within human society's historical destiny (first during the Cold War in the anti-commnist/pro-capitalist light and now as the defender of freedom and well-being, agaist the menace of a proliferating system of anti-Western terrorist networks). In short if one must rule the world, then one must posess the "moral credentials" (or at least propagandistically make self-claims to) as a justification. I think within this cultural context is to be explained the pressence of Woods, at all, on such a list. But it also helps make comprehensible why so many Americans who follow cycling have believed, and in some cases continue to do so, that a seven time Tour winner could have won on bread and water and hard work alone. After all a real American hero could never lie like that, right? ;)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
ttrider said:
If hypothetically Lance is found to have defrauded Trek and his cancer charity is a sham plus he doped, i dont think its an understatement to say hes not that far behind OJ, that kind of mass deceit is almost as bad as murder in my eyes, bad bad man

What are you talking about? Tell it to the families of the dead. There's a whole world of difference between fraud and taking someone's very life. Think about it.

Also, Lance is being investigated for defrauding the U.S. Postal Service and not Trek.

Clearly whoever put this list together is suffering from terminal shallowness. Obviously a double murder puts OJ not only at the top of the list, but on a whole 'nother plane.

Even if found guilty, Lance would only be in the middle of such a list.

OJ has to be #1 worldwide. He may have barely escaped a double murder conviction, but was found libel in civil court, and vast majority of everyone agrees he did it, those that do not, are blind. He also was a wife beater (proven) before it even happened. Since then, he and his thugs tried to steal something he thought was his, and it rightfully landed him in prison, where he will be for the next several years. How on earth this man is not #1 is beyond me.

Agree Michael Vick should be way up that list for committing some of the must inhuman acts possible. The photos of what he and his friends did to dogs would make your stomach churn. Rae Carruth as well. He's in prison for having, and helping, his gang buddies murder his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

Ben Rothlesberger for rape, and Ty Cobb for a whole list of things, could be on there as well.

These guys aren't as famous, but some of their crimes are so egregious they can't be ignored:

Former Cub, Yankee, Giant baseball player Mel Hall raped two girls, one of them was only 12, and was sentenced last year to 45 years in prison.

Former Rams defensive back Darryl Henley is in prison for drug trafficking and trying to have the judge in his case murdered. He'll be out in something like 2050.

Baylor basketball player Carlton Dotson admitted to murdering teammate and rising star Patrick Dennehy.

Luis Resto and Panama Lewis could easily be on the list for removing the padding on Resto's boxing gloves, ruining the career of and almost killing Billy Collins.

Boxer Tony Ayala assaulted a few women, raped another, went to prison for 16 years, got out, tried to rape another, went back, got out, broke the law some more and is now in prison again.

Shoeless Joe doesn't belong on that list at all. He was completely illiterate and signed a scribble representing his name to a confession he couldn't read.

I'd remove Pete Rose from the list as well. Tiger maybe belongs at the bottom.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
tockit said:
I still have problems with Rose being excluded from Cooperstown.

He was one of the greatest players to play the game!

He made some stupid mistakes, but betting against baseball after his career was over gets you banned from the Hall of FAme ???

[snip]

Actually he bet on baseball while still playing. And while he always denied betting on games he was playing in, there's simply no way to determine if that's true, and no reason to take his word for it.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Even if found guilty, Lance would only be in the middle of such a list.

OJ has to be #1 worldwide. He may have barely escaped a double murder conviction, but was found libel in civil court, and vast majority of everyone agrees he did it, those that do not, are blind. He also was a wife beater (proven) before it even happened. Since then, he and his thugs tried to steal something he thought was his, and it rightfully landed him in prison, where he will be for the next several years. How on earth this man is not #1 is beyond me.

Agree Michael Vick should be way up that list for committing some of the must inhuman acts possible. The photos of what he and his friends did to dogs would make your stomach churn. Rae Carruth as well. He's in prison for having, and helping, his gang buddies murder his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

Ben Rothlesberger for rape, and Ty Cobb for a whole list of things, could be on there as well.

These guys aren't as famous, but some of their crimes are so egregious they can't be ignored:

Former Cub, Yankee, Giant baseball player Mel Hall raped two girls, one of them was only 12, and was sentenced last year to 45 years in prison.

Former Rams defensive back Darryl Henley is in prison for drug trafficking and trying to have the judge in his case murdered. He'll be out in something like 2050.

Baylor basketball player Carlton Dotson admitted to murdering teammate and rising star Patrick Dennehy.

Luis Resto and Panama Lewis could easily be on the list for removing the padding on Resto's boxing gloves, ruining the career of and almost killing Billy Collins.

Boxer Tony Ayala assaulted a few women, raped another, went to prison for 16 years, got out, tried to rape another, went back, got out, broke the law some more and is now in prison again.

Shoeless Joe doesn't belong on that list at all. He was completely illiterate and signed a scribble representing his name to a confession he couldn't read.

I'd remove Pete Rose from the list as well. Tiger maybe belongs at the bottom.

Man, what a list! A real cast of All-Stars. I agree that Rose doesn't belong on it. But neither does Tiger. (Somehow marital infidelity just doesn't quite measure up to murder, mayhem, or animal torture.) If Armstrong belongs on this list at all it would be on the very bottom. And even then only because he was/is an unchecked bully.

TRENDING THREADS