Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I recently got some new interest in TV series but I guess I rarely my TV anymore (except for cyclocross racing and the classics) and I don't know how I can access them. I can't afford any DVD's, too expansive for me. But I'm really tempted by &#10153 "True Detective", "Longmire" or "Justified", these are the three that interest me most, I've seen some excerpts and liked them.

Hmm well, the problem is some posters on this thread who also like them, so that raises doubt in my mind :D, I guess but to me they seem like a good depiction of the daily life in the American "Heartland", far away from Hollywood satanism. Oh well the problem with True Detective is of course HBO, which means Warner Bros, which means Hollywood but well sometimes Hollywood can deliver some nice surprises, so why not.

I think current series have the potential to make cinema corny, a thing of the past. The problem with cinema has always been temporality, a film typically last for 2 hours, sometimes 3 or 4 but rarely more. This is too short to develop a well-constructed story with dialogues that make sense and with well developped characterization and character evolution.

That's why it's impossible to adapt a good novel into a film without omitting essential parts of it. Adapting short novels or short stories is possible but a classical novel, that's impossible. The temporality of a novel should be sort of 8 hours. A film can never last for 8 hours.

The great French dialogue writer Michel Audiard has always fancied adapting Céline's Journey to the End of the Night into a film but he realized that it was impossible and quickly gave up that project. Then well I've seen Sir David Lean's "Doctor Zhivago" which I loved but afterwards I read Pasternak's book and realized that it was something else...

After all it's no wonder that cinema throughout the years evolved into an "art" of action stories, full of destruction, the fast cutting technique which is unbearable! Film stories for teens, in a way.

With the new concept "Season series" (if I may say so) you have a lot more room for characterization, slow tempo, great presence of well-constructed secondary characters too (very important!). With 8 episodes of let's say 1h each, you have 8 hours of film, which brings us back to the temporality of a novel and a good novel. For all these reasons series have the potential to put cinema to shame and there's hope that some great work can be produced in the future.

I also learned that David Chase (The Sopranos) was a die-hard Balzac fan, like me. So perhaps if these Americans had the ability to do it, they should adapt the Human Comedy in series, why not? :)

For the moment, I'll have to contend with "The Prisoner" as the all-time greatest series, one that I consider a masterpiece. I enjoyed the political message behind it, which was beware of brainwashing and of political correctness. The idea that democracy is flawed. The idea that N°1 was an ape, God's Ape which means Satan (Patrick McGoohan was an Irish Catholic who almost entered the seminary). The idea that liberty should never be dissociated from human dignity ("I am not a number, I am a free man"), etc. A very profound work.

postcard.jpg

Then I also enjoyed "The Persuaders" and "Columbo". To some extent "The Saint" and "Wanted Dead or Alive". But these are minor work. Among the current series, I'll have to contend "Murdoch Mysteries" but well, it's just a classic whodunit detective series.

Mar 16, 2009
Amsterhammer said:
Jesus, more than a year since the last post.

If anyone is not (yet) watching season 2 of Fargo, you are missing a mega treat. According to most critics, the best series on tv now. It's brilliant! There is one more episode to come next Sunday. Jump on it! Below a quick quote from the Boston Globe that nails it. Loads of stunning outdoor drone shots.

"The new season of Fargo shows TV-making at its most impressive, with every single aspect--the writing, the acting, the directing, the cinematography, the music, the set design--spot on and in sync."

Fargo is a joy. it has been picked up for a 3rd season.
My biggest dissapointment was that Wicked City was cancelled after only 3 episodes.

Jun 22, 2009
krebs303 said:
Fargo is a joy. it has been picked up for a 3rd season.
My biggest dissapointment was that Wicked City was cancelled after only 3 episodes.

It is indeed, Krebby. I just got up to date with e09. Wow. The sound track is brilliant too. I loved Locomotive Breath during the killing scenes (not a spoiler, there's loads of killing!).

Sep 10, 2009
Got hooked on The Man In The High Castle for the first 3/4 of the season but then it got weird in the last couple of episodes. Still would recommend it, though.

Jun 22, 2009
Re:

VeloCity said:
Got hooked on The Man In The High Castle for the first 3/4 of the season but then it got weird in the last couple of episodes. Still would recommend it, though.

Am just about to start this weekend. If you haven't watched Fargo, do it. It is effing awesome.

Sep 10, 2009
Re: Re:

Amsterhammer said:
VeloCity said:

Am just about to start this weekend. If you haven't watched Fargo, do it. It is effing awesome.
Tried to get into Fargo but just couldn't for some reason. But if you liked Fargo you might also like Narcos, on Netflix. Bit violent but if you can get past that it's pretty absorbing.

Yes, Homeland, the series inspired by the Israeli series Hatufim about the return home of Israeli war prisoners from Syria and created by the Israeli Gideon Raff, also the co-producer of Homeland. Homeland is massively Islamophobic, describing the Beirut downtown as a hotbed of terrorists and random attacks on foreigners.

Hamrah3.jpg

http://www.executive-magazine.com/buzz/homeland-beirut-lebanon-lawsuit-controversy/5269

For those unacquainted with Beirut, the real Hamra Street is a bustling cosmopolitan artery where days spent shopping and chatting in cafes give way to a nightlife of drinking and cavorting in local bars. A hub of modern city life, it is Beirut’s much smaller version of London’s Tottenham Court Road or New York’s Fifth Avenue.

And now it seems that it deals with the Charlie Hebdo attacks. A real propaganda series ... &#128528

Actually it reminds me there existed a good French series about the Orient in the sixties: "The Desert Crusader" ("Thibaud ou les croisades"). Of course it was rather for kids but I'd rather the current kids have Thibaud as hero than Harry Potter, lol. It was shot in Tunisia and rather portrayed the Turks as the enemy to the Crusaders and not the Arabic beduins. When you think of it, it was quite historical. Relationship Islam & Christianity was much more complex than one think. And the music by Georges Delerue was gorgeous. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEmSS5oyY8

I like Homeland and Fargo. The odd humor in Fargo won't suit everyone. Also enjoyed True Detective and House of Cards. The Knick is quite good and The Leftovers is very weird but kind of compelling. The best Euro series I have seen recently would be Braquo and The Returned.

Jun 22, 2009
Velo - I did Narcos in three days. :p

Have watched Homeland from the beginning, and have had more than enough of Carrie's quivering chin by now. Time to shut it down after five seasons.

Sep 19, 2013
Peaky Blinders anyone? Really looking forward to season3 and those haircuts! Birmingham 100 years ago was a cool place and time, great show.

Aug 16, 2013
I have never watched Breaking Bad, House of Cards or Homeland. I have a strange behavior of not watching tv-shows who are hyped to mythical proportions.

Some really cool tv-series are Luther (great Idris Elba!), the first 5 episodes of the first season of True Detective (end was horrible) and Boardwalk Empire.

And i really want to watch Narcos and The Knick. Somebody who watched the latter? Is it worth to watch?

Apr 2, 2013
Recently been watching the following tv (mainly netflix):

The Bridge – not so much for me but gf really enjoys it
Nashville - I've got hooked on this and waiting for season 4
Empresses in the Palace – wonderful Chinese drama drastically cut for HBO/Netflix but still worth watching
Peaky Blinders – superb drama
Breaking Bad – they’ve had Walt pirouetting over so many sharks that I’m glad to be on season 5 just to see it end
Better call Saul – not watched yet but promises to be more enjoyable than breaking bad
Homeland – gave up, terrible
Luther – I like Elba but he seems to be becoming a parody of himself

Also just watched these two docs on Netflix, if you’re someone who watched Sesame Street as a child (or an adult even) then it’s certainly worth watching to find out about the people behind (underneath or inside) the characters:

I am Big Bird - about the big yellow one
Being Elmo - about the little red one

I *** love Supernatural.

I like the concept
I like the mythology
I like the story
I like the characters
I like the the modern culture references
I like all the in-jokes

I get goosebumps when they play Carry on wayward son at the start of every season finale.

But they should really put an end to it, wrap it up nicely, tying back to all plotholes in 1.5 seasons or so.

Btw, I can't believe I've only found this thread now. I watch a lot of tv series and can binge watch like there's no tomorrow. I discovered GoT in the week before my final exam of the college year, watched 3 seasons in 3 days and naturally had to redo the test.

Watched

Drama
House, absolutely loved it, although sadly it's not how medicine works
GoT, binged the first 3 seasons, then read the books, subsequently wasn't too impressed with seasons 4 and 5. The books are just better. I really hate when they drop interesting stuff from the books to show more nudity on screen
Breaking bad, loved it, apart from Walter jr, who just has to be there for plot's sake and absolutely hated Eternal *** Face.
Most of homeland, although at one point I couldn't stand the main character anymore.
Suits, although that younger guy is sometimes getting a little too smirky.

Sci-Fi
I watched a lot. Supernatural is my absolute favourite. Loved Fringe as well. Other series tend to start with a somewhat interesting concept and then just run out of ideas quickly or get really repititive. For example I initially liked Arrow because there was no super powers in there, and then they get increasingly wtf every season.

Comedy
Don't watch too much, watched Futurama and nothing sticked in my memory. Scrubs was a bit the same.

Slowly running out of TV series to watch. I tend to like the series where theres more focus bigger seasonal plots then just the weekly random episodes. What do you guys recommend?

Scandinivian noir is usually very good, especially The Bridge and The killing for crime/detective, and Borgen for political stuff. Luther is great, Sherlock also but it's still far away from returning. The problem with these BBC ones is that they do like 3 episodes a year at most. They're really good, but you suffer from withdrawal symptoms so bad.

No mention(I don't think) of David Attenborough yet on this thread. All his work is just incredible, and still going very strong well into his eighties.

I'm starting house of cards now, almost fnished the first series and I'm hooked. Recommended.

I did watch the first 2 seasons of House of Cards and loved it. Then season 3 came out and I didn't really like it anymore after the first episode already. Think I've gotten too cynical to view as just entertainment

Re: Re:

Amsterhammer said:
VeloCity said:

I have just finished series 2 of Fargo, it's really quite amazing, absolutely blown away by it.

I'm amazed at how good (some) TV has become.

Campervan man said:
Peaky Blinders anyone? Really looking forward to season3 and those haircuts! Birmingham 100 years ago was a cool place and time, great show.

Love Peaky Blinders, that and Ripper Street were 2 superb programmes made by the BBC which they then dropped due to budget cuts, fortunately Amazon picked them both up and series 2 of both shows were very well made. Looking forward to the 3rd series of both next year!

I'm slowly making my way through Boardwalk Empire which is very enjoyable and I'm almost finished.

The other half watches Chicago Fire and Chicago PD religiously, they are linked and the characters from both shows regularly appear in crossover episodes. They aren't bad to be fair.