• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aussie Champion Phil Anderson says cycling is "full of drugs"

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ultimobici said:
Anderson was on Motorola for the first couple of years of Armstrong's career. He retired at the end of the 94 season, which begs the question - was there more to it than age? Having read about the kicking the Motorola riders were getting up to 94/95 I wonder if part of the reason he quit was that he wanted no part in the path they went down in 95/96. IIRC that was when Armstrong turned up looking like a linebacker according to Kevin Livingston.

Intriguingly, I can't recall seeing Anderson & Armstrong together really after he retired.

Correct. LA had no use for Anderson anymore, so that was that.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
In light of the libel & internet thread, I think you meant Skippy, not Phil...

It is a matter of public record that Skippy fined for breached the restraining order taken out by his first wife Christi. Probably no need to address the allegations of stalking, vandalism, psychical restraint or the no so fun experiences of previous girlfriends.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Wow, interesting reaction ACF. He actually said that he was less aware of it back then and that he agrees that drugs are right through the sport right now.

I would have thought you would be very happy to hear him being honest about the current situation.

I just find it hard to warm to the guy... and I strongly disagree with his sentiment

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Later tonight I will have a seance and channel Tommie Simpson, Marc de Meyer

the 20 dutch cyclists that died from EPO sluggish blood. Both dangerous, anyone who would use amphetamines and ephedra would most likely not draw the line with EPO,HGH,STEROIDS,CLEN if available, in my opinion.

POT BELGE what is that,cocaine,alcohol and herion mixed?

with all respect to tom simpson as he was stupidly tough. nonetheless he died of dehydration and hyperthermia be cause of repeat use of high levels of amphetamines in a very stupid way. statistically based on usage and numbers amphetamines are far far safer than epo this is all im saying. amphetamines are legally prescribed commonly where as the medical community is becoming more and more careful with epo even for serious illness. point is gun to my head im less scared of stimulants or pot belge in my body than thick epo blood. **** pot belge sounds like a good time! joking sort of.;)

Race Radio said:
It is a matter of public record that Skippy fined for breached the restraining order taken out by his first wife Christi. Probably no need to address the allegations of stalking, vandalism, psychical restraint or the no so fun experiences of previous girlfriends.

Remind me not to let any of my female friends near the guy

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In the 2009 Tour de france, SBS commentator Mike Tomarlaris was talking to Phil about Lance Armstrong, showing signs of being a future Tour champion as early as his first year as a pro by winning the World Champs (which he wouldn't have won had it not been raining).

Anyway, as Mike is talking Anderson couldn't contain his smile. He kept looking away in an attempt not to burst out laughing. Then when it was his turn to talk he says, Prior to Lance's cancer no one would have thought him a future tour winner. He couldn't climb and he couldn't timetrial. 2 ingredients necessary to win the Tour".

Mike Tomalaris quickly changed the subject. I think there is definatley some bad blood between them. AS someone once said on this forum "1/2 the people in Texas love Armstrong, the other half hate him. The 1/2 half that love him have never met him".

auscyclefan94 said:
I just find it hard to warm to the guy... and I strongly disagree with his sentiment

And this is based on your obsession for Cadel Evans and the fact that you have never had a conversation with a rider who has a professional contract!

I have talked to Phil Anderson a couple of times. In '92 in Amboise during the Tour, in Masterton, New Zealand when he came over to support a Masters tour and in Annecy at the TT last year. He has always come across as a reasonable person but hey he married an American so maybe that was the problem.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
In the 2009 Tour de france, SBS commentator Mike Tomarlaris was talking to Phil about Lance Armstrong, showing signs of being a future Tour champion as early as his first year as a pro by winning the World Champs (which he wouldn't have won had it not been raining).

Anyway, as Mike is talking Anderson couldn't contain his smile. He kept looking away in an attempt not to burst out laughing. Then when it was his turn to talk he says, Prior to Lance's cancer no one would have thought him a future tour winner. He couldn't climb and he couldn't timetrial. 2 ingredients necessary to win the Tour".

Mike Tomalaris quickly changed the subject. I think there is definatley some bad blood between them. AS someone once said on this forum "1/2 the people in Texas love Armstrong, the other half hate him. The 1/2 half that love him have never met him".
I was trying to find the interview to that on Cycling central today but couldn't find it. Nice post!
timmers said:
And this is based on your obsession for Cadel Evans and the fact that you have never had a conversation with a rider who has a professional contract!
I have talked to Phil Anderson a couple of times. In '92 in Amboise during the Tour, in Masterton, New Zealand when he came over to support a Masters tour and in Annecy at the TT last year. He has always come across as a reasonable person but hey he married an American so maybe that was the problem.

Don't shoot the messenger!

You know when you assume...your a *****! What a stupid comment!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

I don't want to get in to discussing Phils private life (even if it was fought in public) - but for the sake of accuracy, his first wife was Anne, his second wife was Christi.

TRENDING THREADS