• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Bahrain

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The way Padun dropped everyone grinding a huge gear reminded me of Gabrovski in the Tour of Turkey years ago.
Padun was a great talent in the u23 ranks, no doubt. But such a climbing performance out of nowhere is still pretty wild.

yeah this was exactly what I was thinking while watching it. it reminded me of Sayar more than Grabovski though.

anyway, Bahrain really flying lately in those Ferrari red jerseys...

• Haha
Reactions: Ripper and kingjr
Like I mentioned before, while the performance is OTT, it's not like a climber improving on Big Mig's climbing record should be a surprise. I'm just amazed it took till 2021.
Your memory must be different to mine. Yes I recall all the cries that it was impossible for 78Kg to climb like that. But out climb the climbers Indurain did - at least until 1996. Rarely was he put in difficulty by any climber in that 5 year TdF reign. Rominger came closest to cracking him in the Pyrenees of 93.

Its about watts per Kg and recovery. Not just Kgs. As we saw with his TTs Big Mig’s watts were unrivalled. Likewise Indurain had incredible recovery. Yeh, other things were going on then too but just sayin. Indurain’s climbing was seriously under estimated.

Edit: Only Pantani was clearly a better climber in that TdF reign but of course until 1998 Marco wasn’t really considered a GC threat. Certainly not Virenque.

Last edited:
Reactions: topt
Your memory must be different to mine. Yes I recall all the cries that it was impossible for 78Kg to climb like that. But out climb the climbers Indurain did - at least until 1996. Rarely was he put in difficulty by any climber in that 5 year TdF reign. Rominger came closest to cracking him in the Pyrenees of 93.

Its about watts per Kg and recovery. Not just Kgs. As we saw with his TTs Big Mig’s watts were unrivalled. Likewise Indurain had incredible recovery. Yeh, other things were going on then too but just sayin. Indurain’s climbing was seriously under estimated.

Edit: Only Pantani was clearly a better climber in that TdF reign but of course until 1998 Marco wasn’t really considered a GC threat. Certainly not Virenque.
Oh no, I remember it very well. Truly alien. Mig was/is a super nice and classy guy by all accounts, but new and next level juicing at that time.

Remember when he blasted by Pharmstrong in a TT? :p

• Haha
Reactions: Cookster15
I was really depressed after watching that yesterday, yes, there was Pogacar, yes, there were a few really fast times, but I didn't expect Bahrain to show off something ridiculous like that.
In the nineties I was a kid and Armstrong was... well, Armstrong. I know I can't have pro sports without doping. But I am expecting them to keep it within certain levels that still let me enjoy watching. A crazy sudden performance from some, sorry, random, dude who then tells me at the age of 24 he just lost 4.5 kilos within a week in an altitude camp, is not within these limits. He could become the next Froome - but obviously it's not just him, it's the whole team. As nobody will let them pop up I hope they at least tell them to tone it down.

I can just about suspend disbelief when a team pays top dollar for domestiques and dominates (TJV, INEOS), but when domestiques that can't command those top salaries are on one team and start stomping all comers in the space of a month then you don't need a spider sense to sniff out the villains.

I'm actually more disappointed because last year I felt Bahrain were showing some tactical intelligence and invention to eek out some positive results. In hindsight strong performance from Landa and Bilbao in 2020 probably had an alternate explanation.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Reminds me of Emanuele Sella in his Giro Multistage fueled victories

Absolutely, that's what I thought as well. Ridiculous performance by Padun again - he recovered perfectly from yesterday's huge effort and despite being in a breakaway (and going solo afterwards) he didn't lose any time to GC contenders on Joux Plane. To me this weekend is most fishy performance I've seen for a long time - not that I'm naive that cyclists are clean (IMO most of them dope) but I think there may have been some overkill in this case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts