• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boonen on coke - again!?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

a wife beater and child molester...

pretty amazing linking up feelings about pedeophilia, spousal abuse and this guy doing a few lines...gee, why not talk about some guy who kills neighborhood children and makes delicious stew for the poor? yeah, I guess you are right....where IS the line?

Alpe d'Huez said:
Would you feel that way about a co-worker? An employee? How about a police officer? Teacher? Airplane pilot?

How would you feel if a rider were doing methamphetamines? Selling EPO and HGH? How about dealing PCP and cocaine?

What if he were a wife beater? A child molester?

I think the decision by QuickStep is fair, and let the Belgian courts deal with his situation how it fits their legal system.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Boonen's already gone into "full on confessional mode" trying to rid his demons away by telling his sordid story to the press. Its fairly standard stuff for junkie's. He will use again and I don't think we'll see him on a bike again. This is the end. The end for Boonen. What ever happened to that lovely girl he went out with from his teenage years ? Once he moved to Monaco he went crazy. Started dating a 16 year old, dressing in a toga and taking more gear than a east german athlete..... sad story. I tell you what thou..... if someone said to me that I could have a coke addiction, die young and win Paris-Roubaix I'd take it......

A

Anonymous

Kazistuta said:
No matter what, you're still sounding a tad stoned now.....

smells like a bottle of jack to me... WBT is turning into a cross between oliver reed and sean kelly..

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
3 Strikes Your OUt

In a world that is riddled with drugs, there is zero tolerance for any kind of drug usage, performance enhancing or not. I do not know the man. I will not run him down, but his behavior is very offensive and disappointing. I personally do not believe cocaine is everywhere. If you have money, it may seem that way and probably is to that person. So, what does that mean? The devil made me do it, and I should support the drug culture, since they are doing so much for all our families? Mr. Boonen obviously thinks of himself as a star and this is just another oops on his part. Bull! His behavior is an embarrassment to the sport and to humanity. His team organization is an even bigger disgrace. When all else fails, lets hide behind the "it's a disease" thing and he needs our support. If you are paying attention, this is the point where you are supposed to put your finger down your throat. Personally, I do not want to ever see this man ride a bike again. What are we supposed to believe? It was an honest race? A fair competition? The very best at their very best? Cavendish wins. Boonen looses. Was it really a race? Or, just another sad story.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I wonder if he's jotting down his cell number for the hookup on the playground after school.
75281545-480-90-480-70.jpg

May 9, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
If by engaged you mean "nosey", then you are correct that I am not that. I can't imagine any justification for sticking my nose into other people's business and telling them what they can or can not do unless that behavior is somehow harming me or my loved one's.

Perhaps what we are experiencing here is a cultural difference in approach to governance and the rights of a citizen/individual. Whatever it is, may I request that you please carry on the discussion without making personal judgments and insults of my character based on the very few words i've posted here?

So you don't care if your fellow citizens are engaging in and conducting illegal behaviour and activities? No care for the health and safety of of your fellow law-abiding citizens? As long as you and your family are AOK then all is right in the world?

Wow.
Stuff genocides are made of.

GO DI LUCA!
(I don't think he dopes any more...?)

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow, the strawman is very popular here! There is a huge gulf between a party boy snorting a few lines in his spare time and then still going out and doing his job better than anyone else can (at least in the spring!) and ...genocide! You guys are too much.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
Wow, the strawman is very popular here! There is a huge gulf between a party boy snorting a few lines in his spare time and then still going out and doing his job better than anyone else can (at least in the spring!) and ...genocide! You guys are too much.

And you are too little.

A

Anonymous

reubenr said:
In a world that is riddled with drugs, there is zero tolerance for any kind of drug usage, performance enhancing or not. I do not know the man. I will not run him down, but his behavior is very offensive and disappointing. I personally do not believe cocaine is everywhere. If you have money, it may seem that way and probably is to that person. So, what does that mean? The devil made me do it, and I should support the drug culture, since they are doing so much for all our families? Mr. Boonen obviously thinks of himself as a star and this is just another oops on his part. Bull! His behavior is an embarrassment to the sport and to humanity. His team organization is an even bigger disgrace. When all else fails, lets hide behind the "it's a disease" thing and he needs our support. If you are paying attention, this is the point where you are supposed to put your finger down your throat. Personally, I do not want to ever see this man ride a bike again. What are we supposed to believe? It was an honest race? A fair competition? The very best at their very best? Cavendish wins. Boonen looses. Was it really a race? Or, just another sad story.
offensive.. nah.. stupid yes..
cocaine everywhere.. beleive me mate it is.. easier to get hold of than pot nowadays
an emrassment to humanity.. wow.. right up there with pol pot and hitler im guessing
his team have offered support, good on em..
thinks of himself as a star.. well to be fair, in belgium he is..
doesnt for me effect any results.. i think its unlikely coke played a part in him winning the green jersey

as for a lifetime ban.. are you possibly suggesting that coke is worse than epo, or blood transfusions.. :eek:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The well known David Kopp, (Ex-Gerol) is also busted for cocaine. His B-sample confirmed the results of the A sample. He was caught in november 2008 after a local crit/kermiskoers (haha he took it a bit too literally) in Izegem.

Boonen is not expected to get a suspension from the Belgian Cycling Fed, because as they state: 'it was an out-of-competition control. Since he has never been found positive during competition, there is no reason to exclude him from competing (e.g. Belgian National Championship).' They are not sure yet what do in terms of WC, and they will await the standpoint of the UCI.

The Belgian cycling fed's director, Tom van Damme, blames UCI partly for the case Boonen. As he says: 'They (UCI) never informed us about his positive test in 2007, if they had, it all could have turned out differently'.

I think he is implying that they (the Belgian Cycling fed) could have taken action then, as in applying early-prevention methods, instead of letting him off the hook and let his addiction take its own course.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
CBCSports May 10/09 --

French tennis player Richard Gasquet has acknowledged he's been told he tested positive for cocaine.

The French tennis federation (FFT), said in a statement that it "would be very sad for Richard Gasquet himself, for tennis in general, for French tennis in particular, whose image would be dented" if the positive test was officially confirmed.

It added that it will take no action until it has been notified to do so by the governing body of tennis and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

"The FFT will follow developments in this affair with the greatest attention, will avoid passing a hasty moral judgment and take care to leave the player to organize his defence," the FFT said. "If the facts are nevertheless proven, it would be particularly regrettable in view of all the efforts the FFT makes with players about [drug] prevention."

Notice the similarites and differences between a French tennis star and a Belgium cycling star?

Cyclist gets a coke positive and every IMMEDIATELY rips him into shreds, or says, "Ah, whatever!".

Tennis star gets a coke positive and everyone involved says, "Let's handle this in a correct and sane manner".

Both Federations do say that the athletes drug usage will have "dented" their sports image.

I find it very interesting how the tennis federation makes "efforts...with players about drug prevention" and the cycling federations...well, I think the cyclist comes in last on their list of cares.

Perhaps the UCI et al should pull their head out of their 1950's "don't go changin'" *** and become modern entities that support the sport and the athletes in all areas, instead of battling between themselves for calendar supremacy!

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Ban Boonen for 2 years

Boonen is being allowed to race with no suspension after his cocaine arrest, because as Patrick LeFevere says, this was a non-cycling related incident.

Well, if Armstrong were to take EPO at home or at a night club out of season and then flunk an out-of-competition drug test, could not that also be called "non-cycling related incident"?

Cocaine is a banned substance in competitive cycling.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
jsbikers said:
Boonen is being allowed to race with no suspension after his cocaine arrest, because as Patrick LeFevere says, this was a non-cycling related incident.

Well, if Armstrong were to take EPO at home or at a night club out of season and then flunk an out-of-competition drug test, could not that also be called "non-cycling related incident"?

jsbiker...learn all the facts before quoting crap statements like this! and making a complete tit of yourself...:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well any drug illegal to the everyday person is illegal to a sportsman on or off the playing field so to speak. The UCI does not have killing on its list but I hope it will ban any rider who commits murder. :rolleyes:

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
jsbikers said:

Wow this is the dumbest thing I've read today, and I've seen LA twitter page. Those two are completely unrelated. As I have said before Tom go to rehab take care of your of your business, come back keep your nose clean, literally, and win a couple more classics and nobody will remember this. As for the guy that says that Tom taking Coke is a crime against humanity:confused:, you are a ridiculous individual.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
WThe UCI does not have killing on its list but I hope it will ban any rider who commits murder. :rolleyes:

Actually i don't think that is the UCIs responsibility or jurisdiction either. Unless the murder happened in a race. That's different.

boalio said:
Actually i don't think that is the UCIs responsibility or jurisdiction either. Unless the murder happened in a race. That's different.

Exactly. UCI is not the police. They should only cover cycling-relating offenses. Taking non-performance enhancing drugs is not doping and thus none of the UCI's business.

TRENDING THREADS