• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Bahrain

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the "most improved" riders of the season are all on the same team:
Colbrelli
Mohoric
Caruso
Haig
Mader
Padun
Tratnik

i can't even think of anyone from another team i'd include on this list. maybe Ben O'Connor? unless you want to count Cavendish. it's truly astounding.

There are a few other names. But indeed, Padun did a Padun, Mohoric was great in his junior/23 days, but ever after that showed nothing close to what he does this season, where he's among the top 5 allrounders, Caruso with the best GT of his career at 33, Tratnik with amazing climbing, Mäder improved to the point of being one of the best coming GT prospects - Haig's performance looks most normal compared, but considering he crashed hard during the Tour it's also quite impressive. Colbrelli - what can you say, the guy has always been good, but wow, how strong is he this year.
I would like a good explanation other than upping their illegal game, but that seems to be the most plausible. It could be a change in nutrition or general change in training approaches or something, but with Padun's weird "I lost some kilos within a week and suddenly I was god for a few days" and the Milan Erzen connection, I have a very, very bad feeling about this.

There are a few other names. But indeed, Padun did a Padun, Mohoric was great in his junior/23 days, but ever after that showed nothing close to what he does this season, where he's among the top 5 allrounders, Caruso with the best GT of his career at 33, Tratnik with amazing climbing, Mäder improved to the point of being one of the best coming GT prospects - Haig's performance looks most normal compared, but considering he crashed hard during the Tour it's also quite impressive. Colbrelli - what can you say, the guy has always been good, but wow, how strong is he this year.
I would like a good explanation other than upping their illegal game, but that seems to be the most plausible. It could be a change in nutrition or general change in training approaches or something, but with Padun's weird "I lost some kilos within a week and suddenly I was god for a few days" and the Milan Erzen connection, I have a very, very bad feeling about this.
Yes, Haig's level in Vuelta is so impressive because he crashed out of TDF and took only 4 weeks on the bike before Vuelta. And he destroyed Lopez Bernal and Yates despite that. And Mader did a lot of racedays already and just get stronger and stronger.

It's not quite Contador 08 beach stuff but it's close.

Yes, Haig's level in Vuelta is so impressive because he crashed out of TDF and took only 4 weeks on the bike before Vuelta. And he destroyed Lopez Bernal and Yates despite that
He didn't, they were all better than him this Vuelta but he was gifted his position due to a breakaway and afterwards just had the strongest team as support. This is still a crazy strong performance but it does make him look kinda more believable than some of his teammates performances.

I'm really curious where Bahrain are heading next years. They've had this weird year of constant individual overachieving without big success which still has them flying under the radar a bit. Take Mohoric for example, good knows how many top 10 positions he got this year, it feels like he was in every breakaway with a never stopping engine. I'm wondering if someone like him could suddenly blow up GTs next year.

Yes, Haig's level in Vuelta is so impressive because he crashed out of TDF and took only 4 weeks on the bike before Vuelta. And he destroyed Lopez Bernal and Yates despite that. And Mader did a lot of racedays already and just get stronger and stronger.

It's not quite Contador 08 beach stuff but it's close.
Haig is showing an extension of the progression he already has in his career. This is the first grand tour he rode as leader.

Lopez's issues are obvious. Bernal obviously not at his best, maybe related to getting Covid. Adam Yates is inconsistent. Haig has been consistent this Vuelta without being spectacular and also received huge help from his team, especially Mader.

Haig is showing an extension of the progression he already has in his career. This is the first grand tour he rode as leader.

Lopez's issues are obvious. Bernal obviously not at his best, maybe related to getting Covid. Adam Yates is inconsistent. Haig has been consistent this Vuelta without being spectacular and also received huge help from his team, especially Mader.
On Bahrain it seems like Haig is less surprising (he and Landa almost seem normal-ish). Most of the team, however, is just a giant WTF and there's just too many crazy and breakthrough performances.

I if there will be any more police raids?

For a team to secure GT podiums against better salaried rivals when their team leader has abandoned the race is an unusual combination to happen once (e.g. Vinnegaarde). Twice in one season (with Giro & Vuelta for Bahrain) I think this must be pretty much unprecedented? Especially when a rival like Yates has specifically targeted this event.

I'll feel more comfortable if all these newfound Bahrain superstars end up on bigger salaries on rival teams and produce the same level of performance (which due to economics is how sport in general works). Until then I'll be extremely suspicious.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Just seen the results. LOL.

Who will win the Vuelta TT today? Padun, Haig, Mader or Caruso?

Wrong again. How does it feel ? Looking at Bahrain's results in today's TT I honestly don't see the issue?

Caruso 16th @ 2'35" - a noted strong time trialist and nothing to ride for
Haig 17th @ 2'52" - riding to hold a podium
Mader 31st @ 3'19" - only 24, has been strong all Vuelta.
Padun - 132nd @ 7'49" - LOL, are you sure you weren't confused with anyone else?

Wrong again. How does it feel ? Looking at Bahrain's results in today's TT I honestly don't see the issue?

Caruso 16th @ 2'35" - a noted strong time trialist and nothing to ride for
Haig 17th @ 2'52" - riding to hold a podium
Mader 31st @ 3'19" - only 24, has been strong all Vuelta.
Padun - 132nd @ 7'49" - LOL, are you sure you weren't confused with anyone else?
I don't understand your response, I made this jokes before the TT

Bahrain was ridiculous this year and it's not over yet. They still lack that GC talent that can compete with Pogacar. Landa/Haig/Caruso ain't it.

I think Bahrain and UAE have the same thing but UAE is more careful in distributing it.

Whatever they have, it allows to have these huge solo attacks where they can maintain a lot of power over an unusual amount of time. No cracking at all and they always finish the job. Haig is actually one of the guys that looks the most human tbh. Mader is a mystery but so far he seems to go incognito. Pogacar, Majka, Caruso, Padun, Mohoric, Colbrelli all seem to have this beast mode when they are unstoppable.

TRENDING THREADS