• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best solo of this year.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best solo of the year?

• Vino on the olympics, not really a solo but it's Vino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
That's a legit question actually.

He went alone, came up to his teammates, did some work aswell in the downhill and the flat parts. Then went with tiralongo for 5k and dropped him.

The one of boonen and de gendt also started with a teammate.

Libertine Seguros said:
Nairo Quintana in the Route du Sud. Just look at the destruction:

profile-3.jpg

1 Nairo Quintana Rojas (Movistar) 6'07'46
2 Hubert Dupont (Ag2r-La Mondiale) +1'11
3 Anthony Charteau (Europcar) +3'49
4 Kenny Elissonde (FDJ) +5'55
5 Matthieu Perget (Ag2r-La Mondiale) +6'33

The top 10 covered 12 minutes; the top 20 covered 18.

When did this happen? How did I miss that? **** my busy schedule...

Where did Quintana attack?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
Giro Tappa 15 - Rabottini!!!!! Best of the Year!!!

^^^ Would probably have got my vote, well maybe, P-R isn't a Classic for nothing. Rabottini deserves it just for having to wear the flouro green team kit :p

Nothing made me feel better than Iljo Keisse in Turkey this year tho, a break than a solo effort but still, don't know how many times I have watched it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ru3vGR8nck cure for a crap day

Miburo said:
He went alone, came up to his teammates, did some work aswell in the downhill and the flat parts. Then went with tiralongo for 5k and dropped him.

I see your point.
Still, Boonen and De Gendt gave me a different do-it-all-by-yourself feeling.

I rate Contador's effort along the likes of Cunego in the 2004 Giro. Truly wonderful performance, but the team role was crucial.

Descender said:
When did this happen? How did I miss that? **** my busy schedule...

Where did Quintana attack?

Quintana made the move along with Pardilla that turned the péloton to a small group on the Tourmalet, crossing the summit not long after Perget (solo break) along with the others in that top 5. They rode together as a group of 7 or 8 over Soulor, then Quintana went at the base of Spandelles and destroyed everyone.

Miburo said:

If that's a solo victory we could call every victory that aren't decided by a sprint a solo victory. I'm not taking anything away from Berto's efforts yesterday but it was down to good tactics, good timing, luck and a good effort from Berto. He did not destroy each and everyone like a Boonen did.

labratty said:
^^^ Would probably have got my vote, well maybe, P-R isn't a Classic for nothing. Rabottini deserves it just for having to wear the flouro green team kit :p

Nothing made me feel better than Iljo Keisse in Turkey this year tho, a break than a solo effort but still, don't know how many times I have watched it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ru3vGR8nck cure for a crap day

Nice!!!

But Rabottini soloed for 75km in rain over 3 climbs, crashed, got up and rode on, was caught by Jrod with < 400 meters to go and out sprinted him...
EPIC!!!!!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
Nice!!!

But Rabottini soloed for 75km in rain over 3 climbs, crashed, got up and rode on, was caught by Jrod with < 400 meters to go and out sprinted him...
EPIC!!!!!

Absolutley, solo efforts is the completely wrong poll for Keisse's dramas, not sure where I would put it, means more when you know his back story, there was a story here on CN about him I think. Kirby may be a muppet most the time but on that day I found him a delitefully infectious muppet.

But the determination from Rabottini to hold the wheel when he was passed and then find more really was epic.

ratty

Boonen for sheer display of power, he toyed with every1 and without a top shape canc on the race he was clearly about 10 levels above any1 else that day.

Contador's "solo" was more a brilliant display of tactical games and perfect use of the team.

Rabottini by a mile, the old lady who sits next to me in the office happened across the Giro coverage that day accidentally and said she had never seen anything like it in any sport.She keeps asking me when Rabottini is on next! A bit difficult trying to explain he's not one of the sport's superstars!! :)

Telmisartan new said:
Rabottini by a mile, the old lady who sits next to me in the office happened across the Giro coverage that day accidentally and said she had never seen anything like it in any sport.She keeps asking me when Rabottini is on next! A bit difficult trying to explain he's not one of the sport's superstars!! :)

Charming story :) A new fan I love it!

Now have her watch yesterday's stage and she'll be hooked forever...and Alberto is a superstar so she'll get to see him more often.

Carols said:
Charming story :) A new fan I love it!

Now have her watch yesterday's stage and she'll be hooked forever...and Alberto is a superstar so she'll get to see him more often.

Ha ha! I did ask but unfortunately she was out yesterday.I'll need to think of when Rabottini might win next or failing that do as you say and turn her onto AC.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Matteo Rabottini's win in the Giro is definitely the best solo of the year (so far). That was just amazing.

It was also the only time in the past few years I cheered when someone beat Purito at the finish.

Viking said:
Matteo Rabottini's win in the Giro is definitely the best solo of the year (so far). That was just amazing.

It was also the only time in the past few years I cheered when someone beat Purito at the finish.

Yeah,too true,thank god Purito bagged Fleche,it would be too hard to stomach for him looking back on his season without that elusive classic,hope he wins the Worlds as way of special compensation.

All were great but when the dust is settled and the smoke is cleared only one of these will be remembered for the ages.

Id pick De Gendt for 2nd.

Boonen would be ranked higher, but unfortunately for him Cancellara 2 years ago did the same trick against far better opposition and far more devestatingly.

will10 said:
The only man to beat Purito in a sprint this season :D

El Imbatido

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
All were great but when the dust is settled and the smoke is cleared only one of these will be remembered for the ages.

Id pick De Gendt for 2nd.

Boonen would be ranked higher, but unfortunately for him Cancellara 2 years ago did the same trick against far better opposition and far more devestatingly.

El Imbatido

Boonen's will be remembered more: it was his fourth win, a record only held by one other person.

Vino just because he screwed things up for GB & Fat McQuaid...

The look tells everything

626083617.jpg

Can't get enough of this **** :cool:

(anyway where's Terpstra epic ride at the Nationals? that was almost more impressive than the Tommeke solo...and he ridiculed Rabofail by the way :p )

TRENDING THREADS