• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Moments 2023

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Flanders, Roubaix, Worlds and the le Tour were by far the best races.

Pogacar on kwaremont, drama with VDP + dege + WVA in roubaix, the world championships, and pogacar/vingegard attacking each other in France, these were the best moments.

La vuelta GC was embarrassing, Giro GC was quite boring. Lussari was a nice moment but it was a 50/50 between 2 wheelsuckers

Some other good moments I liked were:
-Soupe winning a vuelta stage
-The stage wins of mohoric and asgreen in le tour
-ciccone mugging roglic and remco in that cataluña stage
-ilan van Welder legendary winning attack and genuine interview in Varese!!! He attacked and dropped pogacar and roglic!

For me the most wtf moment was Vingegård's TT in the Tour.

The best moments were Van der Poel in the Worlds Championships, dominating the race even with the crash that added extra drama and also Pogačar winning Flanders after dropping Van der Poel, Van Aert and Pedersen something that many didn't thought possible. Two legendary races!

Last edited:
For me the most wtf moment was Vingegård's TT in the Tour.

The best moments were Van der Poel in the Worlds Championships, dominating the race even with the crash that added extra drama and also Pogačar winning Flanders after dropping Van der Poel, Van Aert and Pedersen something that many didn't thought possible. Two legendary races!
Agreed on all 3 and the Vingegaard TT is the biggest WTF moment of the decade imo.

Reactions: scribers
Mvp powering away at MSR
WvA letting Laporte win Gent
Pog doing the unthinkable at Flanders
Philipsen second at P-R is something to be reckoned with
Remco blasting out of the cannon at giro and before abandoning
Rogs stunning ITT and win at giro
Cav sprint in Rome
Tour Suisse was a great race until it wasn’t
Vingos huge margin at le tour
City crit style worlds was a fabulous race. Pog third was stunning
Battle of teammates at la vuelta was good to watch. Kuss winning good too

MVDP dropping the best one-day riders at the WCRR and MSR. And the corollary when Pogacar did it at Flanders.

Remco dropping everyone at LBL. You knew when and where it was going to happen but it was still satisfying.
You seriously consider LBL? That was by far the most disappointing monument for me this year. What Evenepoel did was impressive, but it lacked the suspense and tension that all other races had.

RvV, Worlds and Tour stage 6 to Cauterets are my three favourite days, in that order.

You seriously consider LBL? That was by far the most disappointing monument for me this year. What Evenepoel did was impressive, but it lacked the suspense and tension that all other races had.

RvV, Worlds and Tour stage 6 to Cauterets are my three favourite days, in that order.
I did, I'm a big fan of Remco being Remco. Just personal preference.

Turned out that was the high point of his year.

LBL was hugely disappointing simply because the only thing anyone wanted to see was Remco vs Pog

A lot of special moments this season but for me this one is it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiAiGMw-WUw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBdAlYwmrQ0

What a beautiful moment of cycling history, containing all emotions possible. Still gives me the chills and let me remind you that that has nothing at all to do with the cold weather.

P.S. Pogi and his classics season, Primož and Jonas abandoning Sepp on Angliru, van der Poel winning PR and becoming a world champion ... A whole lot of special memories. A lot of sadness involved too, due to the death of Gino and others.

Last edited:
I do agree with what has been said and cherished. Personally I would say Pog fighting back and Cav winning in Rome (and for a little while almost winning at the Tour). To add something that hasn’t been brought up yet; the poster who thought MVDP would be caught post crash at the Worlds because WVA would see parts of MVDP’s shoe and figure out he crashed and up the pace so the group catches MVDP only for WVA to say they never knew MVDP crashed.

Been following this sport since 1993. 2023 was the first time I’ve followed the season from start to finish. Hard to pick a best moment, I have become a Pog fan so was very disappointed at the TdF but for me in hindsight I’ll pick Roglic’s win in the Giro. Incredible ride. I was rooting for old man Thomas to hold on but cannot begrudge Primoz in the Giro who did a lot to ease the pain of the 2020 TdF.

Special mentions to Vingegaard proving 2022 wasn’t a fluke and Pog of course showing us his incredible versatility and a desire to attack no matter what. In that regard (attacking) he reminds me of Contador. But he is way more versatile than Alberto ever was.

Great season but I’m already looking forward to 2024. :)

Last edited: