• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Big news: Euskaltel is no longer Basque-only

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Euskaltel should return to the PCT/GS II level, right where they belong. Than they can keep their squad basque-only with a team of maybe 16 to 18 riders, concentrate on the Vuelta al Pais Vasco, San Sebastian and the Vuelta.

And one more WT place (and automatic GT invitation) would be available for a team worth the status.

I think Euskaltel more than earned its place in the GT's over the last few seasons. In the Tour, they have a contender high up every year, last year winning a stage, taking the polka dot jersey and finishing 6th. They won two of the hardest Giro stages this year. Tell me other teams that are better suited for doing that and were not invited.

The problem is not the GTs, its certain smaller races and cobbled classics mostly.

Arnout said:
I think Euskaltel more than earned its place in the GT's over the last few seasons. In the Tour, they have a contender high up every year, last year winning a stage, taking the polka dot jersey and finishing 6th. They won two of the hardest Giro stages this year. Tell me other teams that are better suited for doing that and were not invited.

The problem is not the GTs, its certain smaller races and cobbled classics mostly.

I haven't said anything against their GT participation in general. But EUS is a team which shouldn't do three GTs in a year.

They sent teams like this to the Giro:

2005 (Laiseka was well beyond his prime back then)
Benat Albizuri Aransolo (Spa)
82 Andoni Aranaga Azkune (Spa)
83 Koldo Fernandez (Spa)
84 Iker Flores Galarza (Spa)
85 Markel Irizar Aranburu (Spa)
86 Roberto Laiseka Jaio (Spa)
87 David Lopez Garcia (Spa)
88 Anton Luengo Celaya (Spa)
89 Ivan Mayoz (Spa)

2006 (even worse)
121 Benat Albizuri Aransolo (Spa)
122 Koldo Fernandez (Spa)
123 Dionisio Galparsoro Martinez (Spa)
124 Aitor Hernandez Gutierrez (Spa)
125 Markel Irizar Aranburu (Spa)
126 Anton Luengo Celaya (Spa)
127 Aketza Pena Iza (Spa)
128 Iban Velasco (Spa)
129 Joseba Zubeldia Agirre (Spa)

They can get as much invitations as they want, but they shouldn't be forced to ride all three GTs + every Flanders classic + every other WT race with a squad consisting mainly of Samuel Sanchez, Mikel Nieve, Igor Anton, Gorka Izagirre and 20+ domestiques.

It seems that Euskatel want to remain a Pro team.
They will have to compete on all fronts and get WT points.

I don't think they will ignore their basque Identity, but merely add three or four Non Basque riders maybe Spanish, Colombian or French.

It's highly doubtful that they will sign Aussie, US or Dutch riders. Just merely sign suitable non Basque riders who will feel comfortable riding for a predominantly Basque team.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
I haven't said anything against their GT participation in general. But EUS is a team which shouldn't do three GTs in a year.

83 Koldo Fernandez (Spa)
89 Ivan Mayoz (Spa)

2006 (even worse)
128 Iban Velasco (Spa)

They can get as much invitations as they want, but they shouldn't be forced to ride all three GTs + every Flanders classic + every other WT race with a squad consisting mainly of Samuel Sanchez, Mikel Nieve, Igor Anton, Gorka Izagirre and 20+ domestiques.

Agreed. Forcing a Pro team to ride all WT races, is really unfair. All Pro teams should be invited, but they should have the right to hand back their invitations.
But with this World Tour Points thing going on, It's really difficult.
Even a very few WT points are highly valued. So Teams will send even a weak lineup with the hope of gaining a few WT points.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:

83 Koldo Fernandez (Spa)
89 Ivan Mayoz (Spa)

2006 (even worse)
128 Iban Velasco (Spa)

Agreed with that, the Giro is a bit heavy on the program. In my opinion they should only ride that once in a few years when they are sure they can send a squad that adds something to the race (like 2011 for example).

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
well that is debatable. Wiggo was very much in the spotlight with his tour performance. But both him and cav are gbr spearheads in the sport so who could argue with sky wanting them on the team.

ANd they signed some very decent signings. I mean unless your criteria is limited to superstars. Then well not many teams have signed such... AC, Canc, gilbert, cav, valverde...
Don't forget EBH, who was thought to be the biggest talent in the sport. It was pure money that got him.

Libertine Seguros said:
When I asked what the Basques would make of it, I didn't mean the government or the team management, I meant the public. After all, on September 9, 2011, the top 2 stories on ETB's evening news program were 1) Igor Antón won the Vuelta stage in Bilbao, and 2) Igor Antón's victory was made by his attacking in his hometown of Galdakao. They replaced ad breaks and filler programming with repeats of the closing stages of the stage all night. It may be difficult to get that level of passion for the team if its Basque identity is eroded, and that would be a shame.
But was this because of Igor's Basque identity, or the team's? If Juanma Garate had won the stage, would it be any different?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:

As well as sending riders to Australia, China, and Canada, countries where there is no demographic for their sponsors.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
well that is debatable. Wiggo was very much in the spotlight with his tour performance. But both him and cav are gbr spearheads in the sport so who could argue with sky wanting them on the team.

ANd they signed some very decent signings. I mean unless your criteria is limited to superstars. Then well not many teams have signed such... AC, Canc, gilbert, cav, valverde...

Sky had an offer on Gilbert. As did every other team except Lampre and Euskaltel.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Although it reflects poorly on the financial state of cycling (which we know is not good), couldn't we end up with a (welcome) situation where you basically have the current mountain-happy team minus a few slots, and then tack on a couple of sprinters/classicists who would get good leadership opportunities for themselves, and make the team more competitive in all those flat races it's obliged to show up for?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't care if they're not a Basque only team by the way, it will still be a mostly Basque team, just like Lotto-Belisol is a mostly Belgian team.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If a team knows it is not deep enough to compete in all 3 GTs, and would like to voluntarily skip one (while the useless rules forbid this) ie give the chance to some other team it looks respectful in my view.

If the WorldTour status requires squad deep enough to compete in all PT events (it actually should require) then Euskaltel is not the first team in line for relegation.

I don't care that they hardly win, this team is not about big winning list, first and foremost they are a team that just differs from the others, we have the HTC-like teams to count wins, i guess it's quite enough for the 'math lovers'

Arnout said:
On topic people. There are enough threads on this forum to discuss Sky and Boasson Hagen and everything:cool:

El Pistolero said:
Sky had an offer on Gilbert. As did every other team except Lampre and Euskaltel.

Descender said:
Good. Maybe now they will, you know, win something.

Euskaltel 2011: http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2011&teamcode=eus&podium=1

BMC: http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2011&teamcode=bmc&podium=1

Astana: http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2011&teamcode=ast&podium=1

AG2R: http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2011&teamcode=alm&podium=1

Quickstep: http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/team_palm.asp?year=2011&teamcode=qst&podium=1

So in terms of wins roughly equal to those (more than AG2R and Quickstep). In terms of quality worse than BMC, better than the rest. And this are just a few teams I bothered to look up (I know Rabobank, Sky, HTC etc had better results, I'm not gonna pretend that Euskaltel is #1 of the world).

It's not as bad as it's believed to be. Same with the stupid orange carrot always falling thing.

luckyboy said:
Very disappointing if this happens.

I wonder if they will just sign Spaniards, or do a Real Sociedad thing and only let in Basques and non-Spaniards. Or just let anyone in.

It'd be so weird seeing someone non-Spanish ride for them :(

Sicard is french and before him etxebarria who was venezuelen

El Pistolero said:
Sicard is Basque.

French and a Basque and leading the boys down under:)

Euskaltel - Euskadi

111 Romain Sicard (Fra)
112 Gorka Izagirre (Spa)
113 Victor Cabedo (Spa)
114 Pablo Urtasun (Spa)
115 Ruben Perez (Spa)
116 Adrián Saéz De Arregui (Spa)
117 Ricardo García (Spa)

Good to see him back.