• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best attack/ride you've ever seen?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
i allways found it fascinating how good Rujano where climbing there...

His team manager credits himself, saying "I think - modestly - that I'm a good psychologist". Sounds a bit wind-tunnely, but this is not the place. The guy clearly has talent but has used it very badly. I guess he just managed to get his head clear and ignore his legs for a bit.

Very low pressure situation for a climber too - never had to think about tempo or anything, or needing to attack Contador to gain time, and presumably knew a big attack from Contador would finish him, so never had to think about leaving something left to defend with. Just a good ride in the right conditions, I suppose.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Contador - Verbier
Contador - Etna
Contador - Telegraph/Galibier this year
The Look in 2001 was spectacular
Cancellara - Roubiax/Ronde last year
Pantani - Les Deux Alpe 1997.

Best though - Landis has to be one of the most incredible days of bike racing I've ever watched

Yes I know that chances are these were all doped but we are looking at the spectacle.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sastre of course. Both awesomeness and effectiveness were in that. There was an incredible effectiveness for our time. Plus a brilliant 30km solo straight with attack at 3km from the top by Di Luca on Tre Croci-Tre Cime di Lavaredo. And Armstrong, Hautacam'00, just a lobotomy, cutting the field with a pure strength.

Zoncolan said:
Nobody mentioned Arroyo flying down Mortirolo at 2010 Giro?

That was phenomenal. Cadel Evans may have been on a bad day, but that guy is a good descender. Arroyo made him look like an idiot. Unlike Savoldelli in 2005, however, the story didn't have a happy ending, which I guess makes people a bit more hesitant to mention it, but you're right, it belongs there.

Thinking of rides without a win at the end, Kenny van Hummel's solo to beat the time limit to Bourg Saint-Maurice in 2009 was pretty superb.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Even if you hate him, Armstrong's attack out of the break to win and celebrate Casartelli in the '95 Tour was pretty impressive.

Another favorite is Tafi launching as soon as the break was caught to go on and win Roubaix in '99. I think he still had about 40km to go. That was another podium sweep for Mapei, too.

Libertine Seguros said:
That was phenomenal. Cadel Evans may have been on a bad day, but that guy is a good descender. Arroyo made him look like an idiot. Unlike Savoldelli in 2005, however, the story didn't have a happy ending, which I guess makes people a bit more hesitant to mention it, but you're right, it belongs there.

Thinking of rides without a win at the end, Kenny van Hummel's solo to beat the time limit to Bourg Saint-Maurice in 2009 was pretty superb.

I was obviously strongly for Arroyo but i feel that if he had not lost the pink jersey by Aprica, Liqui would have crushed him on Gavia. And he would have had to keep his gap at over a minute even then because Basso was always going to take time from him in the tt too.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I was obviously strongly for Arroyo but i feel that if he had not lost the pink jersey by Aprica, Liqui would have crushed him on Gavia. And he would have had to keep his gap at over a minute even then because Basso was always going to take time from him in the tt too.

I don't think so. If Arroyo's group had caught Basso then, Arroyito would have won the Giro as Gavia is not so hard like Mortirolo and there's a long long decend after that. :p It could have been sort of Savoldelli-Simoni, 05.

The Hitch said:

still arroyo was a nutter.after he almost killed himself on that descent,which was absolutely terrifying (i remember cadel almost crash at huge speed) he didn't want to chase for another two kilometers.the trio was at 15 seconds.it was a mistake by arroyo no doubt but he's forgiven.

also it's fascinating stuff to see riders which you'll never thing about pushing their limits so hard after they got time in the breakaways.and how well they go after that,showing how important is the mental,motivational aspect in pro cycling,guys like kivilev,simon,pereiro sio,dessel,arroyo,voeckler.

and let's stay on-topic:

riis smoking hautacam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og76z4kGMQU

il pirata setting the 36'40'' record for alpe.behind,big mig makes riis and zulle suffer.10 guys storming alpe d'huez below 40 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA8miJgU8l4