• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

• P.Sagan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
to me a sprint is an effort that is so short that aerobic and even anaerobic capacity dont matter and thats about 30s max. However, Gilbert in top form should take this, he has demonstrated his extra power at the mur de huy as well as at lbl so 2km shouldnt be too long.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gilbert, with Purito second. Sagan will be the best in a couple years and once Purito and Gilbert start to get older and lose their edge.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Gilbert, with Purito second. Sagan will be the best in a couple years and once Purito and Gilbert start to get older and lose their edge.

I would wait a little while longer with that prediction. In 2005 Boonen was God, but the playing field leveled somewhat with the breakthrough of Cancellara in 2006. Same could happen to Sagan.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I would wait a little while longer with that prediction. In 2005 Boonen was God, but the playing field leveled somewhat with the breakthrough of Cancellara in 2006. Same could happen to Sagan.

boonen wasn't anywhere near as god as sagan was when he was 22. boonen was also a cobble rider. sagan is so much more

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
boonen wasn't anywhere near as god as sagan was when he was 22. boonen was also a cobble rider. sagan is so much more

Trust me, the Boonen hype was pretty big back in 2005. Sagan might be so much more, but that doesn't mean much considering his focus remains Milan-San Remo, the Flemish classics and AGR. And if you don't believe me you can always look up his interviews for yourself I suppose.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
boonen was 25 in 2005. sagan is something we've never seen before ever since perhaps god/vdb

He was still 24 when he became world champ. ;)

Sagan will be 23 very soon. And yeah like I said, let's wait a little before we call him the best for the next 10 years because we all know what happened to VDB. Sadly. So you kinda agree if you forget my analogy. ;)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
wasn't kreuziger supposed to be the next god back in 08 when he won the TdS only a month after turning 22?

to he honest with this eastern europeans guys i like to take it carefully :eek:

Sagan already won three Tour stages and the green jersey, and top 5 in 4 major classics. Even if he doesn't make any progress anymore, he'll still be a great cyclist.

Gilbert easily wins this imo. When he's on form nobody can hold his wheel on finishes like this.

:confused:
how about Simon Gerrans? Di luca ain't good anymore? Evans too old?

as far as the poll goes: Don Alejandro Valverde to me is the best uphill sprinter-he can do that during a GT, a week long race, classics -you name it.
Gilbert is very close to him, but panache is imprinted on the Spaniard :D
Sagan will take over in 2014

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
:confused:
how about Simon Gerrans? Di luca ain't good anymore? Evans too old?

as far as the poll goes: Don Alejandro Valverde to me is the best uphill sprinter-he can do that during a GT, a week long race, classics -you name it.
Gilbert is very close to him, but panache is imprinted on the Spaniard :D
Sagan will take over in 2014

So can Gilbert.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
oh my:eek:...guys,Gilbert is not better uphill sprinter than Sagan,Purito or Valverde.He is excelent in dropping them in high percentages(above 6%) but in sprint he wont win against them.:rolleyes:

my ladder:
Valverde
Sagan
Purito
Gilbert

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
oh my:eek:...guys,Gilbert is not better uphill sprinter than Sagan,Purito or Valverde.He is excelent in dropping them in high percentages(above 6%) but in sprint he wont win against them.:rolleyes:

my ladder:
Valverde
Sagan
Purito
Gilbert

Yeah, that's why Purito was second in Barcelona this year.

Phil sure wins a lot uphill for being the worst on your ladder. :eek:

BTW i think 1 name that should be in here if we are doing 2k at 8% is Contador. He wont outsprint anyone, but if we are doing just first to the top i think it would be just about long and hard enough for him to dance away on.

and if it were a tt, no one else would stand a chance;)

El Pistolero said:

He worked with phil to keep an advantage and let Gilbert take the stage.

But yes i agree with you that had it gone to a sprint then Gilbert is a better sprinter than Purito, not than Sagan or Valverde though.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Phil won cos it was deal,and you know it.Purito cared about general,Phil for stage,its clear.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Phil won cos it was deal,and you know it.Purito cared about general,Phil for stage,its clear.

Yeah the guy that outsprinted Boonen at Paris-Tours made a deal because otherwise he wouldn't be able to outsprint a Spaniard of 38kg.

:rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
BTW i think 1 name that should be in here if we are doing 2k at 8% is Contador. He wont outsprint anyone, but if we are doing just first to the top i think it would be just about long and hard enough for him to dance away on.

and if it were a tt, no one else would stand a chance;)

He worked with phil to keep an advantage and let Gilbert take the stage.

But yes i agree with you that had it gone to a sprint then Gilbert is a better sprinter than Purito, not than Sagan or Valverde though.

They both worked together, strongest man of the day on that kind of stage won.

Tiralongo would've won if Phil and Purito didn't drop everyone on Montjuic. If Valverde had the legs he would've followed Tiralongo.

A time trial on a 2km hill around 6-8%? Phil definitely. He already came 9th in this year's flat Tour prologue and he wasn't in his best shape.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
using that logic:

pff, as if the guy who has the Cauberg record and won all 3 ardennes classics last year isnt going to beat Gasparoto on the Cauberg

Oh wait:eek:

I can't think of a single scenario where Rodriguez would ever outsprint Gilbert. Maybe if he has a flat tire.

This is the guy that outsprinted Tyler Farrar while the latter was sitting in his wheel.

Even in his bad shape Gilbert was still among the best on the Cauberg and Mur de Huy. Without Phil Freire would've won the AGR, keep that in mind.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah the guy that outsprinted Boonen at Paris-Tours made a deal because otherwise he wouldn't be able to outsprint a Spaniard of 38kg.

:rolleyes:

There is always danger that you lose for exapmle bad tactics.And Phil wasnt selfconscious before this stage;).

Anyway,if Phil wont drop Valverde on stNicholas he wont stand a chance in sprint against him in april;)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I can't think of a single scenario where Rodriguez would ever outsprint Gilbert. Maybe if he has a flat tire.

This is the guy that outsprinted Tyler Farrar while the latter was sitting in his wheel.

Even in his bad shape Gilbert was still among the best on the Cauberg and Mur de Huy. Without Phil Freire would've won the AGR, keep that in mind.

what?what a theory:eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
There is always danger that you lose for exapmle bad tactics.And Phil wasnt selfconscious before this stage;).

Anyway,if Phil wont drop Valverde on stNicholas he wont stand a chance in sprint against him in april;)

That's hardly the kind of sprint we're talking about in this topic. ;)

And I wouldn't be too sure of that. But knowing Valverde he'll probably be happy with a second or third place. As long as he doesn't have to stick his nose in the wind too much he'll be happy. It's amazing how much of a fanbase this guy has around here. And they're the same kind of fan that hate Leipheimer. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS