• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Young Pro Tour Riders to watch in 2013

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
manafana said:
Well names are good but always nice to know the reasons. What are peoples feeling on age, can sprinters break thru younger than other types of riders?

Definitely. Classics riders take a bit more time because they have to handle longer distances.
Also many who were pure sprinters at younger ages become more classic riders once their speed decreases and they are able to handle the length.
eg- Hushovd, Freire .

the asian said:
Definitely. Classics riders take a bit more time because they have to handle longer distances.
Also many who were pure sprinters at younger ages become more classic riders once their speed decreases and they are able to handle the length.
eg- Hushovd, Freire .

Or tt riders like Hushovd and Kittel becoming sprinters.l

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Marko Kump

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marko Kump. In terms of new riders on the World Tour or Pro Conti scene, I think Kump and Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (already mentioned) are two super interesting guys to watch.

Kump was previously on Geox - but didn't race a ton.

shouldawouldacoulda said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marko Kump. In terms of new riders on the World Tour or Pro Conti scene, I think Kump and Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (already mentioned) are two super interesting guys to watch.

Kump was previously on Geox - but didn't race a ton.

Kump is 24 and well known.

Won the u 23 Ronde and has VG Classic potential. Is a fast finisher.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Kump is 24 and well known.

Won the u 23 Ronde and has VG Classic potential. Is a fast finisher.

He's not been brought up yet. I agree with you 100%. He's pretty well known - which is why I found it odd he wasn't mentioned?

Original poster said
riders under 25, who have yet to win a Protour Stage or Overall and will ride the Pro Tour this season.

I will add another name: Hugo Houle - AG2R. Good time-trialist, 23 yrs old. 4th at U23 WC road race last yr.

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Carlos Betancur is one to watch for sure. His performances on Italian soil in the ultra competitive late season races really need to be noted. He seems to have the punch that many Colombian riders lack. We could be seeing someone who could really be prominent in the Ardennes and also play a big role in a Giro or Vuelta lacking large TT's in the coming years.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
bohino11 said:
Carlos Betancur is one to watch for sure. His performances on Italian soil in the ultra competitive late season races really need to be noted. He seems to have the punch that many Colombian riders lack. We could be seeing someone who could really be prominent in the Ardennes and also play a big role in a Giro or Vuelta lacking large TT's in the coming years.

if there's one thing colombian riders are great at and well known for it's their punch and explosiveness, in recent years uran, henao, soler, duarte, serpa etc etc

Mikel Landa
Pello Bilbao
Garikoitz Bravo

I'm hoping for at least one of these guys to break through. Maybe Bilbao and Bravo aren't up to it, but Landa is a very strong climber and should put in some fine performances in 2013

The Hitch said:
Marco Haller

Wherein lies your faith in young Haller? I've got him in a fantasy keepers league for the second year now along with his young team mate Tsatevich, and I'll have to say the latter has shown most promise this year. Haller won one small race stage late in the year, Tsatevich showed himself several times near the front in sprints. I still have faith in the young Austrian, though, but haven't seen enough to warrant a spot on my CQ team ;)

Emilien Viennet might be a surprise and get chances to shine for FDJ already this year, and Danny Van Poppel seems to be a promising young sprinter too. Coquard is obviously going to be a fantastic signing for Europcar.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Clement Koretzky seems quite a good rider. I'm surprised he didn't sign at a French WT team, although he'll get more chances at Bretagne, together with Sepulveda.

And what about the first Algerian on a PCT team, Youcef Reguigui?

TRENDING THREADS