• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bernal vs. Pogacar vs. Evenepoel

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
last year Bernal was 22 and a half. This year Pogaca will turn 22 next week. So it's exactly a 6 months difference.
Underrated comment.

For me it's all about 2021 in this thing. For Evenepoel we simply don't know enough about the high mountain climbing. Worst case scenario for Evenepoel is that he's an ATG hilly classics talent but no ATG level GT rider.

Bernal is really the one who needs to step it up next year.
ATG?

last year Bernal was 22 and a half. This year Pogaca will turn 22 next week. So it's exactly a 6 months difference.

My bad
But it doesn't make a big difference. Bernal is clearly less versatile than Pogačar and I think that it will be quite difficult for him to change that and manage to beat him in a GT unless its a high altitude route with little TT, similar to last year.

Reactions: Oldermanish
My bad
But it doesn't make a big difference. Bernal is clearly less versatile than Pogačar and I think that it will be quite difficult for him to change that and manage to beat him in a GT unless its a high altitude route with little TT, similar to last year.
I won't debate that nor that Pog's win was ultimately more impressive, but it was you who brought up the age difference as if it mattered ;-)

Simple thing to say is that all 3 are exceptional talents and the slightly different emphasis to their best disciplines makes the prospect of them all fighting GC at the same Grand Tour so mouthwatering.

Remco can and does light it up from any type of route and with his DQS team so proficient on the flat and rolling terrain they can rip up the modern rule book of how to win a 3 week race.

The questions are multi mountain stages and 3 week endurance.

Bernal is the best climber and if the route is big on altitude he has a natural advantage. He is certainly a competent TT rider and today’s course would have been decent for him at his best.

Can Bernal put enough time into Remco and Pogi on the summit finishes.

Pogi seems to have a very well rounded skill set and the confidence to back it up. Great mental strength to overcome the time loss in the crosswinds after a puncture.

His weak team is a concern and he won’t always have the advantage of the dominant GC team riding in a way that also suits him. Bonus seconds were also very beneficial to him and his punchiness is crucial.

I would not like to call who will have won more big races by the time they are all 25.

This Giro is the last really big chance for the Contador/Froome/Nibali generation to claim the top step and I would add Quintana to that.

Bold claim but I think this trio will surpass them in quality and quantity of Grand Tours.

I feel sorry for the other young GC guys who must feel like the level they need to reach to beat the big 3 is stratospheric.
Let them play it out. The hype is getting overboard. You’d think Bauke Mollema was young again.

For Pogacar it’s deserved, but Quick Step isn’t going to rip up any GT playbook. That’s funny. They are so bad in the mountains he’ll be isolated and have no one to do anything. Imagine Bernal and Pogacar attacking Remco. He’d be easy right now because he has no one to bring them back. Throw in young climbers like Mas and Kuss attacking him and he won’t make it to week 2.

A place to discuss and compare the three most talented GC riders amongst the new generation.

Bernal: the man for long climbs at high altitude
Pogacar: the man with climbing punch and a Contador attacking attitude
Evenepoel: not a man but a god ;-)

These three riders will likely rule the GTs over the next decade.

For me, who ends up on top at the end for history's sake, will largely depend on the direction that GT routes take.

For instance, I can see Pogacar winning this year's tour as it fits his talents, just as last year's fit Bernal's.

I hope for a return to some equilibrium in ITT to MTF in GTs. If so Remco will rule.

However, I am happiest that a 20, 21 and 22 year old can (again) be mentioned as favorites in pro cycling. I take this as extremely good news on many levels.

What a prediction!

Let them play it out. The hype is getting overboard. You’d think Bauke Mollema was young again.

For Pogacar it’s deserved, but Quick Step isn’t going to rip up any GT playbook. That’s funny. They are so bad in the mountains he’ll be isolated and have no one to do anything. Imagine Bernal and Pogacar attacking Remco. He’d be easy right now because he has no one to bring them back. Throw in young climbers like Mas and Kuss attacking him and he won’t make it to week 2.

You were almost making some sense until your last sentence. Enric Mas is not truly elite in any area and Kuss is far too inconsistent at the moment to be a GC threat.

Pogacar was isolated 90% of the time in the mountains this year but coped. I don’t see why Remco couldn’t cope similarly.

Reactions: Sandisfan
let's see what kind of route is presented for next year.

If it is more of a traditional route with 2 very long ITTs, Evenepoel should win it in his sleep.

If it is another high altitude fest, then Bernal should win in his sleep

Something like this year, could be a real battle between Evenepoel and Pogacar

I don’t think there’s any scenario in which anyone beats Pogacar “in their sleep.” Pogacar dominated every part of that TT and only showed weakness on one stage, when he lost all of 30 seconds on stunt climb that is unlike any other. You out this years Pogacar in last years Tour and he wins easily IMO. Same with this years Roglic + TJV

I don’t think there’s any scenario in which anyone beats Pogacar “in their sleep.” Pogacar dominated every part of that TT and only showed weakness on one stage, when he lost all of 30 seconds on stunt climb that is unlike any other. You out this years Pogacar in last years Tour and he wins easily IMO. Same with this years Roglic + TJV
It's minor but Pogacar really did seem struggle on the gravel section in stage 18 and Roglic gapped him without even trying.
In hindsight Jumbo could have put either WvA oder Big T up the road and put quite some time into him imo.

I'm talking a tour with real TTs again. Let's see him contend against Evenepoel with 2 55km TTs

• Wow

They did not have a climber's team in this Tour, but they have Bagioli and Almeida, who, depending on their development, could be very, very good helpers in the mountains.

for next year

EiT5A31WkAUCeR9

Wow, as of today this is no contest. Bernal needs to regroup and assess what went wrong I suspect he will struggle on routes that don't include plenty of 2,000+ metre stages. Evenepoel needs to finish a Grand Tour first. On paper he should be good but too many unanswered questions.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS