• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben O'Connor: Baby face becomes conqueror

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I disagree with this. You can’t stereotype. O’Conner might have temperament issues but I will reserve judgment until we see more of him. Plus, has every team leader had the spotlight publicly shone on them during a grand tour as O’Conner was on Netflix?

Leading a team in a grand tour isn’t what Roger Federer contends with playing tennis. I wonder how Fed would cope with what grand tour riders are asked to do? Dare I say he’d be more likely to lose his cool?

Other riders I recall who got prickly doing their job under pressure were Wiggins and Cadel. I’d call them winners?
Ha ha yeah Cadel on Netflix wouldn't have been pretty I reckon lol

O'Connor's problem is the fact he's not one of the best.

It means his emotional issues coupled with poor leadership on the road adds up to make him a pretty ineffective GC rider in a GT like the Tour. At one point Vincent Lavenu at the top of the Puy de Dôme basically questions the logic & sense in O'Connor screaming SH*T F*CK on the radio when he's getting dropped.

Cadel Evans meanwhile was one of the favorites to win the Tour during his prime (& achieved exactly that). That's the difference between a champion with a rough temperament who gets the job done & an 'okay rider' with temperament problems who freaks out & starts screaming as soon as he's dropped.

O'Connor's problem is the fact he's not one of the best.

It means his emotional issues coupled with poor leadership on the road adds up to make him a pretty ineffective GC rider in a GT like the Tour. At one point Vincent Lavenu at the top of the Puy de Dôme basically questions the logic & sense in O'Connor screaming SH*T F*CK on the radio when he's getting dropped.

Cadel Evans meanwhile was one of the favorites to win the Tour during his prime (& achieved exactly that). That's the difference between a champion with a rough temperament who gets the job done & an 'okay rider' with temperament problems who freaks out & starts screaming as soon as he's dropped.
He clearly feels a lot of pressure as leader, especially as a non French rider on a very French team. But even a lesser rider like Gaudu on an equally French team can act out, as we’ve seen.

Reactions: Sandisfan