• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso vs. Vino

May 9, 2009
Visit site
IF Basso wins the Giro will there be the same outrage towards him as there was toward Vino when he won Liège one month ago?

Yes or no?
Why or why not?

Just curious...

May 15, 2009
Visit site
IIRC Basso admitted to 'thinking about' or 'attempting' doping or something. Which sounds pretty weak to me, but it is at least marginally better than Vino - who failed a test, was unrepentant, then 'retired' to try and get a shorter ban.

I think if Basso wins the reaction may be more of a depressed sigh.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Do you mean here on the CN forum? Or in general?

The tifosi appeared to be quite supportive of him yesterday climbing up The Crown...then again, they appreared quite supportive of Vino too. :eek:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
RhodriM said:
IIRC Basso admitted to 'thinking about' or 'attempting' doping or something. Which sounds pretty weak to me, but it is at least marginally better than Vino - who failed a test, was unrepentant, then 'retired' to try and get a shorter ban.

I think if Basso wins the reaction may be more of a depressed sigh.

That cracked me up. He won the Giro by more than 15 minutes clean, and then thought he might need to dope the next year.

Anyone who believes that is daft.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
IF Basso wins the Giro will there be the same outrage towards him as there was toward Vino when he won Liège one month ago?

Yes or no?
Why or why not?

Just curious...

No.
Basso behaved like a model citizen (after he lied for as long as he possibly could, signed a new contract and then still didn't confess to actually doping himself) and is from a traditional cycling country.

Vino is from a scary country, has a personality we don't understand and he's unrepentant. Unrepentant I tell you!

I think most people complaining are just jealous his bloodtest results come up 100% awesome.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Basso publishes all his blood values right? Lots of people here seem to believe in Basso so I'm starting to look at him a bit differently. I know it would be a lot to ask one of these guys to be like Millar or Landis and actually talk about doping... It sure would be nice if he apologized, admitted to it, etc. The fans understand doping has been sort've a requirement in the past. I definitely won't be upset, like I would with Vino, that guy is unrepentant, and a total tool.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I think a couple things come to play. First, Basso really lame admission plays at least part. I mean, he was attempting to dope was lamer than "I didn't inhale" but it was admitting without admitting. Vino still thinks we're dumb enough to believe his claims of being clean.

Secondly, I think there is a likability factor. Basso seems like a pretty good guy. He may not be, but that is how he comes across. Vino on the other hand, seems to be a bit of a jag-off. It might just be that he's pretty reserved, but to me he seems like an ***.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
...I think most people complaining are just jealous his bloodtest results come up 100% awesome.

Please tell me they are showing How I Met Your Mother in The Netherlands...now that would be awesome :D

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
That cracked me up. He won the Giro by more than 15 minutes clean, and then thought he might need to dope the next year.

It was the closest he could get to admitting it without losing his Giro title. If any doping conviction lead to all previous achievements being wiped clean he'd probably admit to doping.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
They love him! As long as an Italian wins the Giro, the Tifosi will be satisfied.
Maybe even Ricco ;)

Ha, when I saw La Vuelta last year I realised I was probably the only person on the mountain who wanted to throw rocks at Valverde rather than cheer him.

RhodriM said:
Ha, when I saw La Vuelta last year I realised I was probably the only person on the mountain who wanted to throw rocks at Valverde rather than cheer him.

Agree....And when Valverde was in Australia this year i wanted to do the same,except i would have gone to jail for that.........P.S. Willunga climb is not a mountain..

Mongol_Waaijer said:

Indeed. He was, erm. on a different level to everyone that year. And Le Tour was next and then his dog tripped him up :( But he is back and will win the Giro easy - sigh

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
then his dog tripped him up
This is something that always bothered me about the whole Puerto thing. If you're paying that much money for an illegal doping program, do you expect the clinic to have a more sophisticated encryption system than using your dog's name?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ellenbrook2001 said:
hahaha you rigth everyone will be stunt????????????????but i am so confused all the leaders look so tired so dead but BASSO still fresh lol hmmm why????????/

I wouldn't have said he looked that much fresher than the other GC contenders. Keep in mind that the baseline level of Evans is to look like he just ran a marathon - and then he looks worse on the bike.

Basso looked to be suffering on the Zoncolan and in the TT - but his "suffer face" has a bit of a smile-like grimace in it.

Not saying he is clean - just saying he doesn't look all that much better than anyone else.

hector5950 said:
This is something that always bothered me about the whole Puerto thing. If you're paying that much money for an illegal doping program, do you expect the clinic to have a more sophisticated encryption system than using your dog's name?

Maybe like your Bank asking for your Mothers's maiden name, first School, First Pet's name etc as a security check

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Phew, for a minute there I thought you were going to miss an opportunity to have a go at Evans.
Well done.

MJM's like the anti-ACF94. I think Cuddles stole his/her parking spot once. Pictures of Evans on the dartboard, Newspaper clippings covered in blood - you get the idea. :)

(And no, I don't think Cuddles is clean either.)

Runitout said:
MJM's like the anti-ACF94. I think Cuddles stole his/her parking spot once. Pictures of Evans on the dartboard, Newspaper clippings covered in blood - you get the idea. :)

(And no, I don't think Cuddles is clean either.)

I think they are the same person. Inner turmoil etc..

TRENDING THREADS