• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bernal vs. Pogacar vs. Evenepoel

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I see the Giro and Tour both had weak fields again when it suits the narrative and undoubtedly when Roglic or anyone else really wins the Vuelta it will also be against a suitably weak field.

Can't speak for Vuelta just yet but considering the current Bahrain form. Giro 2021 didn't live up to its full potential. As for the Tour 2021 potential. It's just ridiculous what we got instead of that.

Still weak filed is not an appropriate term. I would say for both to be mid field ones and a lot of wasted potential involved.

In GTs he has done 2 and finished 46th and 2nd. How does that show consistency?
I think consistency shows in delivering in races you aim for. He either won a stage or was up in GC in every stage race he did this year apart from the Dauphine.

I think it's a bit funny to use a guys first GT where he rode as a pure domestique as some evidence of inconsistency. We'll simply see in future GTs. But his first Tour was nothing if not super consistent.

You all make good points without addressing the issue. How has he shown consistency in GT's? That's what I'm discussing.
Do I think he will, absolutely, he has all the tools apparently.
Has he shown it? No, anyone who argues otherwise clearly doesn't know what consistency means.

You all make good points without addressing the issue. How has he shown consistency in GT's? That's what I'm discussing.
Do I think he will, absolutely, he has all the tools apparently.
Has he shown it? No, anyone who argues otherwise clearly doesn't know what consistency means.

Well for start he has finished second on Tour beating all the rest bar Pogačar. It's not like it was given to him. He had to do it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well for start he has finished second on Tour beating all the rest bar Pogačar. It's not like it was given to him. He had to do it.
I don't want to sound rude but do you actually know what consistently means?
He hasn't done it consistently across GTs, I don't doubt he will, but he may not, there have been enough one hit wonders to know it may not happen for him again.

• Wow
I don't want to sound rude but do you actually know what consistently means?
He hasn't done it consistently across GTs, I don't doubt he will, but he may not, there have been enough one hit wonders to know it may not happen for him again.

It just doesn't work like that. You can't fake consistency on a GT such as the Tour. You either have it or you don't. And i said earlier that Vingegaard proved, to me, he has it on other races.

And he can TT.

Can't speak for Vuelta just yet but considering the current Bahrain form. Giro 2021 didn't live up to its full potential. As for the Tour 2021 potential. It's just ridiculous what we got instead of that.

Still weak filed is not an appropriate term. I would say for both to be mid field ones and a lot of wasted potential involved.

Right now we have Pogacar and Roglic who stand out, a tier below that Bernal (if Vingegard can at least replicate what he has shown at the tdf I could see him on the same level) and then a larger group of GC riders who are of very similar potential so that nobody stands out- well, Carapaz might just a bit.

So unless all of those 3 (4) show up (and finish) at the same GT in top shape I dont think it well seem like we really have gotten a strong GC field, as the first rider below any of those guys will always be a one out of that generic and little exciting group.

@geisterhome

Next year likely Roglič, Pogačar and Bernal are all doing the Tour.

I hope they will all be at their best. Chances are that for least one of those riders smth goes wrong at one point.

Would be interested how often such quest for a high placing in a GT GC actually works out for a rider. I mean from getting the preparation right, starting the race in top shape until finishing it while being high up in the GC. Lots of things can go wrong at any point.

Looking the the last Giro, Pinot didnt even manage to start, Landa and Buchmann crashed out, Evenepol faded quickly, Joao Almeida, George Bennett, Danial Martin didnt have an optimal race, Ciccone crashed late,Jay Hindley wasnt in shape, Nibali crashed before. For the Tour we all remember what happened to Roglic and Garraint Thomas, MALand Woods crashed, Gaudu and Uran had a bad day, Quintana and Tao never found their form, the list goes on...

• Wow
Right now we have Pogacar and Roglic who stand out, a tier below that Bernal (if Vingegard can at least replicate what he has shown at the tdf I could see him on the same level) and then a larger group of GC riders who are of very similar potential so that nobody stands out- well, Carapaz might just a bit.

So unless all of those 3 (4) show up (and finish) at the same GT in top shape I dont think it well seem like we really have gotten a strong GC field, as the first rider below any of those guys will always be a one out of that generic and little exciting group.
I agree with this assessment of talent. Only the 2 Slovenians are the complete and consistent GC package right now. Bernal's back is still a question mark to me. Dumoulin pre injury was also on Roglic's level, at least.

Too early to say about Vingegaard.

But you can only compete against the field you have, and there are different factors that can make a race hard or easier. We just can't list a bunch of names or cite margins of victory and declare that the field was weak or strong. Sure, this Vuelta was a relatively easy win for Roglic, but the start list was "strong." A lot of things transpired in some crucial moments, and voilà, we have a "weak" field...

Was the 2020 Vuelta a strong or weak field? I thought it was a strong field with some very motivated riders, and Roglic rode a helluva race. But you could certainly argue otherwise, because so many GC riders are inconsistent. For example, what is Landa's true level? We just don't know.

It's very hard to rate the GT field below Roglic and Pogacar right now tbh. Lot of inconsistency, crashing out, etc

Bernal is probably up with those 2 climbing wise on his day but other than that I dunno. I think the gap between Roglic-Pogacar and the 3rd best rider could easily be bigger than the gap between the 3rd best GT rider and the 10th best GT rider.

Currently I would just leave Evenepoel unranked as a GT rider cause there's insufficient information.