• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
movingtarget said:
BigMac said:
I honestly don't get what people see in GoT. It's really crappy. Borderline disgusting if you ask me. And then I hear people say it's the perfect metaphor/account of real life. :eek:

You need to read more history. Remove the fantasy element and the behavior of the kings and queens is no worse that real life maybe even better in some cases ! I don't see anything disgusting about it but if you are the squeamish type I can understand why you would not like it. The fact that any of the characters or most of them could be bumped off at any time is what makes people watch it I think not to mention plenty of action scenes, dragons, zombies, attractive women and devious politics. In some ways I think it has improved on the books. Rome was a good series if you are interested in Roman history but it was also fairly explicit.

Any character can be bumped off at any time? :confused:

With the exception of Jeoffrey they all die at the end of the season. Ned - Episode 9. Robb - episode 9. Catelyn Episode 9. Hound - episode 10. Martell episode 9. Shae Episode 10. Tywin episode 10. Stannis Episode 10. John Snow episode 10. Ygritte Episode 9 etc.

And that is an example of how GOT is dumbed down from the books for a mass audience. It basically works similar to wrestling. They spend 8 episodes building characters up in order to have a big showdown in the ppv (penutlimate episode) then tie the loose ends in the final episode to build for the next series. Like in professional wrestling, they spend the earlier episodes throwing loads of minor characters at the lead characters so that the lead characters can "own" them, thereby building reputation for themselves. I don't think I've seen a single scene in the series yet in which the extras serve any other purpose than just to be humiliated by the main characters like Tywin, Arya etc in order to create a "OMG, x is so awessome" reaction.

The fact that all the actors are super models, which you refference is another example of this. Just taking a book and making it hollywood because the masses are more likely to watch if the guys/ girls are "hot" so lets just make all the characters hot.

Did any of you watch Battlestar galatica remake . That was truly awesome and any character " did get bumped off" It was truly memorising TV . Very political and dark and close relationships put to extreme tests
This was incredible TV.
I think only the incredible Swede /Danish, French shows compete. Nice long scenes to let the tales unfold rather than the quick edit dirge we mostly have to suffer.
I did enjoy the recent Fargo , brilliant stuff as well.
I'm also enjoying the beebs Undercover. Great acting . Sophie Okonedo is just great and I would make her the new Dr Who when PC goes.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I have never watched a single episode of GoT. :eek:

I have, however, watched the Wire, and consider it to be one of the three best multi-season series I have ever watched, the other two being Sopranos and, of course, BrBa.

The best series I have seen since BrBa is season two of Fargo, which I thought was thoroughly excellent in every respect.

ray j willings said:
The Hitch said:
movingtarget said:
BigMac said:
I honestly don't get what people see in GoT. It's really crappy. Borderline disgusting if you ask me. And then I hear people say it's the perfect metaphor/account of real life. :eek:

You need to read more history. Remove the fantasy element and the behavior of the kings and queens is no worse that real life maybe even better in some cases ! I don't see anything disgusting about it but if you are the squeamish type I can understand why you would not like it. The fact that any of the characters or most of them could be bumped off at any time is what makes people watch it I think not to mention plenty of action scenes, dragons, zombies, attractive women and devious politics. In some ways I think it has improved on the books. Rome was a good series if you are interested in Roman history but it was also fairly explicit.

Any character can be bumped off at any time? :confused:

With the exception of Jeoffrey they all die at the end of the season. Ned - Episode 9. Robb - episode 9. Catelyn Episode 9. Hound - episode 10. Martell episode 9. Shae Episode 10. Tywin episode 10. Stannis Episode 10. John Snow episode 10. Ygritte Episode 9 etc.

And that is an example of how GOT is dumbed down from the books for a mass audience. It basically works similar to wrestling. They spend 8 episodes building characters up in order to have a big showdown in the ppv (penutlimate episode) then tie the loose ends in the final episode to build for the next series. Like in professional wrestling, they spend the earlier episodes throwing loads of minor characters at the lead characters so that the lead characters can "own" them, thereby building reputation for themselves. I don't think I've seen a single scene in the series yet in which the extras serve any other purpose than just to be humiliated by the main characters like Tywin, Arya etc in order to create a "OMG, x is so awessome" reaction.

The fact that all the actors are super models, which you refference is another example of this. Just taking a book and making it hollywood because the masses are more likely to watch if the guys/ girls are "hot" so lets just make all the characters hot.

Did any of you watch Battlestar galatica remake . That was truly awesome and any character " did get bumped off" It was truly memorising TV . Very political and dark and close relationships put to extreme tests
This was incredible TV.
I think only the incredible Swede /Danish, French shows compete. Nice long scenes to let the tales unfold rather than the quick edit dirge we mostly have to suffer.
I did enjoy the recent Fargo , brilliant stuff as well.
I'm also enjoying the beebs Undercover. Great acting . Sophie Okonedo is just great and I would make her the new Dr Who when PC goes.

Fargo was great. Have not watched any Battlestar Galactica but some of the reviews I read were really positive.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I've recently acquired a Netflix subscription and have been watching Friends. I saw a few episodes here and there when it used to be on German TV but I never really watched it regularly. Plus a lot of the other sitcoms on Netflix I have already seen, like How I Met Your Mother or Modern Family.

I have to say I quite like it! Is is generally quite funny, but also serious sometimes, and not too goofy. One of the main differences I noticed to current sitcoms, is that most "quiproquo" type situations are resolved rather quickly and not drawn out over an entire episode or even several episodes. That I find rather refreshing. I was also a little surprised at some of the themes. Despite being a very "PG13" show, I think it has a quite healthy and progressive view of sex. Monica, Phoebe and Rachel are strong, independent caracters in my opinion. There are also some weird storylines, some involving Phoebe's family, or animals (Ross' monkey, Joey and Chandler's duck), or Chander's smoking. The smoking is in a way also quite refreshing because I feel like such a storyline would not be acceptable in a family friendly sitcom today. Or simply not relatable because less people smoke in the US.

Another fun thing is to make out guest stars in the early seasons, such as George Clooney as a doctor and love interest of Rachels, Jean Claude Van Damme as himself and Monica's love interest, Adam Goldberg as Chandler's crazy room mate, or Charlie Sheen as a marine and Phoebe's love interest.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Undercover was great. BBC [ I hate the beeb] got it right .
Empire " love it"
Marcella has been very good although the plot seems a bit bonkers.

Housewife's of Cheshire ,perhaps the greatest performances of all time :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

kwikki said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:
For those who have finished "Breaking Bad" I urge you to get on board with "Better Call Saul" - have just finished season 2 of it and it's a really great watch, a storyline which burns slowly and characters with real depth - plus for those who have seen BB there's a lot of easter eggs in there to find.

I am watching Season One and enjoying it. Good to see the characters from Breaking Bad again like Mike and the Mexicans. Of course Saul is a great character.

Half way through season 2 and liking it more and more as it moves along......will remain in non-spoiler mode for those who wish to watch - ;)

I've really enjoyed it. Stunning writing, acting and cinematography.
ehmm, I finished watching S2 few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward to 3rd series!
OTOH I was a bit disappointed but mainly due to expactations.The story moves veeeery slowly (usually I dont mind, but this is too much) and this whole lawyers thing becomes kind of boring.Its true that lot of characters are super interesting, almost Breaking Bad level interesting :)
I enjoyed the 1st season probably a bit more, but this one had awesome episodes too, just there is too much long shots and rubbish in that.I just really dont know what 'stunning cinematography it has' :p (other series has it e.g. Fargo, Narcos etc)

But looking forward to the 3rs and the whole Mike line, and Saul situation turns out!

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Six episodes into 11.22.63. Just two to go.

At times, it drifts a bit from the plot to save Kennedy but it's still very enjoyable.

I haven't read the book, but that's my next stop.

ILovecycling said:
kwikki said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:
For those who have finished "Breaking Bad" I urge you to get on board with "Better Call Saul" - have just finished season 2 of it and it's a really great watch, a storyline which burns slowly and characters with real depth - plus for those who have seen BB there's a lot of easter eggs in there to find.

I am watching Season One and enjoying it. Good to see the characters from Breaking Bad again like Mike and the Mexicans. Of course Saul is a great character.

Half way through season 2 and liking it more and more as it moves along......will remain in non-spoiler mode for those who wish to watch - ;)

ehmm, I finished watching S2 few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward to 3rd series!
OTOH I was a bit disappointed but mainly due to expactations.The story moves veeeery slowly (usually I dont mind, but this is too much) and this whole lawyers thing becomes kind of boring.Its true that lot of characters are super interesting, almost Breaking Bad level interesting :)
I enjoyed the 1st season probably a bit more, but this one had awesome episodes too, just there is too much long shots and rubbish in that.I just really dont know what 'stunning cinematography it has' :p (other series has it e.g. Fargo, Narcos etc)

But looking forward to the 3rs and the whole Mike line, and Saul situation turns out!

Without spoiling anything for anyone, there's one episode in bcs where a character takes a sniper rifle to an event, spends 10 minutes pointing it at different people, then decides he doesn't want to use it and goes home.

I do enjoy bcs, but I get the impression that the creators think that any scene, automatically becomes a "work of art" if you can find a way to pointlessly drag it out over minutes and minutes.

Very similar visually and in tone to Breaking Bad as you would expect with the same people involved. Of course the story line of Breaking Bad was more compelling but the quality of the acting in both series is top notch. BCS tends to be a bit lighter in tone but I find that some of the best episodes and scenes are the more serious ones.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Hitch
Without spoiling anything for anyone, there's one episode in bcs where a character takes a sniper rifle to an event, spends 10 minutes pointing it at different people, then decides he doesn't want to use it and goes home.

I do enjoy bcs, but I get the impression that the creators think that any scene, automatically becomes a "work of art" if you can find a way to pointlessly drag it out over minutes and minutes.
Exactly.Personally Im quite a big movie nerd and I definitely dont call this an 'art', that a BS for me. Like I said, if Gilligan wants to do art let him have a look at those series I wrote and couple of others (e.g. awesome cinematography in first 2 series of Lost, there is also True detective, BofB etc)

OTOH I enjoyed the scene you pointed out :D , but because I really like his story line.

Archer is brilliant. The new Top Gear came out last night, without the old trio of Clarkson, May and Hammond. The content was very similar, just with Chris Evans shouting everything AS LOUD AS HE COULD. He was awful.

Have I Got News For You is still going, though :)

ILovecycling said:
kwikki said:
JackRabbitSlims said:
movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:

I just finished watching Season One and I really liked it.

TRENDING THREADS