• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Blanco-Belkin

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on the back of searching belkin, i found some of their products and decided to buy them. I might send them an email to tell them that I've purchased products as a direct result of seeing them sponsor a pro cycling team

observer said:
on the back of searching belkin, i found some of their products and decided to buy them. I might send them an email to tell them that I've purchased products as a direct result of seeing them sponsor a pro cycling team

I did the same to Garmin, when Vaughters tweeted about telling Garmin I bought their product because of the cycling team
but for Belkin, I don't use smartphone, i-pad, i-phone, i-wtf. so maybe I'll buy a wireless router for home.

theyoungest said:
I had never even heard of Belkin before last month, I think most Europeans have no idea who Belkin are, so in terms of brand recognition I think this is a smart step.

When you say European do you mean continental, UK or both? I dislike splitting them up, I find I have more in common with continental Europeans than most of my countrymen, but I'm UK based and have known the name for a long time, although I'm fairly IT literate so that may have an impact too.

King Boonen said:
When you say European do you mean continental, UK or both? I dislike splitting them up, I find I have more in common with continental Europeans than most of my countrymen, but I'm UK based and have known the name for a long time, although I'm fairly IT literate so that may have an impact too.
Yeah, continental Europeans. Although I'm not sure there's much difference in this case.

But the reaction I heard most about this new sponsor was 'huh? who?'. Not a very thorough market research, I admit. But it says something.

theyoungest said:
Yeah, continental Europeans. Although I'm not sure there's much difference in this case.

But the reaction I heard most about this new sponsor was 'huh? who?'. Not a very thorough market research, I admit. But it says something.

Maybe. I've used Belkin routers for years now, although I've not bought a router in the past 4-5 years, and have recommended them to people before so I'm guessing it's more my immersion in IT.

Strangely I don't recognise the green they are using from any of their product packaging so I think it must be a re-branding, or my memory is poor.

I also remember a company using orange and blue on their packaging that was fairly similar to the old Rabbobank colours, just a shade darker. It would be funny if that was Belkin...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
belkin is a pretty well known brand for wireless utilities like routers etc. Many many people have them in europe... also netherlands/belgium

Yep, but for the 'common people' it's not a very well known brand.

I had an IT job for 4 years about 7 years ago so I'm familiar with the brand, but I'm quite sure a lot of people ain't even aware they got a belkin router at home, while they got one. They know they got a router... but which brand.. no idea :)

So I agree with theyoungest, this will certainly make them a well known brand compared to an rather unknown brand.

manafana said:
know belkin for their routers not sure what else they might have up their product range.

i knew them from routers and their stands/covers for tablets of iphone and samsung.
just looked on their site, they actually make a lot of other nice stuff. Not fan of their routers (cheap and unreliable), but i like some of the other products, might try it

Dazed and Confused said:
Wouldn't make any sense switching at this time, unless Giant plans a big push into the German market.
Team Belkin's future is still a bit unsure. Rabobank still pays part of the money, if their contractual obligations end Belkin (the sponsor) will have to step up.

Giant have a clause in their contract which would make it possible for them to leave before July 1st.

theyoungest said:
Team Belkin's future is still a bit unsure. Rabobank still pays part of the money, if their contractual obligations end Belkin (the sponsor) will have to step up.

Giant have a clause in their contract which would make it possible for them to leave before July 1st.[/]

that seems unlikely. is Rabo paying also the riders who signed a contract with them for 2014?
belkin is in until 2015
how long does the GIANT bike supply deal is supposed to last? (I mean, last time it was re-signed, I guess the team was still called Rabo, so maybe until 2014?)

pastronef said:
that seems unlikely. is Rabo paying also the riders who signed a contract with them for 2014?
belkin is in until 2015
how long does the GIANT bike supply deal is supposed to last? (I mean, last time it was re-signed, I guess the team was still called Rabo, so maybe until 2014?)
It's not been revealed who pays what, but I've read it's 50/50 between Belkin and Rabo, for next year at least.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Good, then they finally have an excuse to lower the salaries of the overpaid Dutch riders (with the exclusion of Mollema)
Boom was even too expensive for Sky... then you know you're overpaid.

theyoungest said:
It's not been revealed who pays what, but I've read it's 50/50 between Belkin and Rabo, for next year at least.

Boom was even too expensive for Sky... then you know you're overpaid.

anyway, it is strange for a co-sponsor to announce on July 1st (during the Tour) that they'll leave theit current team to sponsor another for next year.
I mean Giant is making a lot of advertising with Blanco and now Belkin, so why announce they'll leave them now?

pastronef said:
anyway, it is strange for a co-sponsor to announce on July 1st (during the Tour) that they'll leave theit current team to sponsor another for next year.
I mean Giant is making a lot of advertising with Blanco and now Belkin, so why announce they'll leave them now?
They haven't announced anything, Telegraaf journo Raymond Kerckhoffs reported it. Same guy who got the Belkin scoop.

Marketing-wise it would be a stupid choice IMO. Belkin gets the most exposure by far, in Holland at least. And in Germany cycling doesn't get exposure anyway :p

theyoungest said:
They haven't announced anything, Telegraaf journo Raymond Kerckhoffs reported it. Same guy who got the Belkin scoop.

Marketing-wise it would be a stupid choice IMO. Belkin gets the most exposure by far, in Holland at least. And in Germany cycling doesn't get exposure anyway :p

Not that i speak dutch but i follow him on twitter. :eek:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Giant likes the long-time steady sponsors, like ONCE, T-Mobile/Telekom and Rabo. That's their marketing strategy in pro cycling. So even though Belkin just came in, their committment to cycling is still unknown.

If the pattern continues, I'd guess Giant would move to either Euskatel or FDJ. Euskatel is now the longest continuing sponsor after Rabo.

TheEnoculator said:
Giant likes the long-time steady sponsors, like ONCE, T-Mobile/Telekom and Rabo. That's their marketing strategy in pro cycling. So even though Belkin just came in, their committment to cycling is still unknown.

If the pattern continues, I'd guess Giant would move to either Euskatel or FDJ. Euskatel is now the longest continuing sponsor after Rabo.

Euskaltel is the longest continuing sponsor, but every year they do not know about the next, and they are bonded with Orbea.
FDJ has renewed with Lapierre until end 2014

TRENDING THREADS