• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BBC coverage

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
piemonster said:
It's bloody awful, and that's coming from from a fair weather riding ignorant part timer like myself.

Cringe worthy at best

I took a swat at the BBC yesterday for the race coverage. It turns out that I was wrong to do because apparently the IOC controls the TV output from a wholly owned Spanish subsidiary. It doesn't change the fact that Jill Douglas was a disgrace with Vino though. Jake Humphrey has done his cycling homework over the last 6 months though and is doing an OK job. Boardman as good as ever. Porter has reached his Duffield stage and should have been retired a few years back.

A

Anonymous

The BBC commentators were moaning all through the race.

So I am not sure who actually was at fault for:
1. No information about the route.
2. No opportunity to maximise the Tourist attractions.
3. No cultural information (the Games are supposed top do that) e.g. they went round Box Hill nine times 9was it?) with nothing said about Jane Austen and the book Emma, the National trust, the Suurey Hills....etc, etc
4. Inadequate use of the helicopter for the above
5. Race information was non-existent (I assume that was the OC's fault?) - clearly the commentators had no more information than we did with our own eyes

I started to use Google Earth and Street View just so i could try and follow where they were. Even the maps provided on the web were atrocious and did not actually show large towns through which they passed (Dorking and Leatherhead for instance)

The last thirty kms almost had me crying with rage at such a missed opportunity - it reminded me of coverage in the 1950s, all that was missing was the snow on the screen.

6 hours of TV torture - come back Phil and Paul and Prudhomme

- all is forgiven!!

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Unlike most of the teenage Murdoch haters around here, I dance a jig of joy everytime Sky take some more coverage from the BBC.

The BBC are bloody awful at sport, and they clearly don't care.

For many it's a case of affordability.
If you have deep pockets, Sky is clearly the better option.

However, for many, it means sports get blacked out.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The BBC can't blame whoever provides the pictures though for claiming Greipel outsprinting Cavendish at the end was "the race for fourth spot", seconds after we'd just watched about 25 riders come home in the bronze group, or for banging on about the Italians driving the chase group along when the two jerseys at the front clearly said "Colombia". That's just being rubbish.

A

Anonymous

Arnout,

Perhaps you could write in and tell BBC (and the others) how to pronounce your surnames! I cringe every time I hear 'BOOOM!!'.

Howard Thomas said:
Arnout,

Perhaps you could write in and tell BBC (and the others) how to pronounce your surnames! I cringe every time I hear 'BOOOM!!'.

Well, when's the next time BBC will broadcast cycling? I guess in Rio 2016.

The others have been told already though (Phil and Paul at least) but can't be bothered.

A

Anonymous

LugHugger said:
I took a swat at the BBC yesterday for the race coverage. It turns out that I was wrong to do because apparently the IOC controls the TV output from a wholly owned Spanish subsidiary. It doesn't change the fact that Jill Douglas was a disgrace with Vino though. Jake Humphrey has done his cycling homework over the last 6 months though and is doing an OK job. Boardman as good as ever. Porter has reached his Duffield stage and should have been retired a few years back.

If Jill Douglas is an example of Sky, for whom she used to work, then I'm glad I haven't got it. Thanks for the info about primary coverage. It had to be so, because BBC is excellent at sports and it is fatuous to write otherwise. Doesn't mean that Sky is never better, that's not the point. It also explains why the cultural and tourist side was so awful - same again today I suppose :mad:

Seems that the UK has messed up here. It ought to have insisted that we could advertise 'Beautiful and historic Britain' like the French do so magnificently with the TdF. I thought that was the whole point (getting political here)

Watching the bbc cpverage replay the guy says "Cancellara, the best tter of all time, sorry Chris, but he is".

I think Inudrain was better.

Also, apparently Valverde has podiumed the Tour de France and Geelong world championships, were in Belgium with Gilbert attacking in front of his home crowd.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Watching the bbc cpverage replay the guy says "Cancellara, the best tter of all time, sorry Chris, but he is".

I think Inudrain was better.

Also, apparently Valverde has podiumed the Tour de France and Geelong world championships, were in Belgium with Gilbert attacking in front of his home crowd.

That was hilarious.

On another note, does anyone know where I could find a full replay? Or at least a replay from the start of the laps of Box Hill?

Womens road race, the only thing they said about any rider was if they won a medal in Beijing or not. Vos has won so much and all they could say about her was was repeat ad nauseum that she won a gold on the track in 08.

I turned over to ES for the last 5km and there was a female rider on the commentary - not a part time road cyclist from 10 years ago who doesn't watch the sport, and they were discussing how Vos won this that and the other, how Lizzie won Gent-Wevelgem,

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
In the road race when the peleton was sprinting for whatever it was, 30th place? The announcer goes "and here comes the sprint for 4th!" Also they had not a clue even which countries were which.. Is that a dutch rider, no swiss, I think it's australian, nono it's..

lol linekar (the old, if people know the face they will watch, strategy) suggests that Lizzie armistead can repay Emma Pooley in the tt on Thursday, then is told in his earpiece that it doesn't quite work like that, and Boardman has to explain why an individual time trial does not have the same team idea as the mass start road race.

He then got confused about how yesterday people were working for 1 guy and today the girls were not doing the same (as britain didnt have just 1 card).

You cant write this stuff.

TRENDING THREADS