• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Baloise Belgium Tour 2021 (June 9-13)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan-Willem van Schip gets tossed out of the BBT by the UCI because he used handlebars that are not permitted by the UCI. My first reaction was that this is bullsh!t, but on the other hand, i understand that if everybody were to start using these handlebars, that we might be having a lot more crashes... what do you guys think?

bc712e33-a4b0-412c-96c8-799767621b37-e1623444864841-728x350.jpg

Jan-Willem van Schip gets tossed out of the BBT by the UCI because he used handlebars that are not permitted by the UCI. My first reaction was that this is bullsh!t, but on the other hand, i understand that if everybody were to start using these handlebars, that we might be having a lot more crashes... what do you guys think?

bc712e33-a4b0-412c-96c8-799767621b37-e1623444864841-728x350.jpg
In the document the UCI sent to the riders there were photos with practical examples of what wasn't allowed. One of them was exactly these handlebars (even with a photo of van Schip!), so I think it's logical that he has been disqualified. The problem with this is that, according to BEAT, the commissaris approved the handlebars before race. That's just ridiculous.

How much weight does he need to loose? currently his weight is to high to follow in Amstel gold race where his exsplosiveness is still helpful. I see he is currently rated at 75kg, not sure if that is true. To be competitive in the mountains he would need to loose more than 5kg. Doubt he will be the same person you think he is now. They guy is amazing at what he does because his body is made for that. It is not made for GC, and him attempting that will make him fail on everything. He relies on his explosiveness and his recuperation of those explosive actions for almost everything and that is what makes him dominate.

I think u misunderstand me.

I for one do NOT think VDP can be made into a GT winner. Never.

I was simply pointing out that it wasn’t his TTing that was going to hurt him, but his inability to lose enough weight to make him a climber which is the only skill one MUST have these days

The commissaire who approve the handle bars should be tossed out first. Van Schip should have the days results negated since it was unfair to other riders but not deliberate. He should not be thrown out under any circumstance.
Its like a ship is trying to navigate between two rocks. The captain sees that he is crashing into one of the rocks. He orders a hard course correction to avoid crashing into one rock. In doing so the ship crashes into the second rock and the ship sinks.

What a ridiculous post. Not a single thing here worthy of responding to
Because you have'nt a single argument. Have you ever been on a bike ? Have you ever gone to extremes in harsh conditions ? In which country do you live ? What are the corona measures there ? Do you known the corona measures in Belgium ? No ? Well, then, don't react or react properly. In a mature way.

Because you have'nt a single argument. Have you ever been on a bike ? Have you ever gone to extremes in harsh conditions ? In which country do you live ? What are the corona measures there ? Do you known the corona measures in Belgium ? No ? Well, then, don't react or react properly. In a mature way.

:smilecat:

Please be careful - high blood pressure is a risk factor for COVID too

• Love
Reactions: jaylew and limak_
I'd like to see Zoccarato ride for a Belgian PCT team at the end of his current contract with Bardiani.
Physically he looks built for this kind of races, he likes the wind and often trains with Marcato. He's been in a number of breaks this year.

OK, fine.

"In a mature way?" Hilarious coming from the guy whose initial response to me included condescending statements like "And maybe unknown to you" and "But you probably unknown"

Bypassing the horrendous English which I'll let slide since I assume it isn't your 1st language, yeah, it's known.

And I see you're a bit of a newbie judging by when you joined and your inability to determine where I'm from so I'll just say yeah, I've ridden a bike a few times. Done probably 3-400 races in multiple countries including in "harsh conditions"and even had the chance to race against some current and former WT pros. When I'm done with this post, I'm heading out for 150k.

Go back and watch the footage. I'm guessing you don't actually know how Covid is spread. And I remember the Evans incident well. Comparing that to that time Evans slapped that guy is laughable. Go back and watch them both and you'll see why.

Big Doopie had a great response:

I think it was a little of that. I know I've barely wanted to move after every hard TT I've done let alone be ushered somewhere faster than I wanted to go.

I'm not crucifying him or anything, I just thought he could have handled it with a bit more decorum but ultimately, I don't think it's that big a deal.

Reactions: Big Doopie
In the document the UCI sent to the riders there were photos with practical examples of what wasn't allowed. One of them was exactly these handlebars (even with a photo of van Schip!), so I think it's logical that he has been disqualified. The problem with this is that, according to BEAT, the commissaris approved the handlebars before race. That's just ridiculous.

They interviewed the UCi commissar today and he said that the told BEAT that the bars were illegal but they insisted they had UCI approval. So he said race away and in the meantime sent pictures to the UCI HQ and they came back and told him they were illegal and to kick the rider off the race.
Someone is fibbing.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS