• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BBC coverage

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
It's not just the BBC but the majority of English speaking cycling commentators that are not crazy enough about the sport to know the shape or the riding style of a cyclist just by seeing them - and can't have good stab of identifying who it is without the bid number.

Hell, Hugh Porter couldn't even identify several riders while the camera was actually focused on their number ... it was like he didn't even have a start list.

On the other hand, there's no commentator in any language I understand who can identify riders as well as Davide Cassani (RAI's technical expert).

Cassani must spend half his life studying videos trying to identify every pro rider's idiosyncrasies, whether it be position on the bike, shoe/sock colour, tactical preference, position within the peloton, etc.

"we will assess bradley wiggins chances in the time trial tomorrow"

How the bbc describes talking about what he has for breakfast.

They mentioned who the favorites were for the women but for the men they just said how to ride a tt, and about wiggins but not even about his chances in the tt.

Maybe they thought revealing that this cancellara would have won had he not been injured was best a secret kept from the public.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Caruut said:
Cavendish to join BBC commentary team for the track cycling.
Anyone interested in that track stuff besides Anglosaxions?

Coverage on RR's was bad. But what do we expect of a nation with no real RR history. Not to criticize, it is what it is. Brits are great at track and field coverage, cycling is something different. Didn't even see Cancellara go of at Box Hill those guys.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

Coverage on RR's was bad. But what do we expect of a nation with no real RR history. Not to criticize, it is what it is. Brits are great at track and field coverage, cycling is something different. Didn't even see Cancellara go of at Box Hill those guys.

A *DUTCH* tv company filmed and directed the road race. Olympic events are sub-contracted by the organisers.

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
In defense of some of the confusion, it seems to me the kit should have national flags large enough so the commentators and spectators have a clue. A flag on the helmets would work. The Netherlands and Spain were obvious, but the rest were difficult.

Coverage on RR's was bad. But what do we expect of a nation with no real RR history.

So, as already pointed out, you accidentally made the statement that the Dutch have no real history of road racing.
So, I'll post a couple of :eek::eek: for you.

Interest in the track?
The Chinese, Eastern Europeans, Eurasia all have a number of potential medallists.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
A *DUTCH* tv company filmed and directed the road race. Olympic events are sub-contracted by the organisers.
Lol, that's funny. Let's just say he did a hell of of job...

Also not giving the time differences like it was an amateur ride, come on, the public wants to be informed. I understood this was up to the IOC but still.

nterest in the track?
The Chinese, Eastern Europeans, Eurasia all have a number of potential medallists.
So no RR nations. France? Spain? Italy? Belgium? Holland?

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
where is Chiner? Canader? Austrailer? I hear BBC commentators talk of these countries, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist.
can someone British please explain why sometimes they put r's on the end of words that end in 'a', I have never got a grammatical explanation for this and it has always bugged me, thanks in advance for anyone that can explain this.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
"we will assess bradley wiggins chances in the time trial tomorrow"

How the bbc describes talking about what he has for breakfast.

They mentioned who the favorites were for the women but for the men they just said how to ride a tt, and about wiggins but not even about his chances in the tt.

Maybe they thought revealing that this cancellara would have won had he not been injured was best a secret kept from the public.

On the BBC breakfast programme this morning they brought in Michael Hutchinson who did mention that both Cancellara and Martin had been injured.

I didn't see the BBS coverage of the two road races as I was in France, however two female colleagues in the office next door to me did watch it and enjoyed it, this despite a) being British, and b) having no interest in cycling!

Hawkwood said:
On the BBC breakfast programme this morning they brought in Michael Hutchinson who did mention that both Cancellara and Martin had been injured.

I didn't see the BBS coverage of the two road races as I was in France, however two female colleagues in the office next door to me did watch it and enjoyed it, this despite a) being British, and b) having no interest in cycling!

Its getting cycling to the masses but just not very well explained. A stranger on the bus yesterday overheard me talking about cycling and asked me why Cav wasnt doing the TT today. This is the level of knowledge they are aiming at, it was never going to be enough for people who follow it year round.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Its getting cycling to the masses but just not very well explained. A stranger on the bus yesterday overheard me talking about cycling and asked me why Cav wasnt doing the TT today. This is the level of knowledge they are aiming at, it was never going to be enough for people who follow it year round.

Agree, I also think it was a mistake from a British point of view canning the kilometre time trial as at least the British public could understand what was going on!

Hope this is not too off-topic but the most recent edition of Private Eye suggests that the Murdoch press only gave Wiggins big coverage after he, Murdoch, had dropped some rather large twitter hints that they should do so!

CobbleStoner said:
where is Chiner? Canader? Austrailer? I hear BBC commentators talk of these countries, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist.
can someone British please explain why sometimes they put r's on the end of words that end in 'a', I have never got a grammatical explanation for this and it has always bugged me, thanks in advance for anyone that can explain this.

It's just regional accents. Hugh Porter (the main commentator) has a Midlands accent and Chris Boardman (co-commentator) has a Merseyside accent (but not as strong as the Liverpool accent though).

Using your example, the word 'China' would be pronounced in quite different ways, depending on what part of the country you're from.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

Try living in Britain, there are different pronunciations depending on where you are from for just about every city, town or village!

Richeypen said:

To be honest, cycling is quite a complicated sport. I remember when I first became interested in cycling, some 10 years ago, that I only knew what the Tour de France was, and couldn't for the life of me understand why riders would not ride there, and why riders were happy with a stage win when they were down on GC.

I'm sure a lot of people in Britain will lose interest once the hype is over, but if this hype manages to keep 5% or even 2% of the newbies watching and interested, there would be a large base for a proper cycling culture in Britain. It does of course help that more and more people use their bike also over the pond, in that respect it is easier compared to other sports to keep people attached. But am I right in saying cycling is a hype now, even though the Olympics are on? At least I get this impressing when browsing English newspaper websites.

So no RR nations. France? Spain? Italy? Belgium? Holland?

Ooooeerrr, sorry. All of the above involved in the track.
France are one of the major players.

On the BBC, have to say that rowing commentator going hoarse at the women winning was a bit much.
Also, what is deemed a weakness in foreign boats, often seems next to be spun as a GB strength.:eek:

Mellow Velo said:
Ooooeerrr, sorry. All of the above involved in the track.
France are one of the major players.

On the BBC, have to say that rowing commentator going hoarse at the women winning was a bit much.
Also, what is deemed a weakness in foreign boats, often seems next to be spun as a GB strength.:eek:

It's unashamedly biased coverage, with respect for great performances from overseas, which is what most people want.

Hawkwood said:

P and P are renowned by non cycling fans as the greatest commentators in any sport on the planet.

Does that mean we don't criticize them when theyfail to notice the situation on the road, paraphrase Fabiani or call say that Valverdes first name is Luis,

gooner said:
Yeah I am watching it as well.

Why is Denise Lewis on when there is no athletics on yet?:confused:

She wants a seperate award for women at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards. Wiggins is 1-7 to win it.

She was on the day before as well (or was it yesterday). They have athletics on every day. Johnson twice, her twice and Carl Lewis.

TRENDING THREADS