• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Climber All Things Being Equal

In modern cycling -years AE as in After Eddy, 1964 when he won the World's Amateur Championship and became the God Of Cycling-, on an even playing field (no doctors or same doctors), who do you think is the best climber of them all? Why? How much did doping impact their performance, in your estimation? Even better, rank them...

Eddy
Lucien
Bernard
Greg
Lucho
Claudio
Marco
Lance
Nairo
Other

Including Lance for irony?

Hampsten should get consideration, at least we have an idea of what kind of climber he is without the gear. Moncoutie on the same basis.

ETA: just saw the "same doctors" part so yeah on that basis fair enough to include lance. Was only thinking of the other kind of level playing field when I replied. Time to get some sleep apparently.

whittashau said:
Care to elaborate? Was he some type of physical freak, or is this a joke?

Landis claims he won WT-level stage race clean in a very dirty era. That would put him about Edwig Van Hooydonck level of awesome in a clean peloton. Sorry, I don't remember the event.

Is it true? Maybe. Clean-ish? Likely. Dredge up a Landis thread if you want to get into it again.

Lots of great climbers left off that list. hfer07, maybe give the OP a break and put a list up?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bahamontes? Wasn't he eating ice cream on top of the mountains while waiting for someone just not to go downhill alone?

federico-bahamontes-tour-de-france_ph.jpg

jens_attacks said:
modern cycling for me is after bernard tapie
we'll never know but just based on my feeling/instinct

pantani
quintana
lucho herrera
heras
contador
perico delgado
rasmussen

LOL

Quintana? Contador? Pantani? :D

Everything special with Pantani came in a jar of pills.

And stop hyping Quintana. He has had one good Tour and other than that, just a nice Giro without any real climbers to fight with.

And Contador? The guys who was on the Armstrong program back in -07 and still got his *** kicked by Rasmussen?

Tonton said:
In modern cycling -years AE as in After Eddy, 1964 when he won the World's Amateur Championship and became the God Of Cycling-, on an even playing field (no doctors or same doctors), who do you think is the best climber of them all? Why? How much did doping impact their performance, in your estimation? Even better, rank them...

Eddy
Lucien
Bernard
Greg
Lucho
Claudio
Marco
Lance
Nairo
Other

No Contador or Heras or Basso?

charly gaul at his best and gino bartali superior to the eagle imo

honourable mention to rene pottier and his sick raids

walkman, of course i might be wrong that's why i said "my feeling". for me, marco pantani is the greatest climber of all times. i don't know from where do you know that alberto was on lance's program btw. of course he was on jet fuel but the guy is just class, superb climber, superb style. and i got michael rasmussen on my list too. the angel of the mountains:

28082-lsernes-hilsen-til-michael-du-er-vinderen--.jpg

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd say Contador showed how much better he is than Lance. Contador beat Lance without the help of a team. As for the whole list the drugs cloud everything so much....agreed the Chicken was really good.

Energy Starr said:
I'd say Contador showed how much better he is than Lance. Contador beat Lance without the help of a team. As for the whole list the drugs cloud everything so much....agreed the Chicken was really good.

From what is understood about Chicken, his entire career was the classic "zero to hero on dope." Off his doping cycle, the guy had no results. On cycle, look out! Landis would be far superior.

You may recall his TdF run with Leinders preparing him. The story somewhere is even Lienders was trying to slow Chicken down on the doping. Zorzoli makes a guest appearance clearing the way in the same story.

DirtyWorks said:
Landis claims he won WT-level stage race clean in a very dirty era. That would put him about Edwig Van Hooydonck level of awesome in a clean peloton. Sorry, I don't remember the event.

Is it true? Maybe. Clean-ish? Likely. Dredge up a Landis thread if you want to get into it again.

Lots of great climbers left off that list. hfer07, maybe give the OP a break and put a list up?

2nd in the 2002 Dauphine.

Two words come to mind regarding his claim that he was clean then.

Yeah right.

DirtyWorks said:
From what is understood about Chicken, his entire career was the classic "zero to hero on dope." Off his doping cycle, the guy had no results. On cycle, look out! Landis would be far superior.

What is understood about him is that tests always showed he had great physical talent. This plus dedication, intelligence, work ethic and singlemindedness means he would always be at the top. That he don't have results from Paris-Nice (if something like that is what is meant) or whatever means nothing.

TRENDING THREADS