• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Young Pro Tour Riders to watch in 2013

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Luca Wackermann.

He's similiar to Moreno Moser, he was European Road Champion on his first year as a Junior rider, in 2009, beating Arnaud Demare.

Lutsenko and Aru at Astana, Barguil and van Rensburg at Argos, Sebastian Lander at BMC, Matthias Krizek and Michel Koch at Cannondale (I don't know a great deal about them, but I trust the former Liquigas scouts' abilities after the last few seasons), Sergey Chernetskiy at Katyusha, Rohan Dennis at Garmin, Luca Wackermann at Lampre, Argiro Ospina at Movistar, Josh Edmondson and Joe Dombrowski at Sky.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Lutsenko and Aru at Astana, Barguil and van Rensburg at Argos, Sebastian Lander at BMC, Matthias Krizek and Michel Koch at Cannondale (I don't know a great deal about them, but I trust the former Liquigas scouts' abilities after the last few seasons), Sergey Chernetskiy at Katyusha, Rohan Dennis at Garmin, Luca Wackermann at Lampre, Argiro Ospina at Movistar, Josh Edmondson and Joe Dombrowski at Sky.

+ Ian Boswell at Sky, he's shown some impressive results as well.

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Why nobody talk about Pinot? A gifted rider like A.Shleck at the same age (according to me 10th at the Tour it's as good as 2nd at the Giro). Hope to see him in a good shape during the spring classics.

Sicard suffered from knee injury and illness as somebody said, but he came back pretty strong at the end of the season. At the vuelta he did well, GC not so bad, and good form after 3 weeks (stage 20) for his first GT. Apparently he's very motivated this winter for starting the season well....

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I've got to agree about Pinot. I think he could make some noise next year.

I was quite suprised to hear that Dombrowski made Sky's long list for the Giro.

Xavier.Lopez said:
Why nobody talk about Pinot? A gifted rider like A.Shleck at the same age (according to me 10th at the Tour it's as good as 2nd at the Giro). Hope to see him in a good shape during the spring classics.

Sicard suffered from knee injury and illness as somebody said, but he came back pretty strong at the end of the season. At the vuelta he did well, GC not so bad, and good form after 3 weeks (stage 20) for his first GT. Apparently he's very motivated this winter for starting the season well....

:facepalm:

i wonder how rafael reis will do at ceramica flaminia

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
On the paper 2nd at the Giro can seem better that 10th at the Tour but if we're looking closer...
Pinot won a stage, finish 2nd at one other just ahead Froome, the routes wasn't for him at all (2 longs TT), and of course the Tour is an other level than the Giro, especially in 2007 (Di Luca won, Mazolleni third...).

And for the little story, in 2005 Armstrong during the Tour of California shouted on A.Shleck cause this young anonymous rider was following him in the Moutain everytime he attached... Pinot did the same with Ricco :D

Xavier.Lopez said:
On the paper 2nd at the Giro can seem better that 10th at the Tour but if we're looking closer...
Pinot won a stage, finish 2nd at one other just ahead Froome, the routes wasn't for him at all (2 longs TT), and of course the Tour is an other level than the Giro, especially in 2007 (Di Luca won, Mazolleni third...).

And for the little story, in 2005 Armstrong during the Tour of California shouted on A.Shleck cause this young anonymous rider was following him in the Moutain everytime he attached... Pinot did the same with Ricco :D
And then compared to what Purito did at the Giro, that's better?

Pinot is a great talent, but as was previously mentioned, I took this thread to be about those riders who've not yet 'broken out', else we'd have been mentioning Pinot, Quintana, Moser, Sagan and Guardini. In that company, Pinot needs to be mentioned but I kind of felt that by coming top 10 in the Tour he's a guy that people should already know about, rather than a tip to keep your eye on.

Xavier.Lopez said:

for me pinot has already made it no? had a very good tour de france and a stage win.

also agree podium in giro or vuelta for me is better than top 10 in tour for proper cycling fans.

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
And then compared to what Purito did at the Giro, that's better?

I wouldn't compare both performances cause they have been made in different situations, on different routes etc. In 2012 Purito has almost won the Giro + 2 stages + a jersey.
Shleck's performance in 2007 was strong for a child, and I loved it but he wasn't very "active" although regular (several 3rd places) and his opponents were Di Luca and Mazolleni. Plus, the Giro 2007 was better for a climber than the Tour 2012 (100km flat ITT in the Tour against 42 in the Giro).

Xavier.Lopez said:
I wouldn't compare both performances cause they have been made in different situations, on different routes etc. In 2012 Purito has almost won the Giro + 2 stages + a jersey.
Shleck's performance in 2007 was strong for a child, and I loved it but he wasn't very "active" although regular (several 3rd places) and his opponents were Di Luca and Mazolleni. Plus, the Giro 2007 was better for a climber than the Tour 2012 (100km flat ITT in the Tour against 42 in the Giro).

Ah, but that's comparing across year's. Schleck's 2007 Giro (2nd) was better than Pereiro's 2007 Tour (10th). Even in cases where the rider who finished 10th in the Tour is arguably a superior rider to that who was 2nd in the Giro, then when you rate the performances there is a difference in my opinion.

Rodríguez's 2012 Giro > Pinot's 2012 Tour
You could argue, I guess, in favour of Rolland's 2011 Tour > Scarponi's 2011 Giro (I know Scarponi's now the winner of the Giro but let's remember Contador was there and he affects how that race developed)
Arroyo's 2010 Giro >>>>> Horner's 2010 Tour
di Luca's 2009 Giro (dope-assisted of course) >>>>> le Mevel's 2009 Tour
Riccò's 2008 Giro (dope-assisted of course) >>>>> Tadej Valjavec's 2008 Tour

Coming 10th can be done with great panache, like Rolland and Pinot in the last two years, but it can also be thanks to a big-sized breakaway on an unofficial rest day (le Mevel and Horner) or through just being anonymously compiling results behind the heads of state (Valjavec). Coming 2nd in the Giro is, in all of those cases, about fighting for the win. Riccò won two stages of that Giro, di Luca won two stages and the points jersey (plus holding the pink and green for large stretches of time too), and we'll be watching clips of Arroyo in that legendary Aprica stage for years to come, where he was possessed by the ghost of the not-dead-yet Paolo Savoldelli trying to preserve his GT dream. Who remembers Horner in the 2010 Tour? And with the removal of Contador Luís León Sánchez would acquire that 10th place; do you remember his race? He was part of a very interesting break in the Col de la Madeleine stage where Caisse tried to get him into the GC mix, but other than that, nada.

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Ah, but that's comparing across year's. Schleck's 2007 Giro (2nd) was better than Pereiro's 2007 Tour (10th). Even in cases where the rider who finished 10th in the Tour is arguably a superior rider to that who was 2nd in the Giro, then when you rate the performances there is a difference in my opinion.

Rodríguez's 2012 Giro > Pinot's 2012 Tour
You could argue, I guess, in favour of Rolland's 2011 Tour > Scarponi's 2011 Giro (I know Scarponi's now the winner of the Giro but let's remember Contador was there and he affects how that race developed)
Arroyo's 2010 Giro >>>>> Horner's 2010 Tour
di Luca's 2009 Giro (dope-assisted of course) >>>>> le Mevel's 2009 Tour
Riccò's 2008 Giro (dope-assisted of course) >>>>> Tadej Valjavec's 2008 Tour

Coming 10th can be done with great panache, like Rolland and Pinot in the last two years, but it can also be thanks to a big-sized breakaway on an unofficial rest day (le Mevel and Horner) or through just being anonymously compiling results behind the heads of state (Valjavec). Coming 2nd in the Giro is, in all of those cases, about fighting for the win. Riccò won two stages of that Giro, di Luca won two stages and the points jersey (plus holding the pink and green for large stretches of time too), and we'll be watching clips of Arroyo in that legendary Aprica stage for years to come, where he was possessed by the ghost of the not-dead-yet Paolo Savoldelli trying to preserve his GT dream. Who remembers Horner in the 2010 Tour? And with the removal of Contador Luís León Sánchez would acquire that 10th place; do you remember his race? He was part of a very interesting break in the Col de la Madeleine stage where Caisse tried to get him into the GC mix, but other than that, nada.

Yes, it's why we have to study each case differently, a 10th place in a GT is most of the time thanks to a big breakaway, or a rider not very "active" but regular and who never had a "jour sans". On the paper, the 2nd of the Giro is far more better than the 10th of the Tour.

Joe DOmbrowski is a serious climbing talent

i have picked him as one of my riders to watch despite being with sky who normally hold riders back in their first year. He is just too damn good a climber, while stamp himself as super domestique in climbs for giro if he goes. Hoping sky give him plenty chances to race stateside too as he will do well their.

Imagine how good he will get with the sky training plan althou as small teams go bontanger were pretty decent set up.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
manafana said:
Joe DOmbrowski is a serious climbing talent

i have picked him as one of my riders to watch despite being with sky who normally hold riders back in their first year. He is just too damn good a climber, while stamp himself as super domestique in climbs for giro if he goes. Hoping sky give him plenty chances to race stateside too as he will do well their.

Imagine how good he will get with the sky training plan althou as small teams go bontanger were pretty decent set up.

+1, his performance at the Giro Bio was incredible. And it's great that he will probably already be riding the Giro in his first year. I'll be keeping a close eye on him. I just hope Sky doesn't turn him into a domestique diesel climber.

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, forgot about him. Don't really know him that well, but there's been lot's of talk about him here, so I'm curious as to how he'll do.

Pretty heavy program for a neo pro though. I could be wrong, but I don't think even Sagan rode a GT in his first year.

Neither did Moser.

One rider who i think will go very well is Boswell- sure Dombrowski has better results but Boswell shall also go well i think.

greenedge said:
Neither did Moser.

One rider who i think will go very well is Boswell- sure Dombrowski has better results but Boswell shall also go well i think.

regarding sagan comment from poster you copied their was no reason to race Sagan in GTs since he was suited to winning stages and one days so no need send him off for 3weeks to do so.

With Dombrowski he will be at his best on moutain days, and most likely to find them in grand tours he will be great in dolomites and the alpes. One grand tour is no harm

Boswell will be great right hand man in future but not as good from what i saw.

TRENDING THREADS