• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Crime Commission investigation finds widespread doping

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Breaking the salary cap is the most heinous of sporting crimes, as it unbalances the entire league and must be rooted out at all costs. Just ask the Canterbury Bulldogs or Melbourne Storm.

League wide doping on the other hand, well that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Why? They both give an unfair advantage to whoever exploits it.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thought this was worth a bump. Essendon and some individuals (coaching staff) expected to be charged today. Doesn't seem as though there will be news on the players yet, but who knows.

According this article: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demetriou-conflicted-20130811-2rq9o.html

Hird told ASADA that he thought Demetriou leaked the contents of the ACCC report to Essendon chairman David Evans. Given that Essendon then referred themselves to ASADA prior to the press conference this seems fairly likely, and I think a few of us thought that was the case at the time.

thrawn said:
Thought this was worth a bump. Essendon and some individuals (coaching staff) expected to be charged today. Doesn't seem as though there will be news on the players yet, but who knows.

According this article: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demetriou-conflicted-20130811-2rq9o.html

Hird told ASADA that he thought Demetriou leaked the contents of the ACCC report to Essendon chairman David Evans. Given that Essendon then referred themselves to ASADA prior to the press conference this seems fairly likely, and I think a few of us thought that was the case at the time.

Not knowing a lot about football but why is this bad? What the Demeteiou guy did?

thehog said:
Not knowing a lot about football but why is this bad? What the Demeteiou guy did?

I suppose its removing the element of surprise for Essendon, and it allows them to go to ASADA themselves, to make it look like a mistake has been made etc.

I think it gives them the opportunity to present themselves as a victim, and set them up to lampoon the sport scientist Stephen Dank.

Where in reality, the were running a doping system (allegedly).

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
It's not bad. Was HAS been bad is the Australian Football media (and the media in general) reporting on the matter, embarrassing. The only person to take the (correct IMO) viewpoint, has been Caroline Wilson from The Age, the majority come off as Essendon Football Club supporters, of which the head AFL reporter for Murdochs rag is the biggest Bomber fan out there.

If it was Orica Greenedge that was involved, the media reporting would have been entirely different.

At least Essendon met and spoke with ASADA, up north, the Rugby League players mostly refused to even engage with ASADA... hiding much?

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
She has... and a lot of it unjustified IMO. I usually disagree with her on most points, but in this case she has been the voice of reason. Some of the personal attacks against her have been gratuitous to say the least.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
She has... and a lot of it unjustified IMO. I usually disagree with her on most points, but in this case she has been the voice of reason. Some of the personal attacks against her have been gratuitous to say the least.

It may be because Essendon were really the 'poster boy' club in Victoria before this drugs saga broke out. I do think Essendon are just going to have to take their medicine over their internal controls not being up to scratch when it failed to properly oversee the supplement program implemented by Dank. Hird may be the last 'official' left standing atm but he will be thrown overboard as well...he has to be.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

The Australian Crime Commission made the executives of major sports, including Demetriou sign a confidentiality clause.

It would also be like McQuaid telling the head of a cycling team to be careful as the police were investigating their drug use.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
It may be because Essendon were really the 'poster boy' club in Victoria before this drugs saga broke out. I do think Essendon are just going to have to take their medicine over their internal controls not being up to scratch when it failed to properly oversee the supplement program implemented by Dank. Hird may be the last 'official' left standing atm but he will be thrown overboard as well...he has to be.
you think Collingwood were clean?

May 2, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
you think Collingwood were clean?

Only clean teams send their star players to mid-season altitude training camps overseas.

Essendon coaches have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Hearings to be held on the 26th of August.

No player infractions so far.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thrawn said:
Only clean teams send their star players to mid-season altitude training camps overseas.

Essendon coaches have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Hearings to be held on the 26th of August.

No player infractions so far.
yes. i dont know your The Clinic personality thrawn. i have to believe that is sarcastic.

most other champions in the league, would just be sharing their "sources" like trent croad and daniel chick, and going to the anti-aging/youth&vitality clinics in Kew and Toorak and Brighton for their "stuff".

Essendon just hubris and impunity(belief). if they had a cycling manager to manage the plausible deniability/firebreaks/ringfence.

it is just a matter of time, managing a playing list of 36 players, who know multiple players (each of 36) in the league, that the doping program comes out. poor poor poor risk management

May 2, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
yes. i dont know your The Clinic personality thrawn. i have to believe that is sarcastic.

most other champions in the league, would just be sharing their "sources" like trent croad and daniel chick, and going to the anti-aging/youth&vitality clinics in Kew and Toorak and Brighton for their "stuff".

Essendon just hubris and impunity(belief). if they had a cycling manager to manage the plausible deniability/firebreaks/ringfence.

it is just a matter of time, managing a playing list of 36 players, who know multiple players (each of 36) in the league, that the doping program comes out. poor poor poor risk management

You have a perfectly functioning sarcasm detector.

Essendon response is up:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-08-13/club-statement.workstation

Just a PR statement really. Doesn't say much.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thrawn said:
You have a perfectly functioning sarcasm detector.

Essendon response is up:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-08-13/club-statement.workstation

Just a PR statement really. Doesn't say much.
i think the only thing Essendon did wrong was internalise, or make it an offical program.

poor downside (risk) management. Dank was a wildcatter. Anyone thinking a drug for Parkinsons, or a cognition drug, can help a player make decisions in a game context, is stupid. some of the most stupid athletes, are ones that have room temperature IQ's. See Lance Whitnall. Voss also. Stupid people, but genius on the turf. all the drugs would not make Whitnall or Voss intelligent, nor improve their sport decision making.

Dank threw a bunch of eggs at the wall, and hoped one would not break. He did not know which worked. He saw Essendon as a cash cow.

Some of the Irish footballers transition to AFL in less than 6 months. Some will never adequately transition, and they both have the same skills that can be measured. No drugs would help those who struggle to play AFL.

The perparatores, like Dank. The doping docs, they think every variable can be dialled in to the enth degree. That is not sport. That is the laboratory, that is science. Sport has random dynamics as a fundamental component of it, by its nature.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Spider1964 said:
It's not bad. Was HAS been bad is the Australian Football media (and the media in general) reporting on the matter, embarrassing. The only person to take the (correct IMO) viewpoint, has been Caroline Wilson from The Age, the majority come off as Essendon Football Club supporters, of which the head AFL reporter for Murdochs rag is the biggest Bomber fan out there.

If it was Orica Greenedge that was involved, the media reporting would have been entirely different.

At least Essendon met and spoke with ASADA, up north, the Rugby League players mostly refused to even engage with ASADA... hiding much?

sittingbison said:
and Caroline Wilson has been well and truly dragged through the mud

Sorry, I haven't been keeping current with this. Last time I looked, most journalists were coming out with the 'witch hunt' and 'nothing proven' cards and 'waste of taxpayer money'. How far have they gone in defending the implicated clubs?

I'm certain that if it was OGE there wouldn't be any doubting the authorities at all. Sometimes the hypocritically negative coverage cycling gets sickens me :mad:.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Probably not. But as a hater of the pies, I wouldn't care :p
my point is, most athletes are sharing sources and sharing doctors and they will have their own shooting galleries at some share house of the players. or go to an anti-aging doctor in Kew or Toorak

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
On another note, I'm wondering whether 'The Clinic' are claiming this as a victory yet? :D
well, insofar as cycling are just a cypher of professional spot.

but who esle will believe us outside of The Clinic 12.

btw, Jonny Vee has yet to come to his graduation in Clinicese

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Keep up the good work. It's very much a thankless job you're doing. :rolleyes:
the problem, is sport is built up as a myth of values. (sportsmanship/rules/ethics/fairplay/achievement).

i think that is the problem. not athletes doping

TRENDING THREADS