• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

body fat

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
just wondering if anybody on here knows an acceptable body fat level for a normal person as opposed to a pro. i february i was 174lb with a bmi of 28 and a body fat levels of 26.6%. 7 weeks later i am 154.3lb and have a bmi of 25.1 and body fat of 22.9%. i am 5ft 6in tall and want to know how far is ok to go with bmi and body fat. i dont race but have entered a couple of sportives so far at end of this month and begining of next.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
skellster said:
just wondering if anybody on here knows an acceptable body fat level for a normal person as opposed to a pro. i february i was 174lb with a bmi of 28 and a body fat levels of 26.6%. 7 weeks later i am 154.3lb and have a bmi of 25.1 and body fat of 22.9%. i am 5ft 6in tall and want to know how far is ok to go with bmi and body fat. i dont race but have entered a couple of sportives so far at end of this month and begining of next.

BMI is not necessarily the best guide for determining whether or not you are overweight, but it provides a guide. For instance, I have a stocky build and my BMI is 28 with 15% body fat. I wouldn't call myself overweight, but according to the BMI guidelines I am borderline overweight.

In regards to body fat %, the professionals will vary throughout the year. Wiggins was apparently at 4% for the TdF, but admitted this was unhealthy and unsustainable year round. You should check out Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight: How To Get Lean For Peak Performance". He estimates that a competitive cyclist should have a % body fat of around 10-12%. He also included a table to show where you are at compared to the general population in terms of body fat % and age. The book is an excellent guideline in how to achieve weight loss, the type of nutrition you should be eating and when, and how to avoid pitfalls.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Elapid's source, 10-12% bodyfat is a sustainable target for a cyclist, and when peaking for a high-priority race, it may be worth temporarily getting a little bit lighter (say 6-8%). Any lighter and you'd probably need a full-time nutritionist. :)

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
you certainly live upto your name. i think if i get my bodyfat down to 15 or less i will be so thin i will look ill. i will keep trying anyway. thanks

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Fat burning is essential to every health and fitness program.I would like to give one advise that Be Patient When Trying to Burn Fat by Exercise. Too much fat can lead to health problems like heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol and other serious conditions.

TRENDING THREADS