• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
CXqiDjfWsAAHOhx.jpg

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
And I'd say Movistar takes the price for worst, with the travesty they've given Valverde for next year...

the business movistar are a bit funny about having too much of the color red on their jerseys because their #1 competitor's color is red...

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
hey i agree movistar have done bad national jerseys for a long time but i have also worked for that team on staff and it is a fact that the place the money comes from are very very sensitive about the designs. this is just how they are, in their dreams the team would have no national champion jerseys.

Caisse had awesome champions' kits... except when Valverde had it. Even Brard's, which was a bit of an eyesore compared to the classic Purito/Rubinho/Guti one. The carbon pattern and large tricolors just went really well.

The best Movistar-era ones have been Rui Costa's and Alex Dowsett's time trial jerseys. Unless you count Costa's brief period in the rainbow stripes there, but that's only because the rules won't let them screw it up too badly.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
They need to quit holding the Spanish championships in a constant hammerlock if they aren't going to do a decent job of the jersey. I get that winning it is a big deal, and I get that the sponsor might not want the colors on the jersey, but it's a bit much when the same team wins year after year because of massively superior numbers (and good talent too) - and then doesn't show the championship properly. Just once in a while, let somebody else have a chance. Or, you know, let one of the Basques on the team win. At least then it makes sense why the jersey is so muted.

Ah well, sports and sponsors. At least they're funding a team.

Re:

BalearicBeats said:
Is Van Den Broecks TT jersey at Katusha as ugly as Haller's jersey? Or do we not have any pictures yet?
No pics as yet. Apparently there's a rumour getting around that if you mess up the Belgian Champs jersey too badly Merckx, De Vlaeminck and Museeuw make a midnight house call armed with various sharp implements ;)

I actually really don't like those Rapha faux-national jerseys they do as a pointless marketing exercise for Sky (what purpose do they fulfil other than show, anyway, since they'll probably redesign it if one of their Spanish contingent win the nationals anyway, and they designed some for some countries they don't even have riders from? "oh, well in theory if we could win a national jersey it might look something vaguely like this... look how cool our designs are!"), but saying that it's an improvement over Valverde's jersey is damning it with faint praise. Stevie Wonder could design a better Spanish champions' jersey than the current Movistar one, holding red and yellow crayons in his mouth and shaking a picture of a cycling jersey in front of him.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
BalearicBeats said:
Is Van Den Broecks TT jersey at Katusha as ugly as Haller's jersey? Or do we not have any pictures yet?
No pics as yet. Apparently there's a rumour getting around that if you mess up the Belgian Champs jersey too badly Merckx, De Vlaeminck and Museeuw make a midnight house call armed with various sharp implements ;)
I don't know if there are also as strict rules for the TT jersey as there (luckily) are for the RR one!

I guess it's so the design matches the jersey Cycling Australia give the winner on the podium like below. Some governing bodies seem more relaxed than others in allowing pro teams to alter the design. Australia are very consistent. n fact most are pretty strict, but there are exceptions like Spain where you can go from one extreme to the other year on year.
unspecified.jpg

TRENDING THREADS