• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bernal vs. Pogacar vs. Evenepoel

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To clarify hype around Roglič. He's a story of every Slovenian. For years the underdog, late bloomer, pushing the limits of Slovenian cycling, first in many many things in cycling (as Slovenian). We are following him for years now, read stories from his girlfriend/wife, watch news, even documentaries about his preparation. He has become a household name even for those who are not that interested in cycling. And we all know, he doesn't have much time left for winning (30 years old).

Pogačar came "out of nowhere", is really young and not as known to us as Roglič. He's time will come. Or is it already here? o_O

To clarify hype around Roglič. He's a story of every Slovenian. For years the underdog, late bloomer, pushing the limits of Slovenian cycling, first in many many things in cycling (as Slovenian). We are following him for years now, read stories from his girlfriend/wife, watch news, even documentaries about his preparation. He has become a household name even for those who are not that interested in cycling. And we all know, he doesn't have much time left for winning (30 years old).

Pogačar came "out of nowhere", is really young and not as known to us as Roglič. He's time will come. Or is it already here? o_O
Yeah that makes a lot of sense

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pog was clearly the strongest in the last two stages. Roglic et al couldn't keep up with him in stage 8 (despite what Roglic says). Pog could have dropped them all on stage 9 but he needed some for the flats. It all depends on the rise or fall in form of Pog, Rog, Bernal and Quintana over the rest of the race.

1. Vuelta isn't the highest stage.
  2. Indeed he hasn't done this in a GT yet -mainly because he hasn't participated in one yet- but he has shown immense potential. It sucks he can't participate in the Giro this year.
  3. Not all of Remco's victories are in prep races either. Although not a win, the WC TT isn't a prep race either.
  4. He's also the youngest of the three.
  5. It really sucks he can't participate in the Giro this year.

Reactions: Big Doopie
I don't know who these guys are, but i thought this was a funny clip. Like 90's teenage girls talking about Take That or Boyzone.

View: https://twitter.com/itvcycling/status/1302924719516258305
Those are the ITV boys (from left to right): Peter Kennaugh, Matt Rendell, David Millar, Ned Boulting.
I love how they're talking about arguably the 3 best riders in the world while Matt suggests Quinn Simmons.

I don't think Brailsford will have any hope of signing Pogacar or Evenepoel. Why would either of them want to be on the same team as Bernal? All three of these guys want to win the Tour, not split leadership.

Those are the ITV boys (from left to right): Peter Kennaugh, Matt Rendell, David Millar, Ned Boulting.
I love how they're talking about arguably the 4 best riders in the world while Matt suggests Quinn Simmons.

I don't think Brailsford will have any hope of signing Pogacar or Evenepoel. Why would either of them want to be on the same team as Bernal? All three of these guys want to win the Tour, not split leadership.
I just listened to the uncut part in the actual podcast. Someone mentions Pidcock as well. To be fair, I can totally see Simmons become a contender in many of the races Hirschi could shine, in the next two or three years.

I just listened to the uncut part in the actual podcast. Someone mentions Pidcock as well. To be fair, I can totally see Simmons become a contender in many of the races Hirschi could shine, in the next two or three years.
Yeah it's funny actually because Simmons and Pidcock are riders that Ineos are far more likely to sign. I'm 99% sure Pidcock will go to Ineos at some point. Simmons could well be tearing it up when he's Hirschis age (the old age of 22).

I will be.

A decade is long, 15 GTs is a lot, and they'll probably collide a lot with each other.

It depends on their race selection. If they focus on Tour too much then no. If they diversify their GS races or take part in 2 per season I think it's likely.
Look at Froome Contador and Nibali: they won officially 16 GT races in 2008-2017 (and 17 races on the road).

Last edited:
It depends on their race selection. If they focus on Tour too much then no. If they diversify their GS races or take part in 2 per season I think it's likely.
Look at Froome Contador and Nibali: they won officially 17 GT races in 2008-2017 (and 18 races on the road).
While I also wouldn’t be surprised (or disappointed; they’re all exciting in their own way) if they manage to match Froome / Contador / Nibali, I’ll take the field.

There’s a world in which Bernal becomes the new Quintana (mythical climber who peaked early and was supposed to win a ton but didn’t), Remco never fully recovers from his injuries, Pogacar gets beaten by Roglic and Dumoulin over next couple seasons, then Wout makes his transformation and begins his domination, not to mention 10 years for new riders to enter the scene...we’ll see.

And I think if you'd have said this about the lot at the start of 2008, it have looked insane.

No matter how it looked, what matters here is that it happened!
I know this prediction is bold since Remco hasn't proven himself on GT stage yet and Pogacar/Bernal are still at beginning of their careers but judging by potential of these riders it wouldn't surprise me if they pull this of.

Maybe the surprises won't be that big since the ability to predict rider's success will be enhanced by the metrics, algorithms, knowledge and technical possibilities of today. Still we should be in for some surprise transformations and developments from guys who are now 24, 26 or even 28. Then some who are 22 or 23 now but don't look like world beaters will come out, some guys who are now 17 or 18 will be winning when they are 20 or 21, and a good deal of the riders who are now 30+ will not fade as soon as we think.
To predict dominance based on potential is tough to impossible, and apart from the bad luck and mental difficulties that can happen to a gifted rider you should just never discount the riders you do not see coming, yet.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O

TRENDING THREADS