• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Race of the Year

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best race of 2016?

• Paris-Roubaix

Votes: 77 63.1%
  • Olympic Road Race

Votes: 45 36.9%

• Total voters
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Rio was one of the best races I've ever seen. I haven't been watching cycling for that long, but FWIW it may just be the 2nd best race I've ever seen. However, in this poll it is competing against the best race I've ever seen. Great year for cycling; the Giro was also amazing, well the last few mountain stages at least. And in July I managed to find a cure for insomnia! Really good year overall :).

(I expected Rio to win because it would be more recent in the memory of the voters, but I'm pleased to see that even despite that effect Paris-Roubaix is currently leading the poll.)

The olympics road race. The last km's were equally exciting and unpredictable. However, Rio had a more open-ended finish with many more riders able to pull of the win. Paris-Roubaix was essentially limited to a battle in the 5-man-group for quite a long time (8 guys if you count Haussler, Sieberg and Saramotins), since Fabian's crash ruined his own and Sagan's chances of getting back. That's what makes Rio the more exciting race.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Poll is a bit unfair now though, as we've had TWO awesome Olympic Road Races this year.

I was about to post this. Allthough I can not really judge as I only watched the final 30km of the womens race.

P-R and men Olympics had action with over 100km to go. Allthough not non-stop there was good racing before 100km to go and I don't really think that happened with the women, but that race is a lot shorter as well. That final 30km made up for a lot though.

A rider rode solo towards the line with two others chasing, plus a wave of attacks from some seemingly hopeless groups of riders in the final laps, and the fact that all those involved several types of riders...this ORR's so special. And Cancellara pulled for an invisible chance, Purito waved, Froome sped up and than got dropped by everyone that rode up to him, won't forget those moments...

But that "whoa, wtf have I just watched" moment when PR ended...nothing compares. It beats everything for me.

In such a nice year for biggrst one day races, I dare hope even Doha will exceed our expectation, which is not that hard for it to do

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Poll is a bit unfair now though, as we've had TWO awesome Olympic Road Races this year.

I was about to post this. Allthough I can not really judge as I only watched the final 30km of the womens race.

P-R and men Olympics had action with over 100km to go. Allthough not non-stop there was good racing before 100km to go and I don't really think that happened with the women, but that race is a lot shorter as well. That final 30km made up for a lot though.
There was some good action on the first circuit, as you had Kopecky alone in the front but she was something of an irrelevance (she's mostly a sprinter), but the counter-move over the hill had van Dijk, Plichta and Bronzini, so Netherlands and Italy weren't going to help, so first Worrack then Armstrong chased across and the question was who would take responsibility to chase as most of the big nations were represented. Garfoot tried but failed to get across; Pooley was doing a lot of work and trying to get the Aussies to help, which they weren't keen to do; at the same time Harris was suffering on the climbs so Pooley couldn't go too hard or she'd isolate Lizzie; at one point she and Gracie Elvin tried to bridge instead because the gap was up at almost a minute, but Vos marked them out of it, then the group eventually came back together; once stronger climbers were trying to bridge the weaker climbers in the group such as van Dijk and Bronzini stopped working. On the final time up the last climb of the circuit, van Dijk again upped the tempo, and you had elite climbers all at the front of the group with Longo Borghini, Niewiadoma, Moolman-Pasio, Lichtenberg and Stevens all visible; the bunch was shattered and splintered into three groups on the descent, but so many strong names were caught behind it (including Vos so the Dutch sat up) that it came back together with about 50 to go, as a result it was then kind of cagey for the next 20k apart from Cordon's brief solo foray.

So really, there was some good action in the early going (the first 20-25k were a bit dull as the péloton went on a real go-slow due to the wind, apart from one point where Germany tried to create echelons but found the wind wasn't really strong enough, so stuck Kasper in a chasse-patate instead), then it calmed down again once the long distance moves were unable to make the difference, then the final 30k were insane. If you like, as a percentage of the race being exciting it was just as good as the men's, but there was a lull in the middle which the men didn't really have to the same extent, if only because of the multiple loops of the Canoas circuit though, with the women only climbing it once, once the attrition caused by the racing on the Grumaias circuit was done with, everybody was waiting for Vista Chinesa.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
An interesting lesson from both these races is that, if done properly, wall-to-wall coverage of a one-day race can really work. The Czech attack in the OGRR, for example, would have been missed completely by most people if the TV coverage had started with 100km to go, and, for the die-hards following a text-based tracker, would have been glossed over as a few splits which ultimately came to naught. It also allowed us to see the composition of the break, which is always pretty interesting. More abstractly, I felt more invested in the OGRR for having watched it the whole way through, and the actually fairly long periods where basically nothing happened didn't frustrate me as much as they did in the Tour, because I knew there was enough time for someone to try something, and because I could watch stuff like who was taking on the burden of chasing, which would turn out important later. The lesson is, I think, that it's foolish to underestimate an audience's intelligence and pull a Guillen, by packing all the excitement into the last 10km: people who don't usually watch cycling watched this race through, and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it. Next year, all the Tour stages will be televised all through, but I'm not sure it will work in a GT format. The great appeal of one-day racing is that this race is your chance to win. There's no third week to make it back on, and no one cares about 8th place: you have to try something now. So while I'm sure the ASO's TV coverage will be infinitely better than Rio's, and that they'll hit their Chateau Quota ten times over, I'm not convinced it will be the right move.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

gunara said:
A rider rode solo towards the line with two others chasing, plus a wave of attacks from some seemingly hopeless groups of riders in the final laps, and the fact that all those involved several types of riders...this ORR's so special. And Cancellara pulled for an invisible chance, Purito waved, Froome sped up and than got dropped by everyone that rode up to him, won't forget those moments...

But that "whoa, wtf have I just watched" moment when PR ended...nothing compares. It beats everything for me.

In such a nice year for biggrst one day races, I dare hope even Doha will exceed our expectation, which is not that hard for it to do

Yeah sort of the same, the olympic race was awesome, but Paris Roubaix was unique. I just went ballistic so many times... The guys were uber cooked from 150kms or racing full speed or close too and then in those last km they all attacked each other with abandon yet managed to regroup on the velodrome for a desperate sprint.. It was the best one day race I have ever watched in terms of emotional content for me.

Re:

Cannibal72 said:
An interesting lesson from both these races is that, if done properly, wall-to-wall coverage of a one-day race can really work. The Czech attack in the OGRR, for example, would have been missed completely by most people if the TV coverage had started with 100km to go, and, for the die-hards following a text-based tracker, would have been glossed over as a few splits which ultimately came to naught. It also allowed us to see the composition of the break, which is always pretty interesting. More abstractly, I felt more invested in the OGRR for having watched it the whole way through, and the actually fairly long periods where basically nothing happened didn't frustrate me as much as they did in the Tour, because I knew there was enough time for someone to try something, and because I could watch stuff like who was taking on the burden of chasing, which would turn out important later. The lesson is, I think, that it's foolish to underestimate an audience's intelligence and pull a Guillen, by packing all the excitement into the last 10km: people who don't usually watch cycling watched this race through, and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it. Next year, all the Tour stages will be televised all through, but I'm not sure it will work in a GT format. The great appeal of one-day racing is that this race is your chance to win. There's no third week to make it back on, and no one cares about 8th place: you have to try something now. So while I'm sure the ASO's TV coverage will be infinitely better than Rio's, and that they'll hit their Chateau Quota ten times over, I'm not convinced it will be the right move.

I agree with this post word-for-word.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Roubaix by a solid margin for me. Best race in a long time, possibly the best I've ever watched.

Yeah, me too. Definitely the best finale I've seen - 5 man heavy weight boxing match, with the joker in the pack pulling out a blistering surprise attack and then totally surprising in the sprint.

ORR was good. Great (and beautiful) parcours, unpredictable, classy and attacking riders......but I've already forgotten it. PR 2016 will stay with me.

PremierAndrew said:
BigMac said:
Year / Season ain't even over...

Please raname the thread to ''Which of ORR and P-R was the better race?'', or something along those lines.

What's going to be better than those two? Lombardia with that course? :eek:
I'd still rate ORR and PR higher but I'm pretty sure some people would have voted Lombardia this year. This thread really was hasty.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
PremierAndrew said:
BigMac said:
Year / Season ain't even over...

Please raname the thread to ''Which of ORR and P-R was the better race?'', or something along those lines.

What's going to be better than those two? Lombardia with that course? :eek:
I'd still rate ORR and PR higher but I'm pretty sure some people would have voted Lombardia this year. This thread really was hasty.

I would put Lombardia quite a way above the OGRR (although still not as good as Roubaix).

TRENDING THREADS