• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike Pure refused press access to Tour Down Under

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roland Rat said:
Well IMO that's even more of an Epic Fail as they let the US grow back. Should've gone Roman and salted the place, Carthage style. Honestly, you want a job doing properly... :rolleyes:

That's f#$%ing hilarious, and from US.:rolleyes:
In all seriousity though, TDU should be covered by People magazine and anyone else that wants a pass. It is not a bike race, it is a training ride and the riders just don't want to get hurt before the real races start. Kinda like Tour of Cali. Just to make some sponsors happy.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Well IMO that's even more of an Epic Fail as they let the US grow back. Should've gone Roman and salted the place, Carthage style. Honestly, you want a job doing properly... :rolleyes:

LMFAO!!!! How often, in a cycling forum, do you get such a quote. Made my day.

Don't worry, the US is going to take itself down... Roman style.

Dec 5, 2010
twitter.com
Bike Pure *barely* qualify as an advocacy group - as far as I can make out they exist purely to shift merchandise.

It's about time an event started knocking back applications for media passes to those who don't qualify. I've been at a number of events where media passes have been dolled out to all who've applied and those who're there to genuinely cover the event have been forced out of the facilities laid on for them.

If Bike Pure want to go and shift product then they should sort out a presence at the race instead of going for free passes.

Rant over. Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

JMBeaushrimp said:
Actually I don't. Are you being ironic or honest?

Do you mean the institutionalized practices of the AIS? The closed group of stompers from your own mini continent? Government implications?

To be honest, I don't know much about the Oz scene. Apart from what I've learnt from ex-teammates, and they seem to enjoying convincing everyone that they occassionaly wrestle kangaroos and can drink more than any other group on the planet. Oh yeah, they like punching people in the head and feel that Aussie Football is the only Man-Sport left...

Actually that sounds like a pretty good resume. You might be calling out the Canadians, though. They seem to like wrestling bears, and actually drinking more than any group on the planet. They also seem to like kicking people when they're down, and (oddly enough) argue that the guys at the local pub are actually tougher than hockey players (apparently the guys at the pub are the ones who do the kicking).

In my books, tough call...

Regardless, the 'cross season is almost done. When in the hell does the road season start? This self-imposed idiocy is starting to wear thin...

Actually TBF the guys at the pub all either are or were hockey players.

Road season starts about two weeks after TDU isn't it?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
try telling that to the Canadians

same sh*t as Australia - not formed as a country til 1901, yet somehow celebrated 200 years back in 1988...

We celebrated 200 years since the arrival of the First Fleet in 1988 ;)

Dec 5, 2010
twitter.com
joe_papp said:
Your basis for this insight being???

My basis for this opinion is that in just over 2 years since the .org site went live they have achieved nothing aside from selling product. Can you honestly give me an example where Bike-Pure have had any impact at all on doping regulation / investigation / punishment?

Yes, it's a really nice idea, yes I think it makes people feel better by making it appear something is being done but Bike-Pure have no power, no status to earn power and very little to no chance of ever making a real change to Cycling within the current set-up.

But, I would love to hear of any experience you have with them and why you think they can make a change in Cycling.

Media passes get handed out to non-media specific individuals more often than people realize. It all depends on what the venue is, and who is handing out the passes.

The way cycling works though this shouldn't mean that much. If Andy and Myles wish to make a splash down under they could definitely still show up with a camcorder, pencil and paper and interview cyclists and officials at hotels, or out mingling with fans. This would actually be the wisest thing they could do at this point if you ask me. Show up, make an announcement that they were denied media pass but were not going to be deterred, then hound officials and a few riders and management, and put the results on their website, and snippets on YouTube for the world to see. Neither guy seems that aggressive to me, but maybe they do have it in them. If there ever was a time for them to make something happen from an adverse situation, it's now.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Bike Pure are a joke of an organisation and this proves it.

They do not qualify for a press pass - the carrying on is a joke and not professional.

If they do race reports etc, then yes, they should get a press pass, but they don't. So they won't get one.

It's black and white.

They are not a media organisation. Therefore no press pass.

A

Anonymous

Velocentric said:
My basis for this opinion is that in just over 2 years since the .org site went live they have achieved nothing aside from selling product. Can you honestly give me an example where Bike-Pure have had any impact at all on doping regulation / investigation / punishment?

Yes, it's a really nice idea, yes I think it makes people feel better by making it appear something is being done but Bike-Pure have no power, no status to earn power and very little to no chance of ever making a real change to Cycling within the current set-up.

But, I would love to hear of any experience you have with them and why you think they can make a change in Cycling.

See im very torn on this one. Bikepure have only been around a couple of years, and its probably a bit soon to see what sort of impact they can have. Of course, any impact that they can have is dramatically reduced by the fact that the UCI view them as unnessasary as there isnt a problem. :D

I think, once the lance stories come to fruition and the likes of Greg Lemond start to get taken seriously by the mainstream press, the likes of bikepure can have more impact.

one thing that bothers me is the line thats get bandied around, "they have achieved nothing aside from selling product". When you mention wristbands, dot org's and money whats the first thing that springs to mind.. Livestrong. I do worry that the fraud that is livestrong rubs off on other organisations. :/

I dont know what money they make, only Andy can answer that one, but im assuming its pretty minimal. Yes, they charge for the bands, but by the same token, if you are attending a race and wish to go along to promote bikepure, they send you masses of bands, tshirt and promo material free. So its swings and roundabouts.

can bikepure have an impact. maybe. Ive certainly met at races with local clubs, and talked to them about bikepure, and all the clubs without question have seen it as a positive to teach the kids in the club that its possible without doping. And i think thats where bike pure needs to focus its efforts. On the next generation of riders (and its noticable that most of the pro bike pure role models are of the younger generation).

I dont think they can change cycling, but, i think if they continue to target the young riders, to educate them, with having the new young pros as role models, and get publicity from the likes of Greg Lemond, then while they may not be able to change things, they can certainly make a contribution.

At least they are trying. At a time when everyone is happy to critisize the UCI, Teams and everyone else, i think we should at least support those who are trying to make a difference.

One thing I do know about bikepure is if you have ideas, things they should do, better ways of doing things, constructive critisism.. They listen.

TeamSkyFans said:
See im very torn on this one. Bikepure have only been around a couple of years, and its probably a bit soon to see what sort of impact they can have. Of course, any impact that they can have is dramatically reduced by the fact that the UCI view them as unnessasary as there isnt a problem. :D

I think, once the lance stories come to fruition and the likes of Greg Lemond start to get taken seriously by the mainstream press, the likes of bikepure can have more impact.

one thing that bothers me is the line thats get bandied around, "they have achieved nothing aside from selling product". When you mention wristbands, dot org's and money whats the first thing that springs to mind.. Livestrong. I do worry that the fraud that is livestrong rubs off on other organisations. :/

I dont know what money they make, only Andy can answer that one, but im assuming its pretty minimal. Yes, they charge for the bands, but by the same token, if you are attending a race and wish to go along to promote bikepure, they send you masses of bands, tshirt and promo material free. So its swings and roundabouts.

can bikepure have an impact. maybe. Ive certainly met at races with local clubs, and talked to them about bikepure, and all the clubs without question have seen it as a positive to teach the kids in the club that its possible without doping. And i think thats where bike pure needs to focus its efforts. On the next generation of riders (and its noticable that most of the pro bike pure role models are of the younger generation).

I dont think they can change cycling, but, i think if they continue to target the young riders, to educate them, with having the new young pros as role models, and get publicity from the likes of Greg Lemond, then while they may not be able to change things, they can certainly make a contribution.

At least they are trying. At a time when everyone is happy to critisize the UCI, Teams and everyone else, i think we should at least support those who are trying to make a difference.

One thing I do know about bikepure is if you have ideas, things they should do, better ways of doing things, constructive critisism.. They listen.

A wholehearted +1.

Dec 5, 2010
twitter.com
I think we can all agree on the problem being the UCI and their inability to admit that Cycling still has doping problems. Unless, of course, they can use those doping problems to ensure that one of their preferred riders gets a leg-up on the competition (odds of Andy Schleck taking the TdF this year with AC still out on suspension?), I'll bet Pat is seen driving a nice new Mercedes soon.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Worries me that the TDU is becoming less about being a bike race and more about a being a celeb show.

While coming from a similar perspective and sharing your concerns, my father-in-law is an Ossie, I doubt has ever ridden a bike in anger in his life, but was over last Spring (UK) and knew all about TDU and i was able to have a reasonablly intelligent conversation with him about bike racing.

The reason he knew about it was because of the marketing and promotion and the circus that comes with a certain individual. So the promoters have done the job of getting people aware.

On balance even given the bad smell that comes with a certain celeb rider I decided this was probably good for grass roots cycling in Oz, but we'll see how it handles the inevitable ****storm|* that is heading the sports way.

And let's be fair - I thought last year's TDU and surrounding was pretty entertaining; Sky got a 1-2 in their first, admittedly lame, race, Cadel made it clear he was going to honour the rainbow jersey, and a fair no of the big names were pretty animated, even if Valv was making the most of it before he was pinged.

(*just to be clear - it is a ****storm that has to be dealt with IMO at least then we will have our house in order, even if every other sport, bar track and field, remains in denial)