• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso vs. Nibali

"We must be at the forefront of all races," said Basso. "Nibali has great talent and I think that in five or six years he will be able to gain significant results. But there is difference between a leader and captain; being the captain is not easy to do, being the leader is even more difficult."
"In five or six years"? Well thank you, mr. Basso. Am I the only one who thinks that Nibali is already more or less on the same level as his esteemed colleague?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
"In five or six years"? Well thank you, mr. Basso. Am I the only one who thinks that Nibali is already more or less on the same level as his esteemed colleague?

It had to pass through translations, but when I read the article, I didn't think Basso was talking in terms of talent or potential results. He was talking about levels of leadership and experience - that's why he drew a further distinction between captain and leader. Andy Schleck finished second in the Tour last year, but did he lead Saxo Bank on and off the road, or was it Fabian Cancellara and/or Jens Voight?

luckyboy said:
Nibali 3rd Place TdF 2010 ;)
Well, that's maybe a bit too hopeful, but I certainly don't expect Basso to be on the podium either.

theswordsman said:
It had to pass through translations, but when I read the article, I didn't think Basso was talking in terms of talent or potential results. He was talking about levels of leadership and experience - that's why he drew a further distinction between captain and leader. Andy Schleck finished second in the Tour last year, but did he lead Saxo Bank on and off the road, or was it Fabian Cancellara and/or Jens Voight?
Saxo's road captain is Stuart O'Grady, but I don't think Basso is talking about that kind of leadership. He's talking about the rider who has to deliver the results for the team, and apparently he thinks Nibali will need five years before he'll be able do do that.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Nibali is a much better rider than Basso. Since his return he(Basso) looks like a Zubelida, Valjavec someone who'll end up in the top 10 but doesn't really create an impression on the race.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Nibali is a much better rider than Basso. Since his return he(Basso) looks like a Zubelida, Valjavec someone who'll end up in the top 10 but doesn't really create an impression on the race.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Basso was 5th in the Giro and 4th in the Vuelta.

In the Vuelta he seemed to be in the lead group on every climb, excepting the La Pandera ascent.

I don't know if he could win a GT again. But he can climb with the top riders... he just can't take EXTRA time in the climbs to finish ahead of better TT riders than can climb at the same level. I certainly think he's above Zubeldia and Valjavec. More like Pellizotti or Sastre.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

In the Vuelta he seemed to be in the lead group on every climb, excepting the La Pandera ascent.

I don't know if he could win a GT again. But he can climb with the top riders... he just can't take EXTRA time in the climbs to finish ahead of better TT riders than can climb at the same level. I certainly think he's above Zubeldia and Valjavec. More like Pellizotti or Sastre.

Ok I'll take your point he's better than Zubeldia and Valjavec. I was a fan of Basso, still am I guess but I doubt he'll be troubling the top step of a GT podium again(watch as he wins the Giro this year LOL). Nibali on the other hand could join the Contador/baby Schleck group and I hope he does also hoping that Gesink joins that group too.

A

Anonymous

"We must be at the forefront of all races," said Basso. "Nibali has great talent and I think that in five or six years he will be able to gain significant results. But there is difference between a leader and captain; being the captain is not easy to do, being the leader is even more difficult."

Here at the Lance Armstrong School of Old Guy Media Relations, we will teach you things like:
1. How to subtly insult the younger guy on your team who shows the most promise.
2. How to twitter with just one finger.
3. How to praise your closest competitors, while showing no real fear of them, and seem almost honest about it.

And if you sign up right now, we will throw in a 3 day symposium on how to be defensive about your past association with performance enhancing drugs! Act now, classes are forming daily!

Basso needs to look at his ID card and remain himself how old is he & how much time left he has in cycling to even dare to say that bvllsh!t

did he get advice from his texan friend for that statement?

Thoughtforfood said:
Here at the Lance Armstrong School of Old Guy Media Relations, we will teach you things like:
1. How to subtly insult the younger guy on your team who shows the most promise.
3. How to praise your closest competitors, while showing no real fear of them, and seem almost honest about it.

And if you sign up right now, we will throw in a 3 day symposium on how to be defensive about your past association with performance enhancing drugs! Act now, classes are forming daily!

Dude, don't forget a free entry into the Leadville 100.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

I concur basso is a very good rider... his first season back and he gets 2 top 4 finishs in gts(I think he counts as 4th with di lucas positive)... I would say Basso and pellizotti are till liquigases best two riders for gc and should be the leaders for the tour and giro..... I think he could win the giro this year if thats his main focus(although I think pellizotti has a better chance). Doubt he can in the tdf but I would say 3rd place is not out of his reach.

I dont think nibali is 5 or 6 years away from significant results though.... I think he'll be getting good places pretty soon... Dont think he will be a major contedor for many of the gts for another couple of years though.. I think bassos prediction is a wee bit off..

I like basso I hope he wins the giro.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nibali in 6 years will have significant results...lots of them. I don't think its 5 years away before he starts amassing them. He's proving to be another rider who can ride all season like AC and is very young. Like many, I'm very interested to see what liquigas do this season, who enters what, who's protected, who thrives who stays for 2011 etc. Some suggested Basso rode conservative last year, to avoid suspicion, but this year he won't.

Thoughtforfood said:

why you gotta make me feel old? oh yeah, i am... damnit.;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure what the meaning behind Basso's remarks were, or whether they were factual or something was lost in translation. Regardless, it has the potential to cause an unnecessary rift within an otherwise very strong GT team. Basso, Pellizotti, Nibali and Kreuziger - damn, that is one strong team with lots of options. It would be much better if they worked together rather than against each other. We don't need another silly LA-AC infighting sideshow.

Thoughtforfood said:

Love it! Where can I sign up? :D

Potomac said:
Hopefully we can decide who is the stronger rider right here on this forum, and thus save Basso and Nibali the trouble of settling the problem on the road.

I will say it is Basso. Until Nibali beats him.

Potomac, I like your style. I'll co-sign this bold statement. :p:D

In all seriousness, this is Basso's year to prove that he's the man on the road, not in the press. If he learned nothing from the Lance and Alberto show, you would think he would just STFU and let his legs do the talking. I think he has the maturity to be the leader of the team, I'm curious if he's got the form to command the leadership.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
He's proving to be another rider who can ride all season like AC

you mean finish his season at the end of july?

karlboss said:
Some suggested Basso rode conservative last year, to avoid suspicion, but this year he won't.

That's silly. If he is riding clean why should he hold back to avoid suspicion?
I doubt that is true, much more liekly he was rusty from 2-3 years of not racing. Or he simply doesn't have that kick anymore.

But personally i was impressed with his performances. Two 4th places. What's not to like? He was very consistant, and climbed no worse then say... evans at the vuelta. I don't think Nibali is better, but he has the potential to be.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
5 years would be the difference in his and Basso's current age.
4 years after Ivan was flying at the Giro and 5 after he was Tour RU to Old Father Time.
2-3 years to his peak seasons, I would say.

Nibali is 24, Basso is 31. 7 years but who is counting?

I am not expecting Nibali to set the world on fire this year. If Contador and Schleck were not racing, yes I think he could make the podium. 2 or 3 years should iron out the kinks and help solve the team issues. Sky have been building bridges. If Liquigas stuff up their leadership roles this year, the doors will open for Vincenzo to leave. Part of that relies on Wigans as well.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I think liquigas is a great place for nibali to be btw....... basso and pelizotti atre good experienced riders and are nearing the ends of their top level careers just as nibali will be starting his... and he is italian... I doubt Liquigas will care who the best rider is as long as they win... So if i were nibali i would just stay with liquigas do his job and take any chances he gets untill he becomes the real leader..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

I'm in. Do you get a free blood doping kit chucked in as well? Plus a FERRARI would be handy.

BYOP88 said:
Ok I'll take your point he's better than Zubeldia and Valjavec. I was a fan of Basso, still am I guess but I doubt he'll be troubling the top step of a GT podium again(watch as he wins the Giro this year LOL). Nibali on the other hand could join the Contador/baby Schleck group and I hope he does also hoping that Gesink joins that group too.
Basso is definetly not as good as Sastre or Pellizotti. but definetly better than Zubeldia and Valjavec.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
you mean finish his season at the end of july?

That's silly. If he is riding clean why should he hold back to avoid suspicion?
I doubt that is true, much more liekly he was rusty from 2-3 years of not racing. Or he simply doesn't have that kick anymore.

But personally i was impressed with his performances. Two 4th places. What's not to like? He was very consistant, and climbed no worse then say... evans at the vuelta. I don't think Nibali is better, but he has the potential to be.

Didn't know the vuelta was in july. I suppose its easy to forget.

The implication of my post was that its been suggested, he's holding back on how much medical help he receives not the effort he races with.

I agree, that in your first year racing again 2 4ths in GTs is an excellent performance. Basso has never had a kick.

TRENDING THREADS