• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike-Tent

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
This doesn't seem like it would be very stable.
BikeTentdif.jpg

Bike-Tent

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
good idea, poorly implemented.
the idea of taking a sheet of canvas on a bike tour and turning it into a tent is quite compelling.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
It might work if you for short time use. You would have a place to change clothes for instance if you want to go swimming, or have some protection from the sun during peak hours if you want to hang out at the beach.
Does it fold small enough to fit in the back pocket of a cycling jersey?

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Actually, looks reasonably stable to me. Those guys going over the bars should keep it so.
If the idea is to have a lightweight tent with at least a little headroom and only one small pole, that's not a bad design.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pretty clearly isn't trying to claim that it protects the bike, its just removing an alloy pole from the packweight for a cycle tourist.

To my mind the much bigger issue is that there is no obvious reinforcement to the material passing over the bar ends. If you have a windy day then even though the structure is stable, there WILL be movement at this contact point.

If the bars are even remotely like mine then it would only take a few nights to damage the material quite badly - if not puncture it entirely, making the entire tent potentially fail

(I spent years on rockclimbing and cross-country skiing trips in a tent much smaller and lower than this incidentally. for certain types of use this tent is great)

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
mmmm... in principle not bad, but I agree with a lot of the comments. Just how stable will this be?

In Dragon Den style - "I'm out!" ;)