• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bob Jungels Discussion Thread

Bob Jungels
23 years old
Team Etixx Quickstep

His carreer highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PI2ZtAXT1Y

6145-2GTyfDPn0kDBT8ijpU6bJw.jpg

Bob Jungels was several times winner of the Luxembourgish National Championships Road Race and Time Trail but he hadn't a thread so in this way I created and we may not forget he has some serious chances on a good overall qualification this Giro d'Italia.

Wins:
3* Luxembourgish National Champion Road Race
2* Luxembourgish National Champion Time Trail
1* Stage Tour of Oman
1* GP Nobili Rubinetterie
1* Stage Etoile de Bessèges
1* GC Etoile de Bessèges
1* Stage tour de Luxembourg

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Bob needs to get to know himself a little bit better. He's never going to do well in a GT and at best he'll become a 2nd rate contender for TT heavy week long stage races. If he'd only realize he can't climb to save his life and adjust his goals accordingly, he'd be an amazing rider.

Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Bob needs to get to know himself a little bit better. He's never going to do well in a GT and at best he'll become a 2nd rate contender for TT heavy week long stage races. If he'd only realize he can't climb to save his life and adjust his goals accordingly, he'd be an amazing rider.

Every little kid dreams of winning the Tour apart from the Italians and Belgians. Can't blame him for trying to ride the GC.

Also, refreshing that he is honest. I like that trait very much in bike riders. I am a fan.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Every little kid dreams of winning the Tour apart from the Italians and Belgians. Can't blame him for trying to ride the GC

But he isn't a little kid anymore. He should have realized that he isn't built for winning GT's a long time ago......

Don't get me wrong, I like him, that's why I'm frustrated by his choice to focus on the GC. He could be a beast, but instead he chooses to be a 3rd rate wheel following boring GC rider. :(

I'm probably overreacting a little bit, but I was really amazed at his U23 racing and his year as a neo pro looked solid too. His wins and other good results have always come through stage hunting/attacking in hilly terrain. Even this year in Oman. And he's consistently disappointed in the real mountains for a few years now......

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Almost every time Bob Jungels is discussed, people say he chose the wrong focus, and that he should do classics instead of stage races and GT's. I assume that this is mostly based on his performances as a U23 rider, when he won Paris-Roubaix Espoirs. But the same year he won two stage races (Triptyque des Monts et Châteaux and Flèche du Sud), as well as a Mountain stage in Giro della Valle d'Aosta Mont Blanc, and finished 2nd overall of Giro del Friuli Venezia Giulia. Also some people have commented that, in the Espoirs category, if you have a superior "motor" so to speak, it is perfectly possible to race for the win in classics like Paris-Roubaix Espoirs without being a typical classics rider.

While it is clear that he is not a born climber, I think he has proven that he is at the very least capable of holding his own in the mountains. Also he has shown that he is capable of excelling in the third week of a GT. I may be wrong in this but I really see him as a poor man's Dumoulin, but of course he is also two years younger than Dumoulin. And Dumoulin has shown some amazing stuff in GT's. So if he can improve his ITT and his climbing, which I have no doubt that he can, he might be able to reach the level of Dumoulin in a few years. Then give him a good parcours and I'd be really interested in seeing what he can do in a GT, or Paris-Nice, Tour de Suisse, Romandie, Pologne....

Let's not forget he already finished 6th in Tour de Suisse. Of course with his strengths he is not the most exciting rider for us fans to watch, but I do think he has a legitimate chance of winning the most important one-week races, and even competing for GT's in a few years.

Notwithstanding this discussion, I tip my hat to him for his great Giro so far, and for the maglia bianca! Hopefully he can carry it all the way to the finish. Also he is a very driven, motivated and professional athlete. He moved away from home for better training grounds, and he left Trek for Etixx which was the only right choice to make IMO. So in that sense I believe he has all the necessary attributes for greatness, now we just need to see what his physical capabilities are.

Christian said:
Almost every time Bob Jungels is discussed, people say he chose the wrong focus, and that he should do classics instead of stage races and GT's. I assume that this is mostly based on his performances as a U23 rider, when he won Paris-Roubaix Espoirs. But the same year he won two stage races (Triptyque des Monts et Châteaux and Flèche du Sud), as well as a Mountain stage in Giro della Valle d'Aosta Mont Blanc, and finished 2nd overall of Giro del Friuli Venezia Giulia. Also some people have commented that, in the Espoirs category, if you have a superior "motor" so to speak, it is perfectly possible to race for the win in classics like Paris-Roubaix Espoirs without being a typical classics rider.

While it is clear that he is not a born climber, I think he has proven that he is at the very least capable of holding his own in the mountains. Also he has shown that he is capable of excelling in the third week of a GT. I may be wrong in this but I really see him as a poor man's Dumoulin, but of course he is also two years younger than Dumoulin. And Dumoulin has shown some amazing stuff in GT's. So if he can improve his ITT and his climbing, which I have no doubt that he can, he might be able to reach the level of Dumoulin in a few years. Then give him a good parcours and I'd be really interested in seeing what he can do in a GT, or Paris-Nice, Tour de Suisse, Romandie, Pologne....

Let's not forget he already finished 6th in Tour de Suisse. Of course with his strengths he is not the most exciting rider for us fans to watch, but I do think he has a legitimate chance of winning the most important one-week races, and even competing for GT's in a few years.

Notwithstanding this discussion, I tip my hat to him for his great Giro so far, and for the maglia bianca! Hopefully he can carry it all the way to the finish. Also he is a very driven, motivated and professional athlete. He moved away from home for better training grounds, and he left Trek for Etixx which was the only right choice to make IMO. So in that sense I believe he has all the necessary attributes for greatness, now we just need to see what his physical capabilities are.
Yeah,I base it on winning Paris-Roubaix Espoirs.
Though Wiggins peaked for P-R and was pretty good.Tony Martin was also pretty good in P-R.

StryderHells said:
CheckMyPecs said:
It's not like he's ever shown the tiniest glimpse of promise in a monument.

HIs career best is 84th in the 2013 Paris-Roubaix.

I could see him featuring in an edition of L-B-L if given the chance and also L-B-L was his best monument performance with a huge 62nd :D
He was a domestique in L-B-L.Also he had Some pretty good results in less harder races.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
CheckMyPecs said:
It's not like he's ever shown the tiniest glimpse of promise in a monument.

HIs career best is 84th in the 2013 Paris-Roubaix.

I could see him featuring in an edition of L-B-L if given the chance and also L-B-L was his best monument performance with a huge 62nd :D
Some should update Wikipedia then. :D

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:

Yes and let's not forget Tony Martin was 4th in Suisse and won Paris-Nice. I also think Tony Martin wasted a couple of years by trying to be a stage racer. The TdS where Jungels became 6th featured one mountain in which Jungels lost 3 minutes to the winner and it also featured more than 40km of TT.

I'd be very surprised if Jungels takes home the maglia bianca. I don't think he'll be able to hold his own against, say, Formolo when the real mountains come.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Christian said:

Yes and let's not forget Tony Martin was 4th in Suisse and won Paris-Nice. I also think Tony Martin wasted a couple of years by trying to be a stage racer. The TdS where Jungels became 6th featured one mountain in which Jungels lost 3 minutes to the winner and it also featured more than 40km of TT.

I'd be very surprised if Jungels takes home the maglia bianca. I don't think he'll be able to hold his own against, say, Formolo when the real mountains come.

On the other hand, finished ahead of the Nibali/Contador/Mollema/Majka/Kruijswijk/Bardet/Gesink group on Alpe d'Huez in last stage of 2015 Tour (not being part of a break) after a week where he was almost there in the breakways or where he was pacing Mollema in the mountains. (Col d'Allos / Pra Loup)

Christian said:

The Tryptique Monts & Châteaux is a cobbled stage race, with the infamous Côte du Beau-Site.

Jungels is 68kg. He should be able to race Paris-Roubaix with the pros. No excuses.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
Christian said:

The Tryptique Monts & Châteaux is a cobbled stage race, with the infamous Côte du Beau-Site.

Jungels is 68kg. He should be able to race Paris-Roubaix with the pros. No excuses.
jungels is over 70 kg (71-72)

Ryo Hazuki said:
Echoes said:
Christian said:

jungels is over 70 kg (71-72)

Even better. Although I don't personally think he'll be able to win, he has the scope to do well. He is still very young, and talented. He could take his career many ways and have many top 10 performances - but I am not sure which is the best course for him to take many wins.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
BFP is to cyclists what the bench press is to weight lifters: everyone says they're much better than they really are.

You can maintain 4% body fat for a few hours, for example to appear on a bodybuilding contest, but there's no way a human being can maintain 4% body fat for three weeks, let alone do it while burning through 6,000 calories a day.

If you believe in such quackery, I have some New Age Cosmic Energy Pyramids to sell to you.

TRENDING THREADS