• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best descender in the world

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best descender

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Have to say Contador looked very comfortable descending yesterday- as did EBH.

Trouble is how well someone knows a descent makes a difference, they could have done plenty of recon unlike say Tommy V!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Not voting him as a contender here but I still have a vivid visual memory of Paulo Bettini on an attack in the mountains in what could have been his first Tour appearance (he was an underling for Bartoli at the time I think....)

Anyway, he was followed by camera for almost all of a descent and I remember this one particular corner. He sailed into a fast right hander with his sight blocked by the cliff face on his right (there was a short stone wall on the left of the road over the drop). No way to sight the apex. As he passes what turns out to have been the apex you can see he realises that the corner tightens and then switches into an open left - like a post corner chicane.

the camera motorbike panics and hits the brakes and we see Bettini flying down the road into the distance.

He stayed tucked, threw himself to the right to steepen his turn and then immediately flipped to the left to cut next to the wall with about an inch of clearance at well over 80kph.

I've tried to find that footage again but haven't managed it so far - all I can say is that Phil and Paul were commentating and that Paul was impressed and Phil didn't notice... (so it could be any stage on any year really)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The moto riders had a briefing after stage 13 and they said they have never seen someone descend as fast as Gilbert. So he definitely deserves to be up there in the poll :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The descend of the Giro di Lombardia before the final hill will be interesting by the way. Hope it doesn't rain this year, so we can see some wicked descending.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
In a poll conducted amongst the riders Cancellara and Hushovd came out on top (not sure which order), nobody else was even close, so it has to be between these two

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bumeington said:
In a poll conducted amongst the riders Cancellara and Hushovd came out on top (not sure which order), nobody else was even close, so it has to be between these two

Hushovd came first by a landslide.

Interestingly, Moncoutié came last closely followed by F. Schleck

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried to find the article in L'équipe, but faild. Did a general google and found this in a ticker from the tour page:

Survey On Best & Worst Descenders

L’Equipe conducted a survey yesterday asking directeurs sportif to nominate the three best and worst descenders in pro cycling. The rider who received the most votes for “best” is Thor Hushovd (CTT) – nominated by 10 teams: Cervelo, Silence-Lotto, Saxo Bank, Rabobank, FDJ, Liquigas, BBox, Quickstep, Milram and Skil-Shimano. Second in the “best” group are Samuel Sanchez (who is not at the Tour) and Fabian Cancellara who both received six votes. While two stage winners this year – Luis Leon Sanchez and Heinrich Haussler – both received four votes.
In the “worst descenders” category, David Moncoutie (COF) stands high above the others with 12 votes. The next “worst” is Frank Schleck (SAX) with seven votes.

I just realized that CN posters are either 90's onwards followers of cycling-or there is a common lack of knowledge of the 80's at all.....:mad:

Bernard Hinault has been called by the entire cycling media-and nonetheless his very own collegues-such Kelly, Delgado, Herrera, Lemond, etc. "the best descender of his generation"

just to let you know;)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
by "armstrong" i hope you mean kristen armstrong :D

there are many great vids on youtube of paolo savodelli descending. here is one from the 2005 giro. on one tight corner, they even show side by side footage comparing him to another rider (simoni?) and it is a night and day difference.

saganftw said:
how about having downhill TT in Tour? :D

The Hitch said:
Great idea. Always wanted such a thing.

There was a downhill TT in some race this year, I just can't remember which one. I only remember seeing the map of it, and it was pretty much just a drag race. Not much turning, although there were a few turns. But a more technical downhill would be interesting, maybe in place of a prologue but long enough to create some small time gaps.

For this poll though, I said other (Il Falco, or Jalabert), but I wanted to also go with Samu.

TRENDING THREADS