• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bjarne Riis Fired from Tinkov-Saxo Team!?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:
Broccolidwarf said:
LaFlorecita said:
"The team looks forward to continuing receiving the support of his fans both on the road and on its social media platforms."

They are just rubbing it in now :eek:

I would be very surprised to see Contador stay with the team for next season, when Riis is not there - his professionalism does not really gel well with the antics of the vodka clown.

It will also be interesting to see how Saxo Bank reacts, if they pull their sponsorship or stick it out.... they are a very conservative company, targeting high end investors, which is probably problematic with the vodka clown dragging their brand down almost daily in social media.

Saxo Bank owner Lars Seier just made a statement that he intents to continue the sponsorship for the rest of the season. But he also make it clear, that it is Bjarne Riis that is one of the biggest factors for the sponsorship.

I don't think they can pull out during the season, but they sure as hell aren't continuing after this season.

Lars Seier is like Tinkov a very clever businessman. He knows that pulling out now would damage the companys reputation and i'm not sure that he even could. The only difference between them is that Lars Seier doesn't get involved in any sports decision at all. Perfect guy for Riis. Im quite sure that they'll continue next year, but only if they can be at WT level withing 2 years I think. He is also sponsoring the danish Formula driver Marco Sørensen and the Lotus F1 team.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
I expect Bjarne to be fired, with Tinkov himself taking on the triple role of owner-manager-GC rider. Contador and Sagan relegated to domestiques.

OMG the first part is reality now, but I doubt the second part is correct. Contador could announce retirement anytime now but most likely will do it after a poor Giro showing (top 5 maybe). As to Sagan, he can still chase his green jersey in the Tour.

ICEROCK said:
SeriousSam said:
I expect Bjarne to be fired, with Tinkov himself taking on the triple role of owner-manager-GC rider. Contador and Sagan relegated to domestiques.

OMG the first part is reality now, but I doubt the second part is correct. Contador could announce retirement anytime now but most likely will do it after a poor Giro showing (top 5 maybe). As to Sagan, he can still chase his green jersey in the Tour.

I don't see that - AC has said he wants to leave at the top of the sport. Why you think he'll have a poor Giro showing, I do not know. But I suspect he may not ride next year, after all, if there is a way out of his contract.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

ICEROCK said:
SeriousSam said:

Nah mate. Don't judge Contador by your own standards. I dare say you would quit in his position. Luckily for us he does not have your mentality.

ICEROCK said:
SeriousSam said:

He is not retiring.

But, my guess is Fernando Alonso just found his team director, for the team captained by Contador in 2016 ;)

People talking about Team Cult, Riis and Saxo Bank, don't understand marketing.... there is no way in hell Saxo Bank would have their brand associated with a company, that makes energy drinks and alcoholic drinks targeted at teens.... and also, the Team Cult owners are not exactly Riis fans.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Broccolidwarf said:
But, my guess is Fernando Alonso just found his team director, for the team captained by Contador in 2016 ;)

Hahaha, Alonso just found a team director ... we all know Team Alonso will never happen. That loser has enough of his own worries including getting fired from Ferrari and getting hurt in a crash.

What may happen, or at least I wish would happen, is Tinkov hiring Paolo Bettini as his team manager :eek:

Not surprised at all-this was an accident waiting to happen sooner than later. Riis has his own pride/ego & knows well how to manage a successful team, so for him to put up with all the Tinkov's BS was too much to tolerate, and at this point of his career, not needed.

Not blaming him at all- in fact is the best way to step out of the sport completely without the burden of failure or more shadows casting him for clinic matters.

What if Riis went to MTN Qhubeka? perhaps IAM? what about........ KATUSHA?

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

hfer07 said:
Not surprised at all-this was an accident waiting to happen sooner than later. Riis has his own pride/ego & knows well how to manage a successful team, so for him to put up with all the Tinkov's BS was too much to tolerate, and at this point of his career, not needed.

Not blaming him at all- in fact is the best way to step out of the sport completely without the burden of failure or more shadows casting him for clinic matters.

What if Riis went to MTN Qhubeka? perhaps IAM? what about........ KATUSHA?

Why not join Astana? They don't mind another villain in the team. Just imagine Riis and Vino holding the trophy of Tour together. LOL