• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ben Swift Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BYOP88 said:
Is he on the roster for Sky at the TdF?

I read an interview with Swifty this month, and he's obviously desperate to ride the Tour, especially with the two Yorkshire stages. If he holds his form, maybe he could take EBH's place?

Re Stage 2, The Badger rode some of it recently and said it's made for someone like Sagan or Gilbert. I (jokingly) posted the last climb in today's Pais Vasco stage thread after Swifty's win: Jenkin Road.

The steepest part makes you want to tack across the road, vintage Froome style, and if it's wet, your back wheel will start spinning. The handrail you can see on the >30% section is to help oldies walk up it, or stop them rolling down.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
escartin said:
erm, he appears to have just finished 25th after Gavia, Stelvio and Val Martello just behind Basso and way in front of Pellizotti! :eek:

I guess he likes mountains and bad weather!

I am greatly confused!

When I suggested he might win the green jersey at the Vuelta in 2011 a good judge commented that Ben Swift would struggle to get over a speed bump!

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
He doens't want to go to Tour hahaha :D

He said its great its starting in UK, but he knows he'd only domestique there and he doesn't want that.

He will ride Pologne - and Vuelta as big goal.

escartin said:
erm, he appears to have just finished 25th after Gavia, Stelvio and Val Martello just behind Basso and way in front of Pellizotti! :eek:

I guess he likes mountains and bad weather!

That's a really good ride from him, it seems he is getting some good climbing form at the expense of a little speed in the sprint. He should still get his fair share of chances for wins when the route is too tough for the sprinters.

Vuelta is a good opportunity for him, he would be wasted at the Tour.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Vuelta is a good opportunity for him, he would be wasted at the Tour.

Depending on the point system they are using this year he's got to be one of the favourites for the green jersey. He'll certainly win multiple stages.

Is stage two of the tour too tough for him? Ends pretty much in his home town? Obviously Sky's top priority will be Froome for the overall GC but Swift could be worth a try? Yellow jersey could well go to the winner of that stage too.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This was what Ben said before the start of the Giro about today's and tomorrow's stage where he is one of the favourites:

Ben Swift: "This is a big day for the General Classification riders. It's hard to see how it will pan out though because nobody will go too fast up the first two mountains - breakaway riders will take the prizes at the top of the Gavia and Stelvio passes - it will be about reducing the peloton and and racing up the last climb. I love doing the iconic climbs like the Gavia and Stelvio. We sprinters are not bad climbers, you just try and get up as best you can. A big bunch of riders will form a coalition on the first climb, called a gruppetto, and it's about supporting team-mates. It's after the rest day but we're still going to be tired and if you've not got the break right you will pay a lot.

Ben Swift: "This is one of the stages that might suit me. It has a couple of small climbs towards the end and after that it's still a little lumpy - it all depends on which sprinters are left in the race because some only do first 10 days if they're hoping to race in the Tour de France as well. I can see a breakaway or a bunch sprint. The teams of the General Classification riders are not going to chase, they're going to see it as more of a recovery day ahead of the next three days in the mountains."

SlimChance said:
Depending on the point system they are using this year he's got to be one of the favourites for the green jersey. He'll certainly win multiple stages.

I'm guessing you mean the Vuelta points jersey here and not the Tour green one, if so then yes he should be up there. More of the Vuelta stages will suit him as long as he can get back to form after a break when the Giro is over.

SlimChance said:
Heading for the Tour Of Britain. I think he's a lively contender for the podium behind Kittel and Cavendish.

Kittel and Cav have got no chance of a podium. They will lose a lot of time up the tumble and there are some tough hills close to the finish around stages 2,4, 5 and 7 that will break up the peloton.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious if Sir Wiggo does have the form to challenge for the win.There are not too many guys who could bother him,just Kwiatkowski,Konig or Roche.

May 1, 2013
Visit site
cant see swifty getting podium even if hes in shape to get over hilly stages there is a itt(prologue) split last stage which he will lose time on the likes of chavanel,wiggins, kwai, Cummings et al

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Ben Swift

Anyone else think Swift should target AMG? He's been climbing remarkably well and sprinting ok. If he can survive and have a couple of teammates (e.g. Nordhaug and Henao) bring him back whilst Kw. rests on wheels in front, I am sure he could pull it off.

Any thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS