• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I finished watching the original Twin Peaks yesterday. I can only agree with what's been said earlier in this thread. There's a very special vibe to the show that I've never experienced in any other TV series. Maybe it's Lynch's way of taking seemingly normal things and make them seem surreal, I don't know. I really appreciate the soundtrack also.

I wonder if the new series is as good as the original. Time to find out soon!

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
I finished watching the original Twin Peaks yesterday. I can only agree with what's been said earlier in this thread. There's a very special vibe to the show that I've never experienced in any other TV series. Maybe it's Lynch's way of taking seemingly normal things and make them seem surreal, I don't know. I really appreciate the soundtrack also.

It's a good idea to watch Fire Walk With Me as well, but it's not necessary. Have you seen any Lynch movies? The third season is a mix between the first two seasons and his movies, style-wise.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
Just started rewatching House MD again. Man, I do love that series.

That was a good series but I think it ended at the right time. The final series was a bit of a drop off in quality. Really well acted.
Yeah I agree. The whole setup and with it revolving so much around one or a few characters meant it's days were limited. Wouldn't have it another way though. Some great, flawed characters there.

Netserk said:
Cance > TheRest said:

It's a good idea to watch Fire Walk With Me as well, but it's not necessary. Have you seen any Lynch movies? The third season is a mix between the first two seasons and his movies, style-wise.
That sounds good. I've watched Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man. I'll give FWWM a watch too.

I'm not too much into watching TV but there were some shows I thought they were worth watching, Dexter, Mad Men, 3rd Rock From the Sun, Luther, BlackList (my favorite), (original) Twilight Zone, (original) Outer Limits, Last Man Standing, The Tool Man, Frazier, Hell on Wheels,...that's all I can think of on short notice, but it would be a short list. There was show I liked years ago called The FBI but I haven't seen it since, problem is most shows I liked as a kid I would see as an adult and the acting was horrid, so not sure if I would think the same thing if I saw The FBI again.

Thrones is back, but DandD have ruined most of the good characters as they can't write good dialogue for intriguing characters. Littlefinger went from being the most scheming man in Westeros who could manipulate even the most powerful houses to being a moustache-twiddling sex pest, who just repeats the same conversation over and over again. He's almost as annoying as Dany. And Varys and Tyrion have become infinitely less interesting since Season 4, and the mighty Olenna is (spoiler) dead.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Thrones is back, but DandD have ruined most of the good characters as they can't write good dialogue for intriguing characters. Littlefinger went from being the most scheming man in Westeros who could manipulate even the most powerful houses to being a moustache-twiddling sex pest, who just repeats the same conversation over and over again. He's almost as annoying as Dany. And Varys and Tyrion have become infinitely less interesting since Season 4, and the mighty Olenna is (spoiler) dead.
Yeah, everything feels so incredibly rushed now. I think they've done quite a few things right this season, but they clearly have no idea what to do with a significant number of people who aren't really involved in the northern endgame.

And the travel bothers me. It's like they have teleporters now.

Red Rick said:
Brullnux said:
Yeah, everything feels so incredibly rushed now. I think they've done quite a few things right this season, but they clearly have no idea what to do with a significant number of people who aren't really involved in the northern endgame.

Yeah the lack of time between events is noticeable and the best actors keep disappearing while the Hound and Arya miraculously survived as fan favorites do. Littlefinger would have been written out of the show by now unless he was about to drop a bombshell of sorts which I think is going to happen. He's not the type of character to keep around just for cryptic conversations. He will either be killed off soon or do something that no one will expect. Never really bought Sansa's character either, the way it developed and Theon must still only be there because either something dreadful or heroic is planned for him. Take out Cersei, Ser Davos and Sam and the ass falls out of the whole thing because every time they appear, the series picks up a little. As for Bran, I suppose his role in the endgame is just starting.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
Don't forget euron 'finger in de bum' greyjoy
TV Euron never happened, I dropped the whole show when I saw him and the lack of Victarion (probably my favourite POV character in the books) also sucks.

Re:

Red Rick said:
At this point GoT is basically the Avengers in a medieval setting.

Spoiler alert for anyone that is not up to date with the series.

Yeah it's rushing towards the finish. This is where the structure of a book would have been handy as the basis for the script. The previous series was very predictable, and everyone expected the Hound, Arya and John Snow to all survive and they did. The strength of the early series was that some of the deaths were completely unpredictable which added to the suspense and the interest. Now it's just which villain dies next. The main cast will be there for the duration until the sorting out and the show also suffers for seeing most of the best actors killed off. The show really misses Charles Dance, Diana Rigg Jonathan Pryce and many others.

Mayomaniac said:
Brullnux said:
Don't forget euron 'finger in de bum' greyjoy
TV Euron never happened, I dropped the whole show when I saw him and the lack of Victarion (probably my favourite POV character in the books) also sucks.

Euron is just irritating and and a pantomime villain. I have only read the first three books but everyone says that his character is much better in the books.

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
Brullnux said:

Littlefinger would have been written out of the show by now unless he was about to drop a bombshell of sorts which I think is going to happen. He's not the type of character to keep around just for cryptic conversations. He will either be killed off soon or do something that no one will expect.
Yep, they kept him around for seven episodes and then killed him off. It was a mercy killing by the end

Brullnux said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
Brullnux said:

Littlefinger would have been written out of the show by now unless he was about to drop a bombshell of sorts which I think is going to happen. He's not the type of character to keep around just for cryptic conversations. He will either be killed off soon or do something that no one will expect.
Yep, they kept him around for seven episodes and then killed him off. It was a mercy killing by the end

Yeah he was pretty good in his final scene. But he was one of the characters expected to go so no surprise. Nice scene between Cersei and Tyrion.

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm not a great fan of TV-series to tell the truth... I liked only "Charmed" a long time ago but only first three seasons :D
And now I adore only "Game Of Thrones", that's an amazing thing for me! :eek:

TRENDING THREADS