• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

best descender

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

best descender

• popovych

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Arredondo said:
Nibbles is not a good technical descender.
No that's just not true. Sure he takes a lot of risks (both downhill and uphill ;) ) but he is technically skilled (he's always been).
Anyway the only time he crashed while attacking was this year at the Giro. All the other crashes I recall were while he was chilling out.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
No that's just not true. Sure he takes a lot of risks (both downhill and uphill ;) ) but he is technically skilled (he's always been).
Anyway the only time he crashed while attacking was this year at the Giro. All the other crashes I recall were while he was chilling out.

I would also add that taking risks is a major part of what makes one a good descender.

Eshnar said:

He is skilled yes, but not one the best, purely technically speaking (still way better than the average cyclist ofc). What makes him so outstanding is his willingness to take risks.

I disagree. When I see him go all out in a descend, what I see 99% of the time is a guy who's in total control of the situation. I remember the sterrato descend in the 2011 Giro, with Nibali getting ahead effortlessly while Weening, being gapped more and more by him, looked like he was going to crash in every corner.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
I would also add that taking risks is a major part of what makes one a good descender.

I'm not saying he isn't a good descender, because the most important thing is just to go down as fast as possible. But when i see him taking corners, i don't see someone in the tradition of Savoldelli or a good Sammy Sanchez in a technical way.

roundabout said:
I thought it was the opposite. Nibali looked to be skidding all over the place on the gravel.

But maybe my memory is playing tricks

That's the thing, he was skidding but in total control of the situation, always at the limit but never looking like he was going over it.

Those few minutes/corners of descending were pure art.

And just like Hrotha said, behind him everyone else was all over the place trying to follow

Arredondo said:
I'm not saying he isn't a good descender, because the most important thing is just to go down as fast as possible. But when i see him taking corners, i don't see someone in the tradition of Savoldelli or a good Sammy Sanchez in a technical way.
He's no Savoldelli (no one is) but he's at least as good as Sanchez for sure.
edit: in stage 16 at the Giro he caught Sanchez (who had a gap of like 10 secs) in three bends, all of this wearing the Maglia Rosa (hence not taking too many risks to chase someone who was never gonna be a problem for him)

Bushman said:
I don't get this. How can riders complain that the organizers are putting in twisty descents? They are they so the skillful and brave riders can exploit the terrain. If you feel like it's too dangerous, you just go slowly. It's that simple really.

There's a difference between a TT and a normal race in that all GC riders will be under serious pressure to take risks on the downhill. They can't go down with a slower paced group and then pace their way back. Descending slowly is pure time loss. Which is no doubt entertaining but isn't a good idea when it means that more people will inevitably be pushing it to the limit while going at extremely high speeds.

Roche was the winner on that day, so clearly a downhill TT was to his advantage. Yet he was extremely angry about the risks the stage entailed. It wasn't like it was a Pinot equivalent having a moan about a stage that plays to his weaknesses.

Zinoviev Letter said:
There's a difference between a TT and a normal race in that all GC riders will be under serious pressure to take risks on the downhill. They can't go down with a slower paced group and then pace their way back. Descending slowly is pure time loss. Which is no doubt entertaining but isn't a good idea when it means that more people will inevitably be pushing it to the limit while going at extremely high speeds.

Roche was the winner on that day, so clearly a downhill TT was to his advantage. Yet he was extremely angry about the risks the stage entailed. It wasn't like it was a Pinot equivalent having a moan about a stage that plays to his weaknesses.

Yes of course I know he didn't complain because he is a whiner, and maybe it sounded a bit harsh from me. I just can't see anything wrong with it. If you feel uncomfortable you go slower, in that way it will reward the risk takers. Just like big mountain stages reward the small climbers.

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure Nibali is objectively the best but I voted him anyway for his cojones (and willingness to get up and jump straight back in when it goes wrong rather than crying).