• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bahrain - Merida Pro Cycling Team

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
StryderHells said:
Sponorship from people who not only endorse torture but are activly involved in it surely is a step if not many steps to far
I couldn't agree more.
+1, I can't support this at all, I hope no rider I like goes to that team. Although Benna was rumored :eek: :(

Since you don't like Nibali, you are safe.
I highly doubt the team will only have 1 rider :)

LaFlorecita said:
Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
StryderHells said:
Sponorship from people who not only endorse torture but are activly involved in it surely is a step if not many steps to far
I couldn't agree more.
+1, I can't support this at all, I hope no rider I like goes to that team. Although Benna was rumored :eek: :(

Since you don't like Nibali, you are safe.
I highly doubt the team will only have 1 rider :)

We'll Nibali has a kid brother, but then 2 is just as bad as one

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Cycling needs to grab sponsorship dollars and investors in new teams. Cycling sponsorship is extremely cyclical as we've seen with the number of teams and sponsors who come and go. Cycling should be doing more to get investors from Asia and South America and the Middle East. Whether a team is bankrolled by Bahrain or China or Argentina is irrelevant - The WT teams still race primarily in Europe and of course have riders from throughout the world.

A bigger issue is the quality of races in developing cycling nations, though at the same time sponsors want to get a bang for their bucks.

Well we may as well stop seeking sponsorship dollars from American companies - Does Guantanamo Bay ring a bell.
Do you have a link to Cannondale being linked to torture? Has Jelly Belly been oppressing Americans human rights? I can't remember BMC running Guantanamo but I could be wrong on that. The Bahraini team is being set up by the Prince who has been credibly linked to the ordering and performing torture himself, the main funding is coming from the Bahraini regime and the licence if awarded will be to the Prince so again explain to me why this isn't a step to far?

Re: The Kingdom of Bahrain Cycling Team

TMP402 said:
Alex47 said:
Squad ?

Nibali, Agnoli, Vanotti, Capecchi + Santaromita ? Visconti ? Roche ?

Scarponi perhaps. And Kennaugh (Chegnocchi perhaps?) too we now learn.

funny thing (if the names are true) maybe we´ll see our dear Visconti and Capecchi racing is the same Bahrain team with bad guy Kennaugh.
I look forward to them following the Bahrain king on Instagram too
:D ;)

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Cycling needs to grab sponsorship dollars and investors in new teams. Cycling sponsorship is extremely cyclical as we've seen with the number of teams and sponsors who come and go. Cycling should be doing more to get investors from Asia and South America and the Middle East. Whether a team is bankrolled by Bahrain or China or Argentina is irrelevant - The WT teams still race primarily in Europe and of course have riders from throughout the world.

A bigger issue is the quality of races in developing cycling nations, though at the same time sponsors want to get a bang for their bucks.

Well we may as well stop seeking sponsorship dollars from American companies - Does Guantanamo Bay ring a bell.

It's a non-sequitur really, as being an American company doesn't automatically denote approval of the states actions, whereas 'The Kingdom of Bahrain Cycling Team' is clearly run directly by the state, and therefore the same shysters who torture dissidents.

You see the power creep happening in football, Man City, Zenit, PSG etc. Allowing these despots to tie their names to sporting entities isn't a way of making money as such, but an attempt to ingratiate themselves into western communities and give themselves credibility, look at us running a sports team we're liberal like you lot. Of course there are plenty of evil shitheads running around western democracies, but here women are allowed out on the streets, we can vote, gays aren't hung from cranes, and while we do some terrible stuff the old 'we're just as bad as they are' thing really doesn't apply.

Re: The Kingdom of Bahrain Cycling Team

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-cements-nibalis-role-as-future-leader-of-bahrain-cycling-team/

Nibali, Vanotti, Agnoli, Colbrelli, Bennati, Majka, Roche, Ulissi rumored to join. I´ll just cheer for Roche, but it would be nice to see all this loved italian riders racing for the cruel King ;) and the fans reaction

Argon 18 bikes in pole position BUT BUT they have a current contract with Bora for 2017 too (ok contract can be broken, like wilier-lampre, kemo-bretagne, campagnolo-ag2r)

TMP402 said:
Brullnux said:
Majka and Nibali seem on good terms so that wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder (hope) that this is Majka accepting his role as a domestique instead of his current pattern of collecting anonymous top 10s and once in a while very half-heartedly riding for Contador

Well, flame him as a team leader all you want, but I wouldn't call his domestique work half-heartedly

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:

Do you have a link to Cannondale being linked to torture? Has Jelly Belly been oppressing Americans human rights? I can't remember BMC running Guantanamo but I could be wrong on that. The Bahraini team is being set up by the Prince who has been credibly linked to the ordering and performing torture himself, the main funding is coming from the Bahraini regime and the licence if awarded will be to the Prince so again explain to me why this isn't a step to far?

They are American companies who work under the American Flag - And i'd argue every country is involved in human rights abuse - Stop being selective and hypocritical with your Faux Outrage over human rights abuses. -

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:

They are American companies who work under the American Flag - And i'd argue every country is involved in human rights abuse - Stop being selective and hypocritical with your Faux Outrage over human rights abuses. -

it is not faux outrage. it´s the prince of Bahrain funding and setting up a team and financing it, with money coming from the Kingdom, whose chief, himself, is accused of human rights abuse.