• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
I honestly don't get what people see in GoT. It's really crappy. Borderline disgusting if you ask me. And then I hear people say it's the perfect metaphor/account of real life. :eek:
Yeah well I agree. Then there is the but banging that HBO decides to throw in. Not in the books then wtf?

GoT is not a good book series either in my opinon.

Breaking bad much better ...in my opinion. That is basically some life in a bubble. At least in Merikah.

For those who have finished "Breaking Bad" I urge you to get on board with "Better Call Saul" - have just finished season 2 of it and it's a really great watch, a storyline which burns slowly and characters with real depth - plus for those who have seen BB there's a lot of easter eggs in there to find.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Made in Chelsea . Spencer and the gang are incredible and the in' and outs of their love life's is sensational. Incredible writing.

Lol I watched a lot of British TV for a few months and always saw the ads for "Brand new Made in Chelsea" but never watched it. It always looked to me like the whole show is just one long make-up commercial because everyone on there just looks perfectly made up all the time - and the show is sponsored by the make-up company Rimmel :D

Re:

leftover pie said:
For those who have finished "Breaking Bad" I urge you to get on board with "Better Call Saul" - have just finished season 2 of it and it's a really great watch, a storyline which burns slowly and characters with real depth - plus for those who have seen BB there's a lot of easter eggs in there to find.

I am watching Season One and enjoying it. Good to see the characters from Breaking Bad again like Mike and the Mexicans. Of course Saul is a great character.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:

I am watching Season One and enjoying it. Good to see the characters from Breaking Bad again like Mike and the Mexicans. Of course Saul is a great character.

Half way through season 2 and liking it more and more as it moves along......will remain in non-spoiler mode for those who wish to watch - ;)

Mash is probably the best I'd argue. At the moment, I'm thoroughly enjoying and laughing out aloud (always a good sign!) at The Big Bang Theory.

Mrs F was always watching it but I didn't pay it any attention, then I saw it was on Netflix so I gave it a try and 8 episodes in I'm hooked:)

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

JackRabbitSlims said:
movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:

Half way through season 2 and liking it more and more as it moves along......will remain in non-spoiler mode for those who wish to watch - ;)

I've really enjoyed it. Stunning writing, acting and cinematography.

Re:

BigMac said:
I honestly don't get what people see in GoT. It's really crappy. Borderline disgusting if you ask me. And then I hear people say it's the perfect metaphor/account of real life. :eek:

You need to read more history. Remove the fantasy element and the behavior of the kings and queens is no worse that real life maybe even better in some cases ! I don't see anything disgusting about it but if you are the squeamish type I can understand why you would not like it. The fact that any of the characters or most of them could be bumped off at any time is what makes people watch it I think not to mention plenty of action scenes, dragons, zombies, attractive women and devious politics. In some ways I think it has improved on the books. Rome was a good series if you are interested in Roman history but it was also fairly explicit.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm watching 11.22.63 at the moment with James Franco and Chris Cooper. First feature length episode was good but I have last Sunday's second one recorded to catch up on.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

kwikki said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:

I've really enjoyed it. Stunning writing, acting and cinematography.

Eagerly watched the last episode of s02 yesterday, agree with all of the above. An utterly enjoyable series with great characters.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

gooner said:
I'm watching 11.22.63 at the moment with James Franco and Chris Cooper. First feature length episode was good but I have last Sunday's second one recorded to catch up on.

Intend to start tomorrow (too much footy today,) have heard good things.

movingtarget said:
BigMac said:

You need to read more history. Remove the fantasy element and the behavior of the kings and queens is no worse that real life maybe even better in some cases ! I don't see anything disgusting about it but if you are the squeamish type I can understand why you would not like it. The fact that any of the characters or most of them could be bumped off at any time is what makes people watch it I think not to mention plenty of action scenes, dragons, zombies, attractive women and devious politics. In some ways I think it has improved on the books. Rome was a good series if you are interested in Roman history but it was also fairly explicit.

My History is quite good. The amounts of gore, violence and cruelty shown are nowhere near similar to what actually happened across Europe or before in history. There were wars, some Kings were very opressive and repressive, but the amount of bloodshed in GoT is downright moronic and pointless. It has no plot value whatsoever, it really is just there to satisfy the inner sadist in people. GoT not only depicts violence, it glorifies it - it cannot go 5 episodes without a ceremonial beheading done by characters the series implicitly places on the most moral side of the story. Besides that, what annoys me the most is the total hopelesness around it. It's always the same coming victorious, the ''good guys'' or those people most empathize with are the ones who suffer the most and who have a constant aura of despair around them. The show (or the books) tried too hard not to be cliché it's become way too bleak. This show is the medieval stereotype taken to the extreme, there's not one tiny bit of happiness or good fortune shown. What you call attractive women I call unnecessary sex scenes that go on for too long on a tiny cicle. I'm told the books are nowhere near as graphical on this account, but I guess the show had to do it to attract a larger audience. Not to mention the rape. We get it, it happened, but the amount of times it is depicted is just nonsensical. The more I think of it the more I'm certain this series is just sick, sorry. Politics here are just a pretentious add on. The show appears to be intellectually challenging and full of intrigue when in reality it's just an expensive snuff film with an unusual plot.

I don't know about the other books/seasons, but the first season describes exactly what happens in the first book. I was actually surprised that there were really not many differences at all. Everytime I watch a movie/tv show based on a book, there are always many alterations, but GoT is almost an exact copy.

Better call saul is fantastic, I was afraid they wouldn't be able to maintain breaking bad's quality and, fortunately, I was wrong.

movingtarget said:
BigMac said:

Any character can be bumped off at any time? :confused:

With the exception of Jeoffrey they all die at the end of the season. Ned - Episode 9. Robb - episode 9. Catelyn Episode 9. Hound - episode 10. Martell episode 9. Shae Episode 10. Tywin episode 10. Stannis Episode 10. John Snow episode 10. Ygritte Episode 9 etc.

And that is an example of how GOT is dumbed down from the books for a mass audience. It basically works similar to wrestling. They spend 8 episodes building characters up in order to have a big showdown in the ppv (penutlimate episode) then tie the loose ends in the final episode to build for the next series. Like in professional wrestling, they spend the earlier episodes throwing loads of minor characters at the lead characters so that the lead characters can "own" them, thereby building reputation for themselves. I don't think I've seen a single scene in the series yet in which the extras serve any other purpose than just to be humiliated by the main characters like Tywin, Arya etc in order to create a "OMG, x is so awessome" reaction.

The fact that all the actors are super models, which you refference is another example of this. Just taking a book and making it hollywood because the masses are more likely to watch if the guys/ girls are "hot" so lets just make all the characters hot.

BigMac said:
My History is quite good. The amounts of gore, violence and cruelty shown are nowhere near similar to what actually happened across Europe or before in history. There were wars, some Kings were very opressive and repressive, but the amount of bloodshed in GoT is downright moronic and pointless. It has no plot value whatsoever, it really is just there to satisfy the inner sadist in people. GoT not only depicts violence, it glorifies it - it cannot go 5 episodes without a ceremonial beheading done by characters the series implicitly places on the most moral side of the story. Besides that, what annoys me the most is the total hopelesness around it. It's always the same coming victorious, the ''good guys'' or those people most empathize with are the ones who suffer the most and who have a constant aura of despair around them. The show (or the books) tried too hard not to be cliché it's become way too bleak. This show is the medieval stereotype taken to the extreme, there's not one tiny bit of happiness or good fortune shown. What you call attractive women I call unnecessary sex scenes that go on for too long on a tiny cicle. I'm told the books are nowhere near as graphical on this account, but I guess the show had to do it to attract a larger audience. Not to mention the rape. We get it, it happened, but the amount of times it is depicted is just nonsensical. The more I think of it the more I'm certain this series is just sick, sorry. Politics here are just a pretentious add on. The show appears to be intellectually challenging and full of intrigue when in reality it's just an expensive snuff film with an unusual plot.

Oh BigMac! I don't have time to expand but this is so true. So nice to read. :)

Hollywood has just demonized the Middle Ages for very long, think of The Name of the Rose. As though current leaders were any better.

I'd love to see the film "Les filles du Moyen-Age". Good French film about the period, another side of the story.

The Hitch said:
movingtarget said:
BigMac said:

Any character can be bumped off at any time? :confused:

With the exception of Jeoffrey they all die at the end of the season. Ned - Episode 9. Robb - episode 9. Catelyn Episode 9. Hound - episode 10. Martell episode 9. Shae Episode 10. Tywin episode 10. Stannis Episode 10. John Snow episode 10. Ygritte Episode 9 etc.

And that is an example of how GOT is dumbed down from the books for a mass audience. It basically works similar to wrestling. They spend 8 episodes building characters up in order to have a big showdown in the ppv (penutlimate episode) then tie the loose ends in the final episode to build for the next series. Like in professional wrestling, they spend the earlier episodes throwing loads of minor characters at the lead characters so that the lead characters can "own" them, thereby building reputation for themselves. I don't think I've seen a single scene in the series yet in which the extras serve any other purpose than just to be humiliated by the main characters like Tywin, Arya etc in order to create a "OMG, x is so awessome" reaction.

The fact that all the actors are super models, which you refference is another example of this. Just taking a book and making it hollywood because the masses are more likely to watch if the guys/ girls are "hot" so lets just make all the characters hot.

Well along with other people I believe that some of the changes where they have not followed the books have been an improvement but I have only read the first three books. I Don't find it so much dumbed down. For example Robb was not featured in the books much compared to the series same with his mother. Rob's wife did not die in the book and so on. As for the looks of the actors well it is what it is and most blockbusters don't feature many average looking people that is the commercial reality of getting financing for movies and TV. Remove Peter Dinklage from the series and I think it would suffer badly along with one or two other actors.

I don't think the violence and death is so bad that it stops me from watching it. Deadwood was also a great series and it never pulled any punches and it was based on fact. If others don't like it that's up to them of course. As for the last rape scene it all happened off screen and it was in character for the rapist himself who is probably the least liked remaining character in the series. Like George RR Martin said rape is a reality and always has been especially in times of war. It disturbs people because it is meant to and it was just one more moment in the series that polarized opinions and lost some viewers for good it seems just like the Blood Wedding. Based on what has been shown on TV over the years I am surprised that the violence and sex scenes in GOT still bother some people so much. If they don't have the stomach for such viewing then why tune in at all if they have read anything about it ? Compared to the average 80's horror movie GOT is hardly a continual catalogue of horrors. The episodes vary quite a lot as far as how graphic they are. The horror is not relentless otherwise they would lose a larger proportion of their audience.

Im not super in to series or movies, but when I decide to try and watch a series I get recommended, it's usually worth it. I usually always feel after getting finished that it definitely was the BEST SERIES EVAH!

1. House of Cards. By a mile. Since I just finished it.
2. Suits
3. Weeds