• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bahrain - Merida Pro Cycling Team

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Yeah,its so funny how people can be delusional.All this middle east "crisis" applied on "ohhh lets stop all the trade and contact with middle-east" is hillarious,most of us dont realize that it would have probbly even worse outcome...

And applied on cylcling business,cmonnn
Evidence?

Well I can't see how stopping all trade and contact with them would improve lives of people of Bahrain in any way but I could be wrong.

To be fair I've just googled this prince/sheikh guy and the human rights issues in Bahrain and I can see why people might have a problem with it. I guess it comes down to if you are cynical enough to be able to ignore it.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
If you're not going to support this cycling team because it represents a despotic country I also hope you don't have a bank account... Because they do a **** ton of business with shady as **** countries like Iraq, Iran (despite this actually being illegal for the time being because of the trade embargoes, they'll always find loopholes), Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arabian Emirates, Egypt, etc.

While I was working at ING Belgium I think around 80% of the bills from big companies we processed were sent to countries from the Middle-East. And they weren't harmless products either: lot's of weapons are being shipped to Saudi Arabia from Belgium.

Keep posting, everybody's looking forward to the upcoming "Belgium papers"...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
ILovecycling said:
Yeah,its so funny how people can be delusional.All this middle east "crisis" applied on "ohhh lets stop all the trade and contact with middle-east" is hillarious,most of us dont realize that it would have probbly even worse outcome...

And applied on cylcling business,cmonnn
Evidence?
How can you give you an evidence on anything that "might" happen :) .I can give you a theory (not right subforum).., the thing is that if you forbid legal connections,then always come up gray economy and illegal trade - in short.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
The problem is that teams created by one of these rich puppets are only prolonging the misery of the current structure of cycling sponsorships and money sharing.

Now this Sheik, will come in, get his new toy and in a few years, just like Tinkov or IAM will give up and the team will be gone. The only beneficiary from all this mess is ASO and the rest of the teams will continue to struggle to fill their budgets unless governments and oligarch finance them.

Unfortunately, as long this kind of people keep coming in and buying their temporary toys, cycling will be stuck in the last century.

So, it seems this team is happening, and it seems there will be an announcement tomorrow. That's why we're reopening this thread. However, this is not a thread for discussion of politics and human rights issues, so keep it about cycling only. If you want to discuss the former, you can make a thread in the cafe.

rumours

ULISSI Diego (Lampre),
VANOTTI Alessandro (Astana),
AGNOLI Valerio (Astana),
VISCONTI Giovanni (Movistar),
BOARO Manuele (Astana),
COLBRELLI Sonny, (Bardiani),
NIBALI Vincenzo (Astana)

why only italians?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

FilipeFD said:
rumours

ULISSI Diego (Lampre),
AGNOLI Valerio (Astana),
BOARO Manuele (Astana),
NIBALI Vincenzo (Astana)

why only italians?
I've heard rumours about Copeland bringing Meintjes with him.

Mayomaniac said:
FilipeFD said:
rumours

ULISSI Diego (Lampre),
AGNOLI Valerio (Astana),
BOARO Manuele (Astana),
NIBALI Vincenzo (Astana)

why only italians?
I've heard rumours about Copeland bringing Meintjes with him.
Oh no! They have some exciting riders and then they bring in a boring one like Meintjes?