• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bob Jungels Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
What does Andy know about winning GTs?
ASchleck2.jpg

If he had kept his form to 2012-2013 we probably would have seen a lot of attacks like this.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by him this Giro, his climbing is much better than I thought it would be. I like the fact that he's also riding quite actively. Not just hanging on trying not to lose to much time, but he takes responsibility and goes when he sees a chance. :)

Now 6th in the Overall and only one mountain stage left. Who would've thought that he could finish that high up in the standings? Top 20 for sure but almost Top 5? He made another huge jump in his developement since joining Etixx. Great move by Lefevere. Everybody was talking about Kittel and Dan Martin during the winter but Jungels turns out to be just as valuable. Well, ... almost.

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm becoming quite fond of him. He's never affraid to attack, never afraid to pull and has a massive engine. Great TT, strong on the flat and suprisingly good uphill. Strong third week says a lot about his recovery also.

Well, I should've seen that coming... Week or two ago I saw Ryo's statements that Bob is not a climber and is overated.

What a fantastic Giro he has had so far. I always believed he should focus more on classics and forget stage racing but I and probably many others have been proven wrong. Really good climbing ability for such a big guy. He already looks very skinny, could he lose a kilogram or two without losing power? If so he would become scary

He has been putting in terrific performances all giro. Working for Kittel the first few stages, nice TT's, Asolo and Sestola were very nice from a spectators pov. He knows he can't keep up with Chavez, Kruijswijk etc but he'll just ride his own tempo and give his all during the descent and the flat in between mountains.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, out of all Giro he is by far the biggest surprise. With some luck I think Kruisjwik/Chaves could have podiumed, but for Jungels to finish top 6th? Dude, if he actually trains properly for GT's now he could become the new Luxembourg hope.

After Andy left I have big nostalagia for no Luxembourg stage racers, well Bob you are our saviour.

Re:

Gloin22 said:
Honestly, out of all Giro he is by far the biggest surprise. With some luck I think Kruisjwik/Chaves could have podiumed, but for Jungels to finish top 6th? Dude, if he actually trains properly for GT's now he could become the new Luxembourg hope.

After Andy left I have big nostalagia for no Luxembourg stage racers, well Bob you are our saviour.

Honestly, I am not sure if I see him as future GT winner. Climbing is very respectable but unless he develops it a lot (possibility considering his age) he will not be contending for the win. Will be interesting though to see how he and Dumoulin fare in future GTs

Some people speculated if he would ride the Tour this year but he said that his next races are the national championships and after that the Tour of Poland. He also said that he probably won't start in Rio, cause he "won't have a chance against the guys coming from the Tour". But that part is not certain yet. I'm glad he gets his well deserved rest is not overraced by his team like some other riders have been in the past. Kwiatkowski and Alaphilippe in their breakout-seasons at Etixx were clearly too tired by the end of the year. Maybe he can attack again in the fall. In this thread someone even asked if he could do well in the Vuelta ... with his current race schedule that could at least be a possibility.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Ricco' said:
I think he should nevertheless go to the Olympics. He could still do a decent time trial and let's face it, Luxembourg doesn't have another viable option for his place, even without Tour prep.

What do you mean by viable? It's gonna be a lone starter anyways, it's only about participating and trying to make it to the finish in an honorable fashion and nothing else. It will most likely be decided between Fränk Schleck and Ben Gastauer

JRanton said:
He rode a great Giro but has barely raced since. Does anyone know why?

Focusing on his time trial.

Will return for the ITT of the European Championships, followed by the Eneco Tour and then the World ITT Championships. All are big goals for him.

He is scheduled to do the Grand Prix de Wallonie tomorrow, maybe to get some race rhythm in his legs ahead of the following TT.

Great ride today, at least he was one of the very few people who tried to do something other than sprinting for 2nd place. Will be really interesting to see where he can finish in this massively stacked Giro next month. He may not be the most explosive but a steady climber and also gifted with incredible regeneration. He is always one of the strongest riders in the third week of GTs. I hope he can defend his white jersey but it will be hard with the Yates at the race.

Before the Giro, what about Romandie? From what I've seen from the profiles there aren't big mountains this year, two uphill finishes but very shallow gradients, if I'm correct. That plus the one and a half time-trial, it's a great opportunity.

TRENDING THREADS