• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Summer of Cycling: Nationals, Bay series Crits & other races

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice top3... I know you wish Cattle, Porte and Rogers were riding it but it's good to see a 23 yo, 21 yo and 20 yo podium. Another great result for Matthews, 21 secs isn't a lot... he will consistently get top30s in ITTs with those sorts of efforts.

The winning time works out to around 48km/h doesn't it? About the same as Durbridge on the shorter course.

Good day for the WA Mafia.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Nice top3... I know you wish Cattle, Porte and Rogers were riding it but it's good to see a 23 yo, 21 yo and 20 yo podium.

The winning time works out to around 48km/h doesn't it? About the same as Durbridge on the shorter course.

So you and who else is apart of that mafia?:D

Just hope Meyer & jack don't do too much track this year! Want to see the australian jersey.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. What a horrible wet day.

Got wet riding to Learmonth, got wet standing out watching the cyclists and got even wetter on my way back.

Rain was a right *****. Lost reception all the time then my phone ****ed up. Some of the photos look terrible as well. Oh well.

That said:

GO WA!
sandgroper.png

Great ride by TurboDurbo, wish I had seen it and congrats to Meyer again. Bobby looked liked he was going to do the 1-2 at one stage.

Matthews, Day had good rides as well.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Can I just say, Sophie Smith and the Ballarat Courier crew, they're all cheats in regards to the tweets. SS had someone carrying an umbrella for her all day and they were all allowed inside the podium :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Can I just say, Sophie Smith and the Ballarat Courier crew, they're all cheats in regards to the tweets. SS had someone carrying an umbrella for her all day and they were all allowed inside the podium :D

Did you want the same treatment as they got for your efforts?:D

Ferminal said:
Nice top3... I know you wish Cattle, Porte and Rogers were riding it but it's good to see a 23 yo, 21 yo and 20 yo podium. Another great result for Matthews, 21 secs isn't a lot... he will consistently get top30s in ITTs with those sorts of efforts.

I assume Matthews had never even done a time trial this long? Shame he didn't start the Worlds TT. He could have gotten the double, as the course was definitely more suited to him than to Phinney.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Was only slightly jealous as the rain soacked through my jacket... :D
3 didn't start because they were scratched. By themselves or the commisaires...dunno.

One guy started late because of a bike **** up i think. His time was from when he was to originally start too so he'd have been +10m anyway (on official time). I dont think he finished the race either.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
3 didn't start because they were scratched. By themselves or the commisaires...dunno.

One guy started late because of a bike **** up i think. His time was from when he was to originally start too so he'd have been +10m anyway (on official time). I dont think he finished the race either.
Ah. They didn't like his seat and helmet (had to modify them), then there was confusion as to where and when he started...then a massive puncture. :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Surprised to see Drew Ginn doing so well in 8th. I knew he was good but not of that calibre. Saw him once in a middle of a Watt Bike session. His threshold numbers were impressive.

For those not familiar with Drew, he's was part of the oarsome foursome..

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
Surprised to see Drew Ginn doing so well in 8th. I knew he was good but not of that calibre. Saw him once in a middle of a Watt Bike session. His threshold numbers were impressive.

For those not familiar with Drew, he's was part of the oarsome foursome..

I'm not.

He came about 6th last year

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Bobridge and Cam Meyer rode great. I am glad that AU track riders are setting the trend of getting good road form from all the work they do on the boards. For a country with a tiny population they are turning out some stellar talent
I am an even bigger fanboy now that these 2 went 1,2 in the TT

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
All we need now is for Durbridge and Hepburn to step up to open class next year and we'll have a chance an all pursuit top 4.

A squad of Meyer/Bobridge/Durbridge and either Hepburn or Parker will destroy the world record.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
A squad of Meyer/Bobridge/Durbridge and either Hepburn or Parker will destroy the world record.

Yeah I was thinking about this too...Especially if Hepburn and Parker keep riding track for a few years until the 2016 games...By then (assuming Meyer and Bobridge still come back to the boards for Olympics) Meyer, Bobridge, Hepburn and Parker should be ridiculously quick.

Durbridge and T. Meyer are handy guys to have to race some earlier rounds!!

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
abbaskip said:
Yeah I was thinking about this too...Especially if Hepburn and Parker keep riding track for a few years until the 2016 games...By then (assuming Meyer and Bobridge still come back to the boards for Olympics) Meyer, Bobridge, Hepburn and Parker should be ridiculously quick.

Durbridge and T. Meyer are handy guys to have to race some earlier rounds!!
And I didn't even mention Denis in this post...It's just a matter of whether the boys are fast enough, they're obviously strong enough. Maybe they'd be better off to have someone like Leigh Howard as the fourth rider (until Hepburn and Parker get older at least), so he can go out fast and hard, and drop off.

Renshaw started out as a teams pursuiter, and broke the world record with the Aussie Team at the Manchester Comm Games as a 19 year old...I wonder how he would go now. He may have lost a little bit of speed, but over 4km, you only need to go 60km, which I'm sure he could still hit. And he is much stronger now. He'd be another handy guy to have around...Used to also ride loads of madisons, but got the $hits with the track program after he qualified Australia for the madison at the olympics, then they replaced him with O'Grady in the 11th hour.

HTC madison team would be strong! Cavendish-Renshaw!? Or Howard-Rasmussen?!

Congratulations to Jackson Leigh Rathbone on Qaulifying fastest in the 1km TimeTrial at Australian nationals 1min 3 seconds.....Not bad for a guy who has only been back on his bike for two months,after 18 months off... :)