• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bob Roll interviewed on the Armstrong scandal.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No need to watch, summary: "Wow I'm shocked to read about the LA allegations! In all my years in professional cycling, I find it hard to believe it could've happened but the evidence is so damning"

What you wont hear is what Bob should really be saying:

"Yea, doping went on. I'm not surprised, after all, his results trumphed everyone else and you know, frankly, he was not that good of a rider when I first knew him. Couldn't believe the change that went on. I'll give you this though - he was one of the hardest working guys on the bike in terms of training effort"

Until that speech happens, Bob Roll is just a liar and should be thrown off the air.

red_flanders said:
I was shocked at his reaction. Seemed very candid except the part where he said he was shocked by the evidence. I find that rather hard to believe.

I was also surprised how openly Bob was speaking. I am sure nobody directly told him they were juicing, however he had to have known.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Serious guys. Park, Var Tools, Pedro's, anybody. Somebody out there needs to make this...

Bob Roll, the ultimate tool.

Think of the success. It could be marketed as a heavy duty mini-tool. :D

SlantParallelogram said:
I was also surprised how openly Bob was speaking. I am sure nobody directly told him they were juicing, however he had to have known.

Bob is either a fool or a liar, and I don't believe he is one of those.

Bob raced in Europe, and in mtb when doping hit (which always has had cross-cultural exposure to recreational drug use).

Here is Tomac on the subject (during the same time period when Bob switched from one to the other):

When I was road racing as a pro in Europe in 1990 and 1991, I knew it was not on the level...Then it crept into mountain bike racing which sucked...

Dave.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If someone uses the word "shocked" to describe the USADA report, they might as well slap the sticker on their forehead, "I support doping."

Guys like Roll are exactly what's wrong with cycling.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Bob raced in Europe, and in mtb when doping hit (which always has had cross-cultural exposure to recreational drug use).

Here is Tomac on the subject (during the same time period when Bob switched from one to the other):

When I was road racing as a pro in Europe in 1990 and 1991, I knew it was not on the level...Then it crept into mountain bike racing which sucked...

Dave.

Wasn't it Chiotti who won the 1996 Worlds MTB one year only to admit to being full of prep and publicly giving his Worlds jersey to Thomas Frischknecht ....
Also in 1996, Rolf Aldag, Udo Bölts, Brian Holm, Levi Leipheimer, Bjarne Riis, Filippo Simeoni and Erik Zabel all prepped and were caught or admitted it... no, Bob, you must have been hitting the bong big time if you seemed to forget that..

shocked!

TheEnoculator said:
If someone uses the word "shocked" to describe the USADA report, they might as well slap the sticker on their forehead, "I support doping."

Guys like Roll are exactly what's wrong with cycling.

are such observers rob roll , stuey etc shocked at the evidence in the usada
report...............or shocked that perpetrators have been 'found out'

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dave.

Maybe he is both a fool and a liar. He's just one of many who are "shocked" by the USADA report. Did he use the old, cycling needs to move forward line?
I for one am enjoying watching the reactions. As each responds it is easy to see which side of the fence they are on.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Bushranger said:
Maybe he is both a fool and a liar. He's just one of many who are "shocked" by the USADA report. . . .

To be totally fair to Bob, the interviewer handed him a loaded question: "What did you find suspicious?" and the interview was only about one minute. Not enough time to really say anything. But I see two sides to this, so read on.

orangerider said:
No need to watch, summary: "Wow I'm shocked to read about the LA allegations! In all my years in professional cycling, I find it hard to believe it could've happened but the evidence is so damning"

What you wont hear is what Bob should really be saying:

"Yea, doping went on. I'm not surprised, after all, his results trumphed everyone else and you know, frankly, he was not that good of a rider when I first knew him. Couldn't believe the change that went on. I'll give you this though - he was one of the hardest working guys on the bike in terms of training effort" . . .
As DQ points out in the next quote below, Bob went to Europe early. Just like Parkin wrote about, Bob would have seen what was going on. I agree with you.

D-Queued said:

Dave.
Thanks for the link, Dave! Nice catch. Good to hear from Tomac. Always wondered what happened to him.

purcell said:
Roll is one of the originals.

Mildly talented and his career lasted longer than it ever should have.

I wonder how ??

Well, we do have to admit that Bob was an animal. Lance was supposed to be the guy who rode when nobody else was out, but I guarantee he was just trying to catch Bob - who had hit the trails 3 hours earlier.

Given all that, Roll lived in a tent, and survived on peanut butter so he could ride in Europe. And he has been an apologist for many years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had done the occasional HGH hit.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
bozo.jpg

Bob Roll....what a clown!

For what it's worth, I still think Bob Roll is an okay guy. Sure he is faking being shocked and probably knew what was going on all along, yet there are many others who are doing the same.

I always hated his cheerleading for Lance Pharmstrong in the tour. However in other races where Pharmstrong wasn't racing, I always enjoyed Bob's commentary.

When Armstrong came in second in the 2009 Tour, Roll said Lance would come back the next year stronger than ever because "as we all know, no one recovers better than Lance Armstrong".

By "recover" he meant no one can ride day after day in the Tour like Lance because his powers of recovery are the stuff of legend.

He said it with such a smarmy look on his face, as if another Tour win in 2010 was all but guaranteed that it illustrates how much perspective he'd lost when commentating on him.

What he should have said was, "I'm disappointed Lance was caught. I'd invested so much of my own persona in believing the myth that I have no idea where my head ends and his rear end begins".

hiero2 said:
To be totally fair to Bob, the interviewer handed him a loaded question: "What did you find suspicious?" and the interview was only about one minute. Not enough time to really say anything. But I see two sides to this, so read on.

As DQ points out in the next quote below, Bob went to Europe early. Just like Parkin wrote about, Bob would have seen what was going on. I agree with you.

Thanks for the link, Dave! Nice catch. Good to hear from Tomac. Always wondered what happened to him.

Well, we do have to admit that Bob was an animal. Lance was supposed to be the guy who rode when nobody else was out, but I guarantee he was just trying to catch Bob - who had hit the trails 3 hours earlier.

Given all that, Roll lived in a tent, and survived on peanut butter so he could ride in Europe. And he has been an apologist for many years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had done the occasional HGH hit.

Which underlines the fact that every American since Lemond and Hampsten has been a confederacy of dunces.

Any examples otherwise... ?

Not post or poster specific, just asking the clinic in general.

Is there an American, or from any country, that we feel is truly clean?

TRENDING THREADS