• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Bahrain

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
just wau, he was junior world champion in team event;

It's a one time achievement in team event for juniors. As a ski jumper he had about 40 chances to shine every year. Pro Conti cups ( he has 2 wins) are second rank shows for semi-pros/juniors and they aren't even broadcasted. All that matters is World Cup competition and Roglic has no good results there.

It's a one time achievement in team event for juniors. As a ski jumper he had about 40 chances to shine every year. Pro Conti cups ( he has 2 wins) are second rank shows for semi-pros/juniors and they aren't even broadcasted. All that matters is World Cup competition and Roglic has no good results there.
you can *** on him as much as you want, the guy was an elite athlete before cycling even if he didnt make it to the top at senior ski jumping

The guy was an elite athlete before cycling even if he didnt make it to the top at senior ski jumping

I don't think he was an elite athlete before. I really admire guys who can switch successfully from another sport like Cormier or Adesanya, but this is easier if you're into similar sports like MMA, Kickboxing or Wrestling...

I don't think he was an elite athlete before. I really admire guys who can switch successfully from another sport like Cormier or Adesanya, but this is easier if you're into similar sports like MMA, Kickboxing or Wrestling...

It's also easier if you go into a sport which doesn't have a huge field of serious contenders. I think surfing and a lot of martial arts are quite popular for a "second career". If you have some great general sportive abilities, like good endurance, core strength, balance, good reaction times and good physical intelligence (don't know the English term, the ability to automate steps of movement), there are quite a few sports where you can use those and where the competitors might not all be on the utmost professional level. And if you are very ambitious, driven, disciplined, and know how to plan trainings, that also helps a lot.
However those situations are still different from an early switch of sports, before you have even really started your career in your first sport.
(Not making a point here, I just find this interesting apart from any clinic relations.)

Reactions: solo80k
It's also easier if you go into a sport which doesn't have a huge field of serious contenders. I think surfing and a lot of martial arts are quite popular for a "second career". If you have some great general sportive abilities, like good endurance, core strength, balance, good reaction times and good physical intelligence (don't know the English term, the ability to automate steps of movement), there are quite a few sports where you can use those and where the competitors might not all be on the utmost professional level. And if you are very ambitious, driven, disciplined, and know how to plan trainings, that also helps a lot.
However those situations are still different from an early switch of sports, before you have even really started your career in your first sport.
(Not making a point here, I just find this interesting apart from any clinic relations.)
Yeah, I remember quite bold interview with Joanna Jedrzejczyk long time ago where she suggested that instead of Muay Thai and MMA champion, she could became elite tennis player or swimmer because of good physical conditions.

I consider this as much exaggerated opinion but it's probably some truth in this claim.

(i.e. a random rider with one or two results eons ago who suddenly blows everyone to pieces & climbs like 1995 Indurain because he apparently went on a sudden diet).

Why is Big Mig still misrepresented this way? Of course he was on EPO like everyone else then. But if you check the 1990 TdF you will see Indurain was climbing with Lemond. There was no "suddenly" with Indurain. If you check Wiki I see this:

He was the youngest rider ever to win the Spanish amateur national road championship, when he was 18,[6] at 20 the youngest rider to lead the Vuelta a España,[6] and at 20 he won a stage of the Tour de l'Avenir.[6][7]

At the time I always wanted to see someone beat him so I am no fanboy. Indurain was a genetic freak.

Why is Big Mig still misrepresented this way? Of course he was on EPO like everyone else then. But if you check the 1990 TdF you will see Indurain was climbing with Lemond. There was no "suddenly" with Indurain. If you check Wiki I see this:

At the time I always wanted to see someone beat him so I am no fanboy. Indurain was a genetic freak.

You've misunderstood my post, i.e. I'm talking about Padun "suddenly" climbing like 1995 Indurain (reaching Indurain's 1995 climbing time on La Plagne: Subiendo como una moto: Mark Padun indurains La Plagne! (climbing-records.com) ).

I'm not talking about Indurain, I'm talking about Padun's sudden transformation which he (unbelievably) attributed to a diet (loss of 4 kilos before the Dauphiné).

Reactions: Ripper
Was he competing internationally? Then he was elite enough to make the point. He’s got skills.
Sure, he was competing internationally. As I was also competing internationally at the junior level (not in ski jumping of course) it's hard for me to call myself former "elite athlete". :rolleyes:

I just wanted to point out that almost all of ski jumpers in his league are working full time in different jobs to live in the normal way... and training ski jumping in their free time. I wouldn't call it "elite" level if you can't earn enough money to pay your bills next month.

Sure, he was competing internationally. As I was also competing internationally at the junior level (not in ski jumping of course) it's hard for me to call myself former "elite athlete". :rolleyes:

I just wanted to point out that almost all of ski jumpers in his league are working full time in different jobs to live in the normal way... and training ski jumping in their free time. I wouldn't call it "elite" level if you can't earn enough money to pay your bills next month.
I get ya. I think the original point was that the guy was a tremendous athlete, he wasn’t just some schlub who rolled off the couch and decided to race bikes.

Reactions: Ripper
Jan Tratnik just won the Slovenian National TT (in front of Polanc & Pogacar). So that's another win for Bahrain, especially against two UAE guys (including the most famous one).

Not a bad May/June for Bahrain so far, not bad at all.
A weak performance by Tadej and a large improvement for Tratnik? Comparing to 2020 results.

Tratnik beat pogacar in 2018 but pogacar beat tratnik comfortably in 2019 and 2020.

Reactions: IndianCyclist
Pello Bilbao will be on the TDF podium. Behind Pogacar and Roglic.

The tour team is likely:
-Bilbao
-Colbrelli
-Haig
-Mohoric
-Padun
-Poels
-Teuns

With the 8th spot undecided, could be landa, could be haussler, capecchi, haller etc.

I think they can win at least 5 stages without a sprinter and take a podium with bilbao, top 10 with poels, top 10 with haig, polkadot jersey to padun, teuns win a stage, colbrelli win 2 stages and maybe green, mohoric at least 5 breakaways.

TRENDING THREADS