• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best descender in the world

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best descender

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
on3m@n@rmy said:
There was a downhill TT in some race this year, I just can't remember which one. I only remember seeing the map of it, and it was pretty much just a drag race. Not much turning, although there were a few turns. But a more technical downhill would be interesting, maybe in place of a prologue but long enough to create some small time gaps.

For this poll though, I said other (Il Falco, or Jalabert), but I wanted to also go with Samu.

Guess you mean the prologue in the USA pro cycling challenge

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't realize Salvodelli was still racing. If so then he wins. Otherwise I thought two or three TDFs ago there was an informal poll talked about by the DSs where Thor then Cancellara were rated as the best descenders.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
I ma dìs dài, i ma dìs brao, i ma dìs bèl
I ma dìs Falco Saoldèl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8VsVes16k

What dialect is that song in by the way? Doesn't sound like normal Italian.

ma dìs dài, i ma dìs brao, i ma dìs bèl
I ma dìs Falco Saoldèl!

Incö Ruèta l’è ‘nfina piö bèl
Stasira al rìa Paolo Saoldèl
Töta la sét la cor a ‘ndà de fò
La ensìt ol gìr, a ‘lla ensìt lü, ‘lla ensìt amò!

Falco Saoldèl, Falco Saoldèl
Al vé zo a ciot dal Murtiröl o dal Tonal
Falco Saoldèl, gnac a sunàga
Al vé zo a ciot e töcc chi oter i la fa ‘n braga

I ma dìs Falco Saoldèl!

Al turna ‘n mént ol nom del Marinù *
Sura du röde l’era ü grànt po’ a lü
Ma ché a Ruèta ol rösa l’è töt tò
To é ensìt ol gìr, to lé ensìt tè, To é ensìt amò!

E mé de bici ga na so mìa tàt
Fo sènto méter pò ‘l ma manca ‘l fiàt
Al gìr d’Italia al vèns mìa Damiano Preda
‘l ga öl la crapa, i gambe e ‘l cör c’al rèda

E certa zét ‘ndo ìela du agn fa
A ‘ndà sö e zo ‘nda éta l’è malfà
I disìa Simoni o Cunego, però
O ensìt ol gir, a ‘llo ensìt mé, ‘lo ensìt amò!!!

I ma dìs Falco Saoldèl

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't pick out the only rider. Samuel Sanchez is very strong on technically difficult decents with narrow road and numerous sharp turns. Though we don't have to forget his main victories on Vuelta were reached when he wasn't a direct threat for top-3 or top-5 guys plus he knew those roads very well. However, there're enough riders, who can do a better powerful downhill than him. The only thing I don't share is an overall delight from Nibali's abilities.

airstream said:
I can't pick out the only rider. Samuel Sanchez is very strong on technically difficult decents with narrow road and sharp turns. Though we don't have to forget his main victories on Vuelta were reached when he wasn't a direct threat for top-3 or top-5 guys plus he knew those roads very well. However, there're enough riders, who can do a better powerful downhill than him. The only thing I don't share is an overall delight from Nibali's abilities.

Does Andy wear lipstick in your profile picture? It sure looks like he does...

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
technical descending - Samu
powerful descending - Hushovd
overall descending - Cancellara
an example of what does descending skills really cost when a random madman doesn't want to give up a race - Arroyo

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Kvinto said:
an example of what does descending skills really cost when a random madman doesn't want to give up a race - Arroyo
It's included in technical one. He had advanced skills before that stage undoubtedly. Arroyo just found an occasion to prove himself in his best.

LaFlorecita said:
Does Andy wear lipstick in your profile picture? It sure looks like he does...
Too much of cycling in your post. :p

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
It's included in technical one. He had advanced skills before that stage undoubtedly. Arroyo just found an occasion to prove himself in his best.

i guess he totally surpassed his expected descending skills :p

Sagan, Nibali, Samu, Thor and Cancellara shall all square off next year at the TDF. ( Thor for stages, Cancellara to guide each Shleck Andy is worse than Frank, Sagan to vs Thor for stages and Samu to on the replica of this year's stage 13 go after them to gain any time he has lost by crashing/ other things, Nibali to accompany him)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
jose adrian bonilla this week showed in higuito again he is of a different world in downhils. like savoldelli. I hope to see him in europe again for his downhils some day but I doubt it