• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Baby Giro 2019 - Giro d’Italia Giovani Under 23 (13-23.6.)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Nirvana said:
It's surprising the Fedaia ia already doable considering that the road through the canyon was totally removed last fall, usually in Italy they need ages to repair damaged roads even when the damage is very little compared to this.
They are gonna use the modern road, not the one in the canyon, which is not ready yet.

It seems like Van Wilder (3rd in Orlen, 4th in Course de la Paix, 7th in Isard) will not be riding the Baby Giro. His next big goal is Aosta. It's understandable, since he's only a first year U23, but since he has really stepped up and giving the older guys a run for their money, i think he's important enough to mention.

I'm going with Bagioli for the win. Showed great form already this year and should be one of, if not the, strongest climber in the race. As a Italian he is probably peaking for this. Thymen Arensman and Mark Donovan are both running a bit behind schedule concerning results this year but the route should really suite them, so if they've got the form they will feature. Another strong Italian who is in really good shape is Samuele Battistella. He is a excellent one day racer but lacks results in the big U23 stage races, so it will depend on him to be consistent because on his day he can be brilliant. Apart from those two Italians there are of course a lot of other strong Italian riders who could do well in GC or win stages. Alessandro Covi, Giovanni Aleotti or Alessandro Monaco.
Other notable riders, aiming for a high GC or stages, we can expect are probably one or two of the colombians, though at this point they are wildcards I think. Hard to tell how good they are and if they will ride for one guy or will be all over the place in the mountains like last year. Lizarte has Inigo Elosegui who is apparently turning pro with Movistar next year and Parra. GB U23 will probably go for stages with Ethan Hayter, Matthew Walls and Fred Wright, I just can't see Hayter being competitive enough in the high mountains to ride for GC. One of the strongest squads will be FDJ. Theo Nonnez really had kind of a breakthrough this year and could well be infiltrating the Top 5 with help from Kevin Inkelaar, who himself is probably aiming for GC. Other than those two, Jake Stewart and Cristian Scaroni will be hunting for stages. Hagens Berman Axeon, without their California squad due to the WT ban, are hard to predict. Sean Quinn and Kevin Vermaerke have been absolutely impressive 1st years so far and it will be interesting to see them climbing real mountains. The same for Karel Vacek, only that he has had a bit more difficulties to adjust to the new level of racing so far. But we know his talent and can hope for him to show us some glimpse of it in this race. Andre Carvalho is in pretty good shape and will probably hunt stages. Lotto U23 will have some cards to play, though I'm not sure Viktor Verschaeve is consistent enough to feature high up in GC. Thomas Vereecken and Julian Mertens will provide good support with ambitions for stages themselves. SEG will not only rely on Arensmans GC hope but will also have the best sprinter of the race in Kaden Groves, who is able to survive some hills, and a second GC hopeful in Ide Schelling. Team Tirol will want to challenge mainly for stages. With Nicolas Dalla Valle they have one of the few guys who could potentially take on Groves in the sprints, Markus Wildauer won a stage and wore the Pink last year. But their best shot should be Georg Zimmermann. Look out for him in the hilly stages. High up GC should be a bit too much for him though, maybe a Top 10.

With no complete startlist its hard to analyse all the teams and there probably will also be guys who we don't really know a lot about. Some Italians from the tiny teams stepping up, some Russian who as a team almost always deliver here, the Kazakhs are hard to predict and as I already said the Colombians. This was just a little try to highlight most of the important players and there a lot of guys I may have missed while writing this or who I have absolutely no idea of. So feel free to add.

Found an Italian named Luca Coati in the results of today's prologue

coati-.jpg

:)

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
No Van Wilder, Leknessund, Champoussin...
But Vacek, Bagioli, Arensman, Vermaerke... are there. Don't know all of those Italian riders though :-/

Let's go :)
I'd say that Bagioli, Covi, Battistella, Aleotti and Monaco are probably the main guys when it comes to Italian riders who could do well on the gc. Matteo Sobrero is also a really strong rider, but probably just for stage wins, he reminds me a bit of Velasco.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
No Van Wilder, Leknessund, Champoussin...
But Vacek, Bagioli, Arensman, Vermaerke... are there. Don't know all of those Italian riders though :-/

Let's go :)
I'd say that Bagioli, Covi, Battistella, Aleotti and Monaco are probably the main guys when it comes to Italian riders who could do well on the gc. Matteo Sobrero is also a really strong rider, but probably just for stage wins, he reminds me a bit of Velasco.
Thanks, i'll keep an eye out.

From Colombia Rubio is the most experienced... He riding in Europe since 2017.
Ardila won 2 stages of the U-23 Vuelta de la Juventud, including the MTT, that was the main feature, and finished 3rd in GC
Peña won the GC in that race, basically in one breakaway with 11 riders including Bustamante, who finished 2nd. Bustamante is probably the best TTer
Alba was a prerace ravorite but finished 7th.
The others, I don't have much to say

Wouldn't be surprised to see Zimmermann go pro next year with Bora. Comes from Bavaria like the team, rode for their Junior team, trained with some of their riders few days ago at the end of their camp and is constantly developing, like many of their talents. His coach is also still involved with Bora and the U19 team.

It will be really interesting to see Hayter climb here. I'm still unsure he can hang on in the high mountains but his results in Innsbruck last year and in Poland a few weeks ago strongly suggest it isn't out of the question.

Re:

slosada said:
From Colombia Rubio is the most experienced... He riding in Europe since 2017.
Ardila won 2 stages of the U-23 Vuelta de la Juventud, including the MTT, that was the main feature, and finished 3rd in GC
Peña won the GC in that race, basically in one breakaway with 11 riders including Bustamante, who finished 2nd. Bustamante is probably the best TTer
Alba was a prerace ravorite but finished 7th.
The others, I don't have much to say
I think that Rubio will end up with a WT team or Androni, he seems to be ready to make the jump. Last year he beat Pogi on the big MTF of the Giro del Friuli.
Zimmermann seems to be a strong allrounder, he has a good sprint, is a pretty decent climber and seems to have a big engine, a really interesti g prospect.
4 team Tirol guys in the top 10 today, rather impressive.

Re:

WKA311 said:
Wouldn't be surprised to see Zimmermann go pro next year with Bora. Comes from Bavaria like the team, rode for their Junior team, trained with some of their riders few days ago at the end of their camp and is constantly developing, like many of their talents. His coach is also still involved with Bora and the U19 team.

Perfectly summarized.
I'll add to all your perfectly valid points that since so far only Schwarzmann has made it from the juniors team and since Zimmermann is the best climber (or sort of) amongst the current young German rider, there is basically no way he's not going to Bora. No way Denk would miss this opportunity.

It's time anyway to signifie some youngsters for Bora. Zimmermann is 99% a done deal. Ideally I'd like to see Rutsch too (but it's unfortunately way less likely). And why not one or two more amongst Wildauer, Gamper, Haller...
2-3 young recruits would be the minimum in my opinion

He's pretty all around. Has a track background like many Brits, good pursuiter. Thus he is a good timetrialist, he has a handy sprint on him and is no slouch on the climbs either. Really how good he can climb will be the interesting thing to see this Giro. Think Ineos has their hands on him for the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts