• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bolt: 9:58 Now that`s fast.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
100m
2009 9:58
2008 9:69 (without trying for the last 30-40 m)
2007 10:03

200m
2008: 19:30
2007: 19:75

He has had some huge performance gains from 2007 to 2008.

Maybe he had cancer?

Discuss.

A

Anonymous

Bolt is a drugged out freak and so was everyone else in that race.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
motivator1777a4c14d88ff9fe8e23b7d53.jpg

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Bolt's improvement in performance can be accredited largely to the fact that he is still maturing as a human. The kid is only 23 years old. Males do not typically reach peak muscular maturity until they are 25. We can expect him to improve for another couple of years, at least.

Another fact that gives him an advantage is his height of 6'5". Running speed is determined by two factors: stride length and stride frequency. Sprinters train specifically to improve both of these aspects of performance. with all other factors being roughly equal among top sprinters (access to coaching, stride frequency, nutrition, shoes, etc.) it makes sense that Bolt is dominant.

It was only a matter of time before a sprinter of his height and with the biomechanical structure (origin and insertion points of quads, hams, glutes, and calves), and muscle fiber composition (predominately glycolytic white fibers) would come along and smash a lot of records.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
Bolt's improvement in performance can be accredited largely to the fact that he is still maturing as a human. The kid is only 23 years old. Males do not typically reach peak muscular maturity until they are 25. We can expect him to improve for another couple of years, at least.

Another fact that gives him an advantage is his height of 6'5". Running speed is determined by two factors: stride length and stride frequency. Sprinters train specifically to improve both of these aspects of performance. with all other factors being roughly equal among top sprinters (access to coaching, stride frequency, nutrition, shoes, etc.) it makes sense that Bolt is dominant.

It was only a matter of time before a sprinter of his height and with the biomechanical structure (origin and insertion points of quads, hams, glutes, and calves), and muscle fiber composition (predominately glycolytic white fibers) would come along and smash a lot of records.

stride frequency, aka cadence. Always been my thesis, that Bolt has coined onto the cadence miracle.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Lol....I hear he did a recon on this particular track last February in the snow. The last 25m of the track was all snow, and he just ran through it. Legend.
Did he also train during christmas?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BanProCycling said:
The point about the Jamaican testing regime, which was roundly criticised in July of this year, is it is not thorough at all. Very different to cycling and its blood passports.

A lot of you guys are going to have to start following athletics soon methinks, if you want to continue to get your little scandal buzz.

LOL. The UCI thorough? The UCI hasn't been roundly criticized for their antidoping stance, or lack thereof? You just have to look at the reaction of McQuaid this year alone to gauge how importantly the UCI regard doping. He refused Kohl's offer into divulging means by which dopers could be caught and then he did a double take on retesting for CERA (first no, and then selective, but still not outright testing). Mmmm, me thinks that's really thorough.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
1996 World Record 9.84
2008 World Record 9.72
(periodically, in between these two dates are incremental drops in the record; can't remember them all, just saw the chart briefly on the TV)

2009 World Record 9.58

i.e., nothing like this big a drop in the WR in recent past

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Lol....I hear he did a recon on this particular track last February in the snow. The last 25m of the track was all snow, and he just ran through it. Legend.

You KNOW Tyson Gay was too lazy to go over and test the track.

I hear Bolt has the heart the size of a pumpkin....I know it is true because this doctor said it.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
mikkemus23 said:
He has had some huge performance gains from 2007 to 2008.
Maybe he had cancer?

I have nothing to add but to say that slayed me. I think he's clean. If you did cheat running 100m in 9:58 is not a good way to allay supicious :D Hmm then again I suck at poker the brazen double bluff ftw.

Digger said:

It's a real shame you haters don't believe in miracles.

God only knows how fast he'll really go when he is a fully matured man in two years. I'm thinking under 9 seconds, easy. And if he keeps training while others are sitting around, maybe under 8.

A

Anonymous

Whats he on? He's on his legs busting his ass 8 hours a day, what are you on?

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

i heard he even thought he didn't 'get it', so he went over it again :eek: amateurs like gay and powell have so much to learn

Alpe d'Huez said:
It's a real shame you haters don't believe in miracles.

God only knows how fast he'll really go when he is a fully matured man in two years. I'm thinking under 9 seconds, easy. And if he keeps training while others are sitting around, maybe under 8.

Did you see his face as he crossed the line? See how much weight he could lose...change the shape of the body, but stay the same weight, and he could get down to 5 secs.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
i heard he even thought he didn't 'get it', so he went over it again :eek: amateurs like gay and powell have so much to learn
his wind tunnel testing and introduction of technology has revolutionised the sport. It has no relationship to the sport we once knew as running.

TRENDING THREADS